BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For those 2012 X5 diesel owners without the Premium Sound Package, have you (or tried to) activated the pre-installed satellite radio? How is it done? Do you pay some kind of unlocking fee to the dealer/somebody else? Once you've activated the radio, how smooth is the process with Sirius to get the sat. radio working? Thanks!

Added info: on the 35i models this seems to be a $350 option, why not on the diesel (besides the obvious reason that BMW wants us to spend $1,500 on a premium sound system)

· Registered
29 Posts
It is part of Premium Sound, but also as a stand-alone option (atleast in 2011). It is optioned on my X5d (and using it). The dealer was supposed to activate, but was still only getting the preview channel. Called Sirius, they sent the signal and voila!

· Resident Curmudgeon
27,487 Posts
So the 2012 diesel X5 already has the satelite radio installed, just have to get it activated by Sirrus?
No. You have to get it activated using a BMS FSC code. Not by sirius

Just DO NOT buy it from a BMW dealer... multiple online sources for activation

· Fool on the Hill
237 Posts
If you can receive the one preview Sirius channel, your radio is already active, ready to run, but has no subscription from Sirius. Call Sirius with the radio number to buy a subscription. They will open up the subscription, but your car must be outdoors where the satellite can "see" it.

I suggest calling them while sitting in your car, using a cell or portable phone.

· Registered
452 Posts
Besides all that, for me Satellite radio sucks. I got 6mo for $20 and i still hate it. If you have Bluetooth just stream or play your playlist.
Satellite plays the same songs over and over (unless you are looking for sports and talk shows and so on).
Just make sure you really want satellite and it justifies the cost of getting to the point to activate it.

· Resident Curmudgeon
27,487 Posts
Ding ding ding

Winner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.