BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,
I have a 2012 535i, which I got last month. last week I noticed a rattling noise, which appears to be from transmission tunnel in back of the car close to back seats, which we only can hear from insdide. This is happening when the the RPM is in the range of 1500 - 1750. I can reproduce it even when the car is not moving by pushing the accelerator. While driving I can hear it on slow speed. We can not hear any rattling noise outside of the car. Also the noise is not easy noticeable while driving , specially when windows are down, or the audio or AC are on.

Dealer had the car for 4 days and there were not able to identify the cause.

I was wondering if anyone had similar issue?

· Registered
426 Posts
Hello,
I have a 2012 535i, which I got last month. last week I noticed a rattling noise, which appears to be from transmission tunnel in back of the car close to back seats, which we only can hear from insdide. This is happening when the the RPM is in the range of 1500 - 1750. I can reproduce it even when the car is not moving by pushing the accelerator. While driving I can hear it on slow speed. We can not hear any rattling noise outside of the car. Also the noise is not easy noticeable while driving , specially when windows are down, or the audio or AC are on.

Dealer had the car for 4 days and there were not able to identify the cause.

I was wondering if anyone had similar issue?
I have but only when the car is warming up. It sounds horrible, like a bad wastegate rattle and as the rpms settle the waste gate tightens and the sound goes away. It's frustrating and embarrassing.

· Registered
521 Posts
I have but only when the car is warming up. It sounds horrible, like a bad wastegate rattle and as the rpms settle the waste gate tightens and the sound goes away. It's frustrating and embarrassing.
If my windows are down or the door is open, there is an unpleasant noise from the engine for a few seconds, but I was under the impression that is typical of direct injection. And I cannot hear it if the doors are closed and the windows are rolled up.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dealer can easily reproduce it. First they told me that lack of proper insolation between the fuel tank and body is causing it. They said they fixed the insolation and the noise is gone. I went to dealer and noticed it so left the car. Then they said that they feel that the fuel hose is hitting the body so making the noise and they properly fixed it. I went to pick up the car again and still noise was there.

· Everything's Bigger in TX
7,193 Posts
I have this too. When I drive out of my building at work, I am sandwiched between the building and a retaining wall. When the windows are down and the engine is cold, the rattle coming under load is pretty bad.

And no, it's not direct injection as someone else said. That happens at all times.

· Registered
426 Posts
I have this too. When I drive out of my building at work, I am sandwiched between the building and a retaining wall. When the windows are down and the engine is cold, the rattle coming under load is pretty bad.

And no, it's not direct injection as someone else said. That happens at all times.
I'm pretty sure its a wastegate rattle, I just haven't had time to take my car to the dealer to get this looked at, hopefully I can make it next week.
I had the same type of rattle on my n54 right before I got my turbos replaced.

· Registered
3,193 Posts
Dealer can easily reproduce it. First they told me that lack of proper insolation between the fuel tank and body is causing it. They said they fixed the insolation and the noise is gone. I went to dealer and noticed it so left the car. Then they said that they feel that the fuel hose is hitting the body so making the noise and they properly fixed it. I went to pick up the car again and still noise was there.
I would call BMW customer relations and tell them this detailed story and that you are not happy. They will open case file for you. I was able to get a months payment out of it.

I'm pretty sure its a wastegate rattle, I just haven't had time to take my car to the dealer to get this looked at, hopefully I can make it next week.
I had the same type of rattle on my n54 right before I got my turbos replaced.
I think the wastegate rattle for the N55 is different than what the OP is experiencing. The WG rattle comes from the front of the car at the passenger side. Sadly this is normal and occurs on cold starts but goes away quickly. The same thing happens in my 335i. I spoke to the shop foreman and he said that they looked at many different N55 engines and they all behave the same. However, he said the BorgWarner's B03 turbocharger is incredibly reliable and that he has not seen a single failure. Where as, the N54 turbo failure was a common occurrence.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I do not think the issue I have is from engine or turbos because there is no noise outside of the car. The noise is coming from inside of the car and it is only possible to hear when the windows are closed and AC/Audio are off.

Are there any instructions/suggestions for the most effective way of reporting this to BMW customer relations?

· Registered
3,193 Posts
I do not think the issue I have is from engine or turbos because there is no noise outside of the car. The noise is coming from inside of the car and it is only possible to hear when the windows are closed and AC/Audio are off.

Are there any instructions/suggestions for the most effective way of reporting this to BMW customer relations?
yes call:
Customer Relations:

1-800-831-1117

In a diplomatic way, describe the issue that you are having. They will open a case file for you and a relationship manager will call you back in a couple days. Explain to him the problem, that the same issue has been attempted repair several times without solution on a brand new car and that you wish to know what the options/solutions are going forward. They will call the dealer and look into it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.