BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Ride On!
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, looking to join the ranks here but first need to find the right car. Local dealer has an executive demo 2012 535i with 3k miles and the following packages: Cold Weather, M Sport, Premium, Technology. MSRP is $63,745 and invoice is about $58,800. What would you guys offer?

Thanks in advance!

· Everything's Bigger in TX
7,193 Posts
Do this. Tell the dealer, quite honestly, I can get a 2012 at $500 over invoice and the less any applicable credits ($3,500 options, any loyalty or USAA??). Tell him why would I buy this car with 3k miles that's been driven by someone who doesn't care about it and can't be CPO'd over a new car? There's only one answer....money, and it's got to be a fairly sizable amount. Make him make you the first offer. If it's not at least $3k what you can get off a new one, walk. Probably more, even.

· Everything's Bigger in TX
7,193 Posts
I would skip it entirely and buy a Lexus. Your wallet and your back will thank you endlessly.
Back?

I've taken this car on trips of 300 plus miles at a clip and never had one issue with my back.

· Registered
796 Posts
Now that is sound advise, if one want to save a few bucks, get a Lexus, better yet, get a Hyundai Genesis.
To be provocative here...nothing terribly wrong with the Genesis....a Spec-R V8 430 HP with everything loaded is 46K which I'm confident you can get it down to a little bit more than 40 haggling hard....is not a 550 but I may consider one brand new (and the long warranty) compared to a demo RWD 535i...

You can use the extra cash for something else.....

Another iron to consider in the 60K park is the CTS-V...

· Registered
7,119 Posts
To be provocative here...nothing terribly wrong with the Genesis....a Spec-R V8 430 HP with everything loaded is 46K which I'm confident you can get it down to a little bit more than 40 haggling hard....is not a 550 but I may consider one brand new (and the long warranty) compared to a demo RWD 535i...

The practical side of me agrees with you :)

· Ride On!
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
But then I would have to give up my membership to Bimmerfest and join Hyundaifest.

· Registered
1,800 Posts
Do this. Tell the dealer, quite honestly, I can get a 2012 at $500 over invoice and the less any applicable credits ($3,500 options, any loyalty or USAA??). Tell him why would I buy this car with 3k miles that's been driven by someone who doesn't care about it and can't be CPO'd over a new car? There's only one answer....money, and it's got to be a fairly sizable amount. Make him make you the first offer. If it's not at least $3k what you can get off a new one, walk. Probably more, even.
This.

Have you ever test driven a car? How did you drive it? Imagine 50-100 people doing the same thing.

For me, I would only get a demo if the cost savings were orders of magnitude greater. It would probably require me to be at least $6,000-$7,000 under invoice.

· East Coast Commuter
4,737 Posts

You are correct. I test drove a CTS-V and was very impressed with it for the level of performance you get at that price point. My realtor has a Genesis and I have to admit it is a very nice car, again for the price point. I perfer German cars and will pay extra for them, but there is no denying that the CTS-V and the Genesis are great cars at their respective price points.

Hopefully you have the premium seats...
He does as do I. The standard seats in the 5 series leave much to be desired and most of us on the fest have the sport or M sport packages which came standard with the multi-contour seat. I would not even buy this car if it did not come with the multi contour seat..... the seats are that good.

· Registered
168 Posts
You are correct. I test drove a CTS-V and was very impressed with it for the level of performance you get at that price point. My realtor has a Genesis and I have to admit it is a very nice car, again for the price point. I perfer German cars and will pay extra for them, but there is no denying that the CTS-V and the Genesis are great cars at their respective price points.

He does as do I. The standard seats in the 5 series leave much to be desired and most of us on the fest have the sport or M sport packages which came standard with the multi-contour seat. I would not even buy this car if it did not come with the multi contour seat..... the seats are that good.
For 2013, there is no longer a Sports package. BMW also removed MC seats from the MSport package. It's now just a standalone option.

I too looked into the Hyundai Genesis R-Spec before buying a 535i. The Genesis is a great car, but at the end of the day, I could not bring myself to spend ~$50K for a Hyundai. There's no denying that optics and perception matter for me. Nothing wrong with that.

· East Coast Commuter
4,737 Posts
For 2013, there is no longer a Sports package. BMW also removed MC seats from the MSport package. It's now just a standalone option.

I too looked into the Hyundai Genesis R-Spec before buying a 535i. The Genesis is a great car, but at the end of the day, I could not bring myself to spend ~$50K for a Hyundai. There's no denying that optics and perception matter for me. Nothing wrong with that.
Good point on the multi contour seats. BMW's practice of decontenting their cars continues. In any event, if I buy another 5 series (I probably will not) I will require it be ordered with the multi contour seats.

On the Genesis. Yes I see what you are saying, but you are also missing the point. The R spec compares to a 550i at 328i money. Think about that for a second. If you get past the cheap Korean car bias you can see how that presents an incredible value for the money. Now, I understand you would rather have a quality German made car and you are willing to pay for it (I am the same way), but to someone who is not a "driver" the Genesis will be more than enough to make him or her happy. BMW's are for people who understand the difference between driving and riding. I, despite my BMW preference (see my sig), am not so beholden to BMW that I cannot see the value in the Genesis because the value is there. There is a reason why we see so many of these things on the road.

· Registered
339 Posts
I use to own an 09 Genesis 4.6 along with my 550i xdrive, and while it was a fast and comfortable car, it just did not feel like a driver's car. I would call the car soulless. While the Spec-R version may enhance the car's capabilities, the car almost looks too big to be a decent handler. We have now traded the Genesis for a more family friendly JX35 and I don't really miss the Genesis. Another thing to note when purchasing a Genesis is that when service time comes, there are no loaners and you are stuck in the same waiting area as an Accent buyer.

· Registered
796 Posts
Now, I understand you would rather have a quality German made car ...
I definitely agree on the driving dynamics where Hyundai still has some fine tuning to do despite the specs and parts are, on paper, top notch (dual wishbone suspension, very stiff chassis, incredibly creamy V8, 8 speed, etc...), however as quality goes, nowadays we can definitely talk about quality Korean car when we talk about the Genesis...if i recall correctly, one Bimmerfest user that actually own both the Genesis and the F10 went as far as saying that for some measurements of quality, he thought the Genesis was actually better, incredibly as it may seem....

While the Spec-R version may enhance the car's capabilities,
The R-Spec has definitely imrpoved the driving dynamics, I personally tested one and I was very impressed by the engine and chassis and I could not believe what you were getting at that price.....is not F10 yet(need a bit more polish) but I have to admit that between an R-Spec and a RWD 535 I would probably go for the Genny......with the 528, especially with the new 4 bangers, there is no context, Genesis all the way....

Lastly, let's remember that the Genesis does not target only a 5 Series and the Infiniti M....but Lexus and Mercedes as well, so it has some sort of "double mission" where compromises are the necessary evil.....

the car almost looks too big to be a decent handler.
Car size is almost identical to the f10 and identical wheelbase as well....

I recently did look at the new Hyundai Azera and I think is the best dramatic and elegant looking FWD on the market (inside and outside), if Hyundai can do as well with the new generation Genesis....

· Registered
6,198 Posts
Good point on the multi contour seats. BMW's practice of decontenting their cars continues. In any event, if I buy another 5 series (I probably will not) I will require it be ordered with the multi contour seats.

Alpine, just curious, why would you probably rule out the 5 series as your next car?

· Ride On!
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok guys, change of vehicle and tactic for me. The 2012 535i demo deal fell through (actually didn't even get started as they are sticking to $59k for a 3000 mile used car and wouldn't budge, that's without adding tt&l). I am in negotiations for a 2012 535i MSport with an MRSP of $64,520 with an invoice of $59,530. Their last offer is $61,500 out-the-door. From my understanding, that puts the selling price at about $56k without tt&l. Should I pull the trigger?

· Registered
168 Posts
Ok guys, change of vehicle and tactic for me. The 2012 535i demo deal fell through (actually didn't even get started as they are sticking to $59k for a 3000 mile used car and wouldn't budge, that's without adding tt&l). I am in negotiations for a 2012 535i MSport with an MRSP of $64,520 with an invoice of $59,530. Their last offer is $61,500 out-the-door. From my understanding, that puts the selling price at about $56k without tt&l. Should I pull the trigger?
Not bad. I would get it if it has everything you want (and nothing you don't need).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.