BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 528i with the standard heat/ac system. It has 2 vents in the back. When I turn on the heat, I've noticed that it blows hot hair from the front 4 vents, however, it only blows cold air from the back vents. There have been times it blows luke warm air (never hot like the front vents) however for the past month, it just blows cold air from the back vents, even when air is turned as high as it can be. What am i doing wrong? Anyone experience this? My next step is to take it in to be looked it. Note.... the manual says I need to turn some button in the back from blue to red, however, my car does not have such a button below the vents as the manual shows.

·
Premium Member
2018 540i MSport
8,763 Posts
If you mean the 2 vents on the back of the console, those are not for heat delivery. The heat vents are under the front seats, facing the back. The vents on the back of the seats are A/C vents. Normally, if you have the air distribution set on automatic (which I assume in cold weather would be delivering air to the floor vents), there shouldn't be much air coming from those vents. If you have air delivery mode forced to the upper dash vents, then yes, air will be coming out. You can rotate the wheels on the rear vents to close them.

·
<- Bailey
7,656 Posts
Look to what your own center vents are set. I keep my center vents set to cool, summer and winter.

·
Premium Member
2018 540i MSport
8,763 Posts
Look to what your own center vents are set. I keep my center vents set to cool, summer and winter.
He's talking about the rear vents not delivering hot air, I believe on the back of the console. These are not the heating vents. (See my reply above)

·
<- Bailey
7,656 Posts
He's talking about the rear vents not delivering hot air, I believe on the back of the console. These are not the heating vents. (See my reply above)
I know. But, I think, they are more connected to what the center vents are set at.

·
Registered
701 Posts
my back vents on the console get hot with the front set on hot

·
Registered
912 Posts
After reading this thread this morning it got me thinking about them. All of my previous BMWs had a red/blue dial on the back of the console where I noticed my '14 F10 doesn't. I decided to try some things when I went out before.

It was 34° outside and I had my heat set to 73°, AC enabled full auto mode (recirculate/fresh full auto too) where I pretty much keep it. My front dial is always on red in the winter and with it there my rear vents were blowing warm air. I turned the front dial to blue and the front vents almost instantly changed to cool air. The rear vents continued to blow warm even after 8 or 9 minutes and didn't change at all. The floor ducts were all blowing warm, front and rear, the same temp as the rear console vents. So for me, I have no idea how you can make yours not blow cold air :dunno:

·
Premium Member
2018 540i MSport
8,763 Posts
After reading this thread this morning it got me thinking about them. All of my previous BMWs had a red/blue dial on the back of the console where I noticed my '14 F10 doesn't. I decided to try some things when I went out before.

It was 34° outside and I had my heat set to 73°, AC enabled, where I pretty much keep it. My front dial is always on red in the winter and with it there my rear vents were blowing warm air. I turned the front dial to blue and the front vents almost instantly changed to cool air. The rear vents continued to blow warm even after 8 or 9 minutes and didn't change at all. The floor ducts were all blowing warm, front and rear, the same temp as the rear console vents. So for me, I have no idea how you can make yours not blow cold air :dunno:
Just curious -- you know, you don't have to put the front dial to red in winter (or blue in summer). The center vents will automatically blow HVAC-determined air temp when the blue/red dial is in the center (neutral) position. The dial overrides the HVAC chosen temp, for example, if you WANT cool air to the upper cabin when heat is blowing. Are you one who selects upper vents all the time, even in winter? Because otherwise, you should only be getting a minimum amount of flow through those vents, unless the cabin temp has reached the set point and the system pushed a small amount of air through them (i.e., mixed mode).

·
Registered
912 Posts
Just curious -- you know, you don't have to put the front dial to red in winter (or blue in summer). The center vents will automatically blow HVAC-determined air temp when the blue/red dial is in the center (neutral) position. The dial overrides the HVAC chosen temp, for example, if you WANT cool air to the upper cabin when heat is blowing. Are you one who selects upper vents all the time, even in winter? Because otherwise, you should only be getting a minimum amount of flow through those vents, unless the cabin temp has reached the set point and the system pushed a small amount of air through them (i.e., mixed mode).
Yes, I know. I just don't like cold air blowing out of the vents in the winter, even if it's a minimal amount. It's just my preference, just like I like the coldest air blowing from all of the vents in the summer, so I put the dial on blue in the summer. I use 73° in full auto year around with the AC enabled and pretty much never touch it and I am always comfortable. :thumbup:

·
Registered
736 Posts
Yes, I know. I just don't like cold air blowing out of the vents in the winter, even if it's a minimal amount. It's just my preference, just like I like the coldest air blowing from all of the vents in the summer, so I put the dial on blue in the summer. I use 73° in full auto year around with the AC enabled and pretty much never touch it and I am always comfortable. :thumbup:
Same here

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Pictures of Vents

Ok.. the posts are useful. Ive attached 2 photos of my vents. I played around with it some more and its actually blowing hot hair now (go figure). What I found out is with the air blows from front vents hot, it also blows from arm rest vents hot. When you set the air to blow at your feet, it will blow below seats and at your feet in front, but it still comes out the arm rest vents. Only way to shut off arm rest vents is to use the defroster only, or close them. At any rate, seems to be blowing hot air now and Ill keep an eye on it.

Attachments

·
Registered
912 Posts
For your back seat passenger's benefit, I'm glad you got it figured out. :thumbup: Since I only use mine in auto mode, ignore anything I've said, since I have no idea how manually configuring your settings would factor here.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts