BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

· Registered
58 Posts
Hmm.. thanks so much for your reply.. very well thought out and expressed. Doubt I would buy new.. that depreciation once you roll off the lot.. just don’t wanna do that. Could lease, I suppose, but that may not be a great idea either. Will take everything into consideration.
Thanks again for your help!
If do not buy new you may be inheriting someone else’s lemon! I feel that I know all the “unique” quirks of my X5 after all these miles. Sort have a good feel for its “pulse”.

· Registered
4 Posts
Thanks So Much Gaucho! I really appreciate your info. My 2012 diesel X5 has only 70K miles which stumps me..
In any case, I’m still weighing it out but may just go for this expensive repair.. the part arrives at the BMW service center on Monday, but I haven’t signed on the dotted line as yet..
I have 2012 X5 35d. EGR cooler went out at 85,000 miles in 2018. Cost $1100 at dealership to get it replaced. This was after I gritched at them about having this problem at only 85,000 miles when diesels are supposed to run for hundreds of thousands of miles. Now have CEL caused by faulty temperature and level sensors in the SCR active tank. Must replace the entire SCR tank. Same dealership told me $3000 to fix. Part alone was $2200. I again complained and got nowhere. Ran into the owner of the dealership (who I know) and he told me BMW NA will not cut any slack on this issue. I was told by the SA that this was likely just the beginning of a long line of problems with this car. I have decided to fix it (not at dealership) and sell it as soon as the CEL goes away. Good luck.

· Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 125+K miles NOKIAN WR G4
24,556 Posts
I have 2012 X5 35d. EGR cooler went out at 85,000 miles in 2018. Cost $1100 at dealership to get it replaced. This was after I gritched at them about having this problem at only 85,000 miles when diesels are supposed to run for hundreds of thousands of miles. Now have CEL caused by faulty temperature and level sensors in the SCR active tank. Must replace the entire SCR tank. Same dealership told me $3000 to fix. Part alone was $2200. I again complained and got nowhere. Ran into the owner of the dealership (who I know) and he told me BMW NA will not cut any slack on this issue. I was told by the SA that this was likely just the beginning of a long line of problems with this car. I have decided to fix it (not at dealership) and sell it as soon as the CEL goes away. Good luck.
Please post the VIN here so one of US is not stuck with undisclosed problems. CEL don’t just “goes away.”

· Registered
8 Posts
Since I own mine with 200k miles I have spent over $21000 all in on all services, oil changes, tires evert 35k miles, repairs of all types (minor and major). Most of this was spent in past 10k miles due to EGR related items for the most part (new catalytic converters, etc) and one major mechanical failure which I used the dealer for since I was traveling. So at least have of my expense has been at over 190k miles. I did not expect so much with the EGR system but if you read enough it is not that uncommon with X5d‘s. The only real mech failure was a flywheel that snapped and dealer cost total was $4200. Had to do it due to situation.

I know I will now probably be able to put another 50-75k miles if I so desire. Car still looks new when washed and drives perfectly.

it is a value proposition- you can sell at 75k miles and buy new - and take the nasty depreciation that comes with it first 3-5 years. No doubt it is a hassle to repair but I do believe that if economics is a significant consideration, repair will come on top. The problem is that depreciation is hidden until you have to sell while repairs smack you in the face!
I agree with the value proposition comment. I've owned my 2012 X5d LCI for 10 years and have 180K miles on the odo now. Many road trips with it and towing a 4000 lb boat every now and then. I've experienced many of the issues that we all talk about in this forum. Latest was a fuel pump failure. This is the first part that I've had to have the dealer replace rather than doing it on my own after the warrantee ended. Yes the DEF tank sensors fail and the thermostat needs regular attention as does the DPF (regeneration is important! a monthly drive on the freeway for an hour will keep it pretty clean.) CEL is annoying but with a $150 diagnostic hand held tester or free software, a cable and a computer you can check it out and clear the codes and keep and eye on things. Regular air and fuel filter changes, oil changes, transfer case oil change and occasional hot shots diesel extreme treatment keep things running.

The EGR cooler failure is common as well. It usually end up being the cooler valve return spring failure on the cooler down by the turbo end. It's a simple circular spring that breaks over time due to the heat from the turbo. If you feel around under the lower left end of the cooler, you'll find the valve, it's attached to a vacuum controller that the spring is attached to. The valve should snap shut on its own when the engine is cool. If yours is not, then the spring if broken and you need to replace the EGR cooler. You can buy an OEM (Bosch or Mahr) for about $400. If you're handy with a wrench it's about 2 hours effort max to replace the cooler. Be sure to replace the gaskets and vacuum hoses on the cooler and might as well replace the thermostat while you're at it since it's there under the cooler and easy to do at this point. Any independent mechanic can do this for you as well for a lot less than the dealer.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.