BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Which engine sound do you prefer?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I just purchased a 2012 528i with the new 4 Cylinder engine and was wondering if anyone has this sound also. Its a very slight rattle sound slightly noticeable while in cabin but when the hood is open you can definitely hear it clearly. Is this just how the new 4 cylinder engines sound or is it suppose to be completely silent in cabin? Anyone??

Also how do you like the engine sound of the new 4 cyclinder in the 2012 models?

·
Everything's Bigger in TX
7,121 Posts
What you are probably hearing is the sound of the direct injection system. The injectors are very loud and very noticeable at idle.

Personally, I do not think that the N55 sounds very good below 2,000 RPM which, given the transmission's 8 ratios, is where it spends a lot of time. Very diesel-like. Put it in Sport or give it the boot and it sounds great pulling to the redline.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I can not believe that bmw put 4 cylinder to new 528i!!! WTH????????? :cry::cry:
I love F10 shape and interior but I woud never buy F10 with 4 cylinder engine!!!! What a BS
I am sadly disappointed...:cry::cry::cry:

·
7,121 Posts
Oh geez....

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer

·
Registered
325 Posts
I drive 2012 528 loaner right now and I think this 4-cyl engine rattles like diesel.
Also car vibrates a lot, and especially when starting or stopping (so basically on each red light, if you do not cancel AutoOff feature) :tsk:

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I am perplexed by the 5 series 4 banger.

The car still weighs 3800 lbs, produces 240hp, gains a lot of vibration from being a 4 banger, and for all this...

you get one or two more miles per gallon. :dunno:

I am struggling with a $50k 4 cylinder car.

I think they should have made is a 528d, there would have been much more reason to get one.

·
Registered
166 Posts
These guys in Munich, Germany should read it:
There is nothing to listen to when u driving your bmw but straight 6 cylinder petrol engine and every single one bmw fan will tell you that period

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
I remember hating the sound of every 318i that drove by back in the days. I was in the service department last week and the sound of a 528i gave me a bad flashback.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I drive 2012 528 loaner right now and I think this 4-cyl engine rattles like diesel.
Also car vibrates a lot, and especially when starting or stopping (so basically on each red light, if you do not cancel AutoOff feature) :tsk:
It does rattle like a diesel. From some research im assuming its the direct injection turbo engine. I noticed many other cars with this engine has this rattling sound such as lexus and mercedes. Its hard to imagine these car companys still havent figured out a way to void these sounds from the injection engines.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am perplexed by the 5 series 4 banger.

The car still weighs 3800 lbs, produces 240hp, gains a lot of vibration from being a 4 banger, and for all this...

you get one or two more miles per gallon. :dunno:

I am struggling with a $50k 4 cylinder car.

I think they should have made is a 528d, there would have been much more reason to get one.
So im not the only one here that is struggling with this car also? Do you also have the rattling sound during idle? And the start/stop vibration every time you fully come to a stop and release brakes to accelerate?

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
So im not the only one here that is struggling with this car also? Do you also have the rattling sound during idle? And the start/stop vibration every time you fully come to a stop and release brakes to accelerate?
I have a 2011 535i, no auto start/stop, and no funnny noises. At least not yet. :D

·
Premium Member
2022 540i MSport
9,684 Posts
I have an '11 535i, haven't had a chance to test drive a new 4-cyl 528i. Reminds me of when I had a C240, small V6. Mercedes decided to put the 4-cylinder "Kompressor" engine in a C-Class, called C230 coupe (a 4-door version too). I test drove that, couldn't compare at all to the smoothness of the 6. I'm fearful BMW will have the same result. The C230 was cancelled one or two years later.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
You're right... I've been on the crusade over this damn 'feature' (even though I don't have it, thank God) but when I think of the engine starting and stopping all the time... being a 4-banger... that just does it! :rofl:

·
7,121 Posts
I have an '11 535i, haven't had a chance to test drive a new 4-cyl 528i. Reminds me of when I had a C240, small V6. Mercedes decided to put the 4-cylinder "Kompressor" engine in a C-Class, called C230 coupe (a 4-door version too). I test drove that, couldn't compare at all to the smoothness of the 6. I'm fearful BMW will have the same result. The C230 was cancelled one or two years later.
4 cylinder now back in the C class in US. Only a matter of time before there is an E300 with it.

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.