Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at a very well maintained 2012 X5 35d with just over 150,000 miles. All regular maintenance done, super clean. DPF has not been replaced.
Should I buy for under $10,000 or run away? Willing to invest in this beauty but not if it***8217;s more time in the shop vs driving.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 98K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
16,348 Posts
Trust and verify. 150K+ suggests good maintenance at 20K miles per year, but verify.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Clean CARFAX, one owner, verified BMW and reputable service shops for all maintenance and repairs.
Has new rotors front and back, new tires all around. This would be my first BMW though I***8217;ve wanted one since the mid 80s

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 98K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
16,348 Posts
CarFax is meaningless in re maintenance. Private owner or sales lot? If private owner get the BMW repair and maintenance VIN history from the dealer through the PO. New tires hide alignment issues. Get it aligned to 0.02° toe-in, camber front and rear balanced mid-range left and right. NOT ***8220;an alignment***8221;! Those precise numbers.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Maintenance history matters. New rotors? New pads as well? Carfax doesn’t mean much. It would be great for you to get a pre purchase inspection (PPI) before you purchase it.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,096 Posts
Are you paying a mechanic or DIYing?

ATF ever get changed? (Or did they decide that isn***8217;t ***8216;regular***8217; maintenance?)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would be hiring a mechanic for most of the work except oil changes.

Oxygen sensor replaced
Lower control arm(s) replaced
Front brake rotor(s) replaced
Power steering fluid flushed/changed
Power steering checked
Front differential fluid flushed/changed

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,096 Posts
So ATF never serviced, 150k miles? Personally Id walk.

Other people say 'oh these modern BMWs, the fluid lasts a lifetime'

When I ask "So what the transmissions lifetime" they say 150k..

Dealers are famous for talking people out of the "BMW recommended" 100k ATF change.... if car was serviced at BMW, this may be why.

Do you mean NOX sensor? and only one, not both??

This list is from Carfax? So obviously some history may be missing...

Recognize that an odd "BMW Diesel emissions issue" could result in quite a bit of 'shop or dealer guessing with your money' activity. Dealers can be as bad as a shop. Or you could be fine.

You REALLY need a PPI, with some that knows diesels and can look at the DPF parameters, old codes, last time cleared, etc etc

And I guess this is in USA? Wonder if it is a state with strict emissions standards.....

·
Registered
791 Posts
Run, and don't look back.

Most expensive car is a used BMW. Specially a diesel.

You can get a lot less mileage car in a 2012.

·
beemlyfe
683 Posts
I would be hiring a mechanic for most of the work except oil changes.

Oxygen sensor replaced
Lower control arm(s) replaced
Front brake rotor(s) replaced
Power steering fluid flushed/changed
Power steering checked
Front differential fluid flushed/changed
No ATF service, why? I hope you're not attached, this is a mistake.

·
Do You Smell That?
419 Posts
My ability (and associated limitations) to repair a vehicle are major factors in the decision-making process.

If your plan is to hire out the work, this is not a good choice. What you save in the purchase price you'll more than make up for in repairs and deferred maintenance.

Good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you everyone.
Appreciate all of your feedback. This vehicle is at a dealer, is a one owner from my town and is priced well. I am/was skeptical with the 158k miles regardless of price.

I am aware of other makes that reach the 200k and more quite regularly with routine service. I may need to go in that direction or get an 80k diesel

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
No transmission service history is troubling. That is also not a long list of replaced parts. You will be due for other suspension parts, transmission service, other things. $800+ to start. PPI still recommended.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
With a solid PPI if it can back as a good vehicle would it still be too high in miles for a purchase? Looking to use for 2 years and 30k

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,096 Posts
With a solid PPI if it can back as a good vehicle would it still be too high in miles for a purchase? Looking to use for 2 years and 30k
1. A PPI isnt "one thing' that you can get anywhere and rely on it. every shop will have a different list of stuff they look at (or dont). Unless YOU get involved and tell them what YOU want inspected, you may not get a solid ppi that you can rely on. I recommend doing a CPO inspection checklist AND dump the DME (DDE in a diesel) and dumping t for any errors, old codes prior resets, non OBD stuff from all the modules. On a diesel, pay attention to ash/soot, DPF indicators.

2. Buying a car and thinking "I can do nothing for 2 years and 30k" is always a crapshoot. The 100% honest answer is: maybe. Im more of a buy, invest, maintain and drive forever. Someone above mentioned $800 minimum for ATF fluid/pan. and thats just a start. what are the tire tread depts? Pad thicknesses? My point is that 'bringing deferred maintenance up to current' is probably EASIER to calculate than "how much will I need to spend to get 30k out of it?"

3. I cant get by the ATF being original. Some people believe BMW has cracked the code on 'forever ATF'...Im not one of them. Oddly enough, ZF, who designed and manufactures the tranny has a 100k km change interval, or 60k miles (as I recall)

I recall a guy that bought a car but unfortunately never got the trans fully up to temp during his test drives. Bad news. Although he also didnt get a ppi.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Let me guess

You are attracted to this BMW mainly because of the low price even though 150k is a lot of miles for any car, German, Korean or Japanese.
This car has been driven for all its worth and then disposed off and you are picking it up for 10k dollars, which will cost you another 20k dollars to run it properly for 30k miles you plan to use.

This is the most stupid business sense I have ever seen

You would be better of buying a Hyundai and putting a BMW badge if that is what your ambition is aka, driving a Beemer . LOL !!

·
Registered
791 Posts
1. A PPI isnt "one thing' that you can get anywhere and rely on it. every shop will have a different list of stuff they look at (or dont). Unless YOU get involved and tell them what YOU want inspected, you may not get a solid ppi that you can rely on. I recommend doing a CPO inspection checklist AND dump the DME (DDE in a diesel) and dumping t for any errors, old codes prior resets, non OBD stuff from all the modules. On a diesel, pay attention to ash/soot, DPF indicators.

2. Buying a car and thinking "I can do nothing for 2 years and 30k" is always a crapshoot. The 100% honest answer is: maybe. Im more of a buy, invest, maintain and drive forever. Someone above mentioned $800 minimum for ATF fluid/pan. and thats just a start. what are the tire tread depts? Pad thicknesses? My point is that 'bringing deferred maintenance up to current' is probably EASIER to calculate than "how much will I need to spend to get 30k out of it?"

3. I cant get by the ATF being original. Some people believe BMW has cracked the code on 'forever ATF'...Im not one of them. Oddly enough, ZF, who designed and manufactures the tranny has a 100k km change interval, or 60k miles (as I recall)

I recall a guy that bought a car but unfortunately never got the trans fully up to temp during his test drives. Bad news. Although he also didnt get a ppi.

A PPI is only as good as the person who does it. It is not a standardized fixed testing.

A dumb mechanic will never do a thorough inspection and a great experienced mechanic will find a hundred faults.

You need to find a " decent" mechanic :bigpimp:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts