Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been on this board for about 10 years. I bought my F13 650 coupe in December of 2012 (it replaced the 2006 650 we had prior). It was one of the Vermillion Red Metallic Launch cars fully loaded. Beautiful machine....

While it was primarily my Wife's car, I drove it regularly (about 50%) and it was an awesome beast. Too much power for the chassis, but once it got going it was a rocket-tank!

I had the dreaded DTM at about 12K miles in 2013 which was fixed under warranty. I had the CCP performed promptly when it was announced.

While it did consume increasingly more oil, it was otherwise reliable. Last August I had a coolant leak and the dealership said I needed a new radiator. I authorized $1.5K. When I picked up the car, the check engine light was on. I left the car with them and it needed new injectors on one bank. The dealership was reasonable (given the circumstances) in that BMW paid 75% of the cost, so I was on the hook for ~$500 for the injectors....

All was good until December. At some point I noticed coolant leaking again and then the check-engine light went on a few days later. Arghhh. I brought back to dealership and said "my car is not fixed". They said different problems. Coolant is leaking from Y-pipe $1.5K and check engine light is bad injectors on the other bank of cylinders $3.5K!

I told them BS I wanted a new engine. They went back to BMW and they told me that if I paid the $5K for the issues, BMW would do any other repairs needed like valve guides to make the engine right (it was noted on the invoice that their offer was part of "class action lawsuit"). I will note that a new engine was NOT in the offing...repairing the old was what they offered....

After consulting with Wifey, she did not trust the car anymore, so we decided to sell the car to Carmax which I did last weekend (ouch). The car had 75K miles when I sold it and it was dealer maintained according to the standard BMW service schedule. It spent maybe 10K of those miles in bumper-to-bumper LA traffic, but most miles were highway miles.

My dealer was Irvine BMW and they were as accommodating as possible with my various issues over the years. Shout-out to them for doing what they could with a defective product. I figured that even with the substantial repairs, the tremendous heat had degraded everything under the hood and I don't have time to babysit a 6 year old car. Not worth the $5K investment required on my part given the recent history.

I want this to serve as fair warning to those contemplating a used purchase. The car was not abused, and was dealer maintained according to BMWs schedule. I had been contemplating a new 850 as her next car, but we will now stand down on that. No more first-model year BMWs for me! We have 2 other cars, so no need to rush.

As we walked away from the car in the Carmax "ownership transfer lane" it still looked as good as it did when we bought it. To my eyes (and hers) is was still gorgeous. When they started it up to pull it to their boneyard, a puff of blue smoke came out of the exhaust....the engine is toast.....it was a good ride while it lasted and I have no regrets. Caveat Emptor....Peace.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
BMW V8s have way too many problems. I doubt a later year 850 will be much better.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have the same trepidation about my 2013 650. Ticking time bomb. Mine has only 31K miles and only gets driven by the wife around town so engine would rarely get real warm from a long or spirited drive. We only drive it about 2500 mi per year and I got extended service agreement from BMW dealer last summer for another 3yr. So. . .we might put 10K on it over next 3yr and just hoping it does not become a headache from heat degradation, injectors or whatever . Love the looks, the HP, and the top down. But after 3yr, probably going to dump it.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Complete bull that the updated BMW V8 the N63TU is unreliable. It as as solid as any other high end engine. And at least the car it is attached to is gorgeous, unlike the mutant looking current Lexus models.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Well I hope its complete BULL. Up to now, my experience would agree with you. I read too much on this forum about the engine I guess. I keep telling myself its just 5% of the total having problems which about the norm for any high end car, so hope I'm part of the 95%:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Well I hope its complete BULL. Up to now, my experience would agree with you. I read too much on this forum about the engine I guess. I keep telling myself its just 5% of the total having problems which about the norm for any high end car, so hope I'm part of the 95%:thumbup:

Don't sweat it. That's exactly it. reading too much on a forum. Only the owners with issues post,
and often. If you go to any car Mfg forum, you will find guys complaining about some problems.
I'm interested in the new Benz GLE If you spend much time on the current forum for that SUV
you would never buy one, same with the X5.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts