Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

This is my first post. There***8217;s an example for sale in town with 56k miles for 19.5k. This car is really appealing to me but I don***8217;t have extremely deep pockets. I could change fluids myself but that***8217;s probably it. I could bear a new clutch, tires, those semi-basic things. It has a full service history, which is a plus, but I haven***8217;t seen it. Anyway, I***8217;d appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks,

Raincity

·
Registered
10,676 Posts
There an uptick in maintenance costs when you get past 50k or 60k miles: brakes, belts and tensioner, tires, oil leaks, maybe a walnut shell blast if it has an N54, etc. But, compared to the depreciation on a new BMW, the period from 50k to somewhere around 100k miles is the "happy time."

Research what the prices are. Because the car's over seven model years old, the resale value has recently had an abrupt drop. That's because first-tier lenders (banks and credit unions) usually don't want to mess with a loan on a car that old. 100k miles is another point where old cars have a spike in depreciation, for the same reason.

Did you say "clutch"? If you've found a manual Z4, that's a unicorn. I didn't even know you could get a manual with a six-cylinder engine in those cars.

Be warned that BMW's of that era don't have spare tires, and with a Z4 there's no good place to put an aftermarket mini-spare or the flat full-size tire and wheel if you have a flat.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
The point is to buy what you will enjoy and put a grin on your face on that morning weekend drive. ---- Everyone's financial situation will vary, but as a general rule, your car payment should be no more than 15 percent of your monthly take-home pay.---- Then factor in the predictable maintenance costs for your particular model and you're on your way.---'I like my cars as much as the next guy, but I always buy pre-owned extremely well kept cars with cash and have applied the ^^15% rule on our home instead. No car is worth losing buckets of money over the first 5 years just for depreciation. As a matter of fact, one of our cars has appreciated over 60% since we've had it, but that's another story.

____Drive.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the helpful information. I drove it today and I was thoroughly impressed by the power and handling. I have never owned a performance car and my current car is a Fiat 500 Lounge. Needless to say, the Z4 was a revelation. I***8217;m fourty and as a kid I had posters of Ferrari 348s and 25th Anniversary Countaches, and Testarossas on my wall but never really considered what it would take to get those. Lol. Youth can be funny! I crave a spinalcord-crushing car like the Z4 but I discovered that this example needs 10k worth of work and I can***8217;t afford that. I envisioned having it for a year and selling it but I understand now why it hasn***8217;t sold in two months. There***8217;s a 2015 228i with 27k miles in town for 20k that I***8217;m going to see. I just have this perhaps mental glitch, from experience, that four cylinders are gutless. However, my spine will be the ultimate judge.

·
Registered
10,676 Posts
Thanks for the helpful information. I drove it today and I was thoroughly impressed by the power and handling. I have never owned a performance car and my current car is a Fiat 500 Lounge. Needless to say, the Z4 was a revelation. I'm fourty and as a kid I had posters of Ferrari 348s and 25th Anniversary Countaches, and Testarossas on my wall but never really considered what it would take to get those. Lol. Youth can be funny! I crave a spinalcord-crushing car like the Z4 but I discovered that this example needs 10k worth of work and I can't afford that. I envisioned having it for a year and selling it but I understand now why it hasn't sold in two months. There's a 2015 228i with 27k miles in town for 20k that I'm going to see. I just have this perhaps mental glitch, from experience, that four cylinders are gutless. However, my spine will be the ultimate judge.
Early N20/N26 engines had problems with the timing chain and guides. BMW corrected this with engines produced starting in January 2015. But, there are 2015 car built from 2014 through maybe February 2015 with the old-design chain and guides. Those older cars have a 7/70 warranty on the engine, but after that you're on your own. The new-design parts can be retrofitted to the older engines for about $3k.

Check the VIN to see when the car was made.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts