BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope someone got out of this and can answer some of my questions.

Coolant and Oil mixed due to Oil filter housing gasket gone bad. Questions:
1.) Do I need to remove the Intake manifold to remove the screw behind the oil filter housing? or I need a special e-socket to remove the screw without removing the intake manifold? Lowering the alternator will help?
2.) Is there a drain plug in the radiator? I saw a white screw that needs a torx to open it, or do I need to use lower tube to drain it?

Having pain in my butt right now... Hope someone can help. Thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I hear ya brother, I'm dealing with the same issue right now:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=927909&highlight=
update:
1.) I did not remove the intake manifold to remove the screw behind the oil filter house. It's a tight area to remove the screw, used an esocket with flexible extension. removing this screw can be done, but a pain. I replaced this screw with a shorter one(1/8 shorter) and with a torx head.
My OLD oil filter housing was a plastic(brittle). BMW dealer gave me an aluminum housing, looks different from the plastic but it will work the same. Here's the part # 11428637812

2.) No radiator drain plug on this model. I removed the hose from the oil filter housing and bleed from there, did not removed all the oil but most of the oil will float in the coolant reservoir, just remove it with a rag thru the reservoir.

As long as you don't see any smoke coming from exhaust, your cylinder head is OK and there's no leak inside the engine. Hope this helps. It can be done.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts