BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks. We've been benz owners for years, and I'm looking at a used bmw now.

I noticed alot of noise about the engine and oil consumption issues. I'm a decent home mechanic and I do most of the work on our benz.

If a 2012 750i xdrive already had an engine replacement 40k miles ago, should I still be concerned? Or is that a fairly safe purchase? The car has just over 100K miles now.

Thank you for your thoughts!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Was it replaced with a new engine or a used engine?
I would have to assume New.. It was replaced at a BMW dealership.

I noticed some older forums of members getting their engines replaced at the dealer while it was under warranty or CPO warranty. Looks like that was the case for the car I'm considering.

·
Registered
2013 750i and 2015 740i
2,045 Posts
Speaking from experience here...avoid it if the engine has been replaced. It's a complicated procedure with a lot of detailed steps that can really give you problems if the work quality wasn't top notch. After two months in the shop and about a dozen visits later, I still have some minor mechanical annoyances that are unlikely to ever get fixed.

Not to mention that it's also a higher mileage N63 car with xDrive. I would recommend looking at a 2013+ 740i or 2014+ 750i instead.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I have been looking at both a 750Li and a Mercedes S63 AMG. What I have found is the S63 has issues as well. The difference is that some of them have very few issues whereas some have lots and lots of issues. I guess it is the luck of the draw on what you get. There is a S63 AMG for sale here locally and judging by the carfax it spent more time at the shop than it did in the owners garage.

·
former motorcycle rider
766 Posts
If it has a new engine from BMW, one could also assume that the CCP has been applied, although there is anecdotal evidence that it is not a guaranteed fix. Of course, not all N63 engines fail either.

So, the answer is: it depends. A lot of it is luck. A lot depends on what failed and caused the replacement.

Is it a one-owner car with all records? That would be nice. However, it is an older BMW with 100K miles, and that is quite frankly when they start getting needy. Lots of stuff to go wrong there besides the engine. If it's priced appropriately and you (as it appears) are not scared of fixing stuff yourself, then it's still a heck of a car to drive.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Just to come right out and say it, that N63 engine which was soon replaced with the N63TU had flaws in its design causing them fail. The TU version corrected many of the engineering flaws. I don't know if it is a matter of if but when the non TU will fail. That's why above it was mentioned to look at the later models.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If it has a new engine from BMW, one could also assume that the CCP has been applied, although there is anecdotal evidence that it is not a guaranteed fix. Of course, not all N63 engines fail either.

So, the answer is: it depends. A lot of it is luck. A lot depends on what failed and caused the replacement.

Is it a one-owner car with all records? That would be nice. However, it is an older BMW with 100K miles, and that is quite frankly when they start getting needy. Lots of stuff to go wrong there besides the engine. If it's priced appropriately and you (as it appears) are not scared of fixing stuff yourself, then it's still a heck of a car to drive.
It had two owners, the original owner and the CPO owner. Both took it to BMW for regular service every 10-12k miles, fluid changes, "Recommended Maintenance", etc.

If the engine isn't much of a concern anymore, what else should I look out for?

·
former motorcycle rider
766 Posts
If the engine isn't much of a concern anymore, what else should I look out for?
All that sounds good. The only things to "look out for" are the oil leaks and cooling system failures that will happen. Many people replace the cooling system (radiator, water pump, expansion tank, etc.) prophylactically at 100K or so.

The thing to remember, is that you are buying/owning a $100K car. Sure, it's not worth that now, but to replace it new will be over $100K right now. That's what it costs to maintain... there is sooooooo much crap on a 7 series (i.e. "features") that can go wrong. That's why they depreciate so badly, because they can be a money pit to maintain.

Not trying to scare you off, because they are great driving cars, and many of us think the trade-off is worth it. Just trying to help you be aware, this ain't no Honda.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Great cars but don't own one without a warranty. So many things go wrong.
I definitely plan to get an extended warranty. The Dealer is pushing a warranty from ASC. Anybody have experience with ASC and repairs to their BMW?

·
joro2819
210 Posts
I have a 09 750LI and my engi engine was replaced at 96k. I now have a 135k on the odometer without any problems at all. I do change my oil at 6 to 7.5k and I am very anal about not dogging it when engine is cold. I want a G11 but it runs great and I am having a hard time parting with it

Attachments

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I decided to go with a 2014 740Li xdrive. Has just over 100k miles but after a thorough inspection, looks like new brakes, tires, control arms and maybe rear air springs. I recently replaced the air springs on my wife's MB GL450. Unless somebody took the time to wipe down labels, plastic, and the rubber, I can spot new springs when I see them.

I can tell the previous owner was anal about taking care of it. The interior is practically untouched and the car was garage kept for sure!

Hopefully this works out well... Otherwise you all will be hearing from me frequently LoL!

Attachments

·
whughes
2,026 Posts
the tranny is the next thing to go. lifetime oil means as soon as it fails that's its lifetime, needs to be changed every 15k from the beginning, if starting at 100k , change it several (at least twice) times within a 1000 miles

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
the tranny is the next thing to go. lifetime oil means as soon as it fails that's its lifetime, needs to be changed every 15k from the beginning, if starting at 100k , change it several (at least twice) times within a 1000 miles
Good tip! Is there a way I can check the quality of the oil in case was being changed properly before?

·
Registered
2013 750i and 2015 740i
2,045 Posts
I wouldn't be that worried since it's a MY2014 with 100K, as those are probably highway miles. That being said, if the fluid hasn't been changed before, it's definitely time.

Sometimes dealers will refuse to change the fluid as preventative maintenance, so you may have to ask around. If you use an independent, make sure they are familiar with the process and have the right equipment. For example, the ~25 bolts on the pan needs to be installed in a specific order for the gasket to seat properly and the fluid needs to be within a specific temperature range when filling.

·
former motorcycle rider
766 Posts
There is a school of thought that if the fluid hasn't been changed in 100K miles, it's better just to leave it alone. My mechanic follows this theory.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts