BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been talking to a few local dealers and it appears as though there are very limited M3 allocations available. Is it already getting too late to order a 2012 M3? I know the car will be redesigned, but I didn't think I would have an issue this early in the 2012 model year.

·
Registered
8,181 Posts
Why would you think there would be a lot of allocations? Think it through.

This is my theory. BMW just doesn't create allocations for allocations sake. They create allocations based on perceived demand. In the last year of a model run, demand should be low. So they would reduce the allocations. Otherwise, there would be a lot of stock sitting on lots which could only be moved with discounting. They are managing supply to match demand.

Here's the strange thing. I expect later on, towards the end of production, there may be a spike in demand as folks want to get the last non-turbo M3, in what is probably its most reliable model year.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I recall the 3 series sedan coming out first, followed by the coupe and then finally the M3.

I would not expect the new M3 for a couple more years.:dunno:

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Why would you think there would be a lot of allocations? Think it through.

This is my theory. BMW just doesn't create allocations for allocations sake. They create allocations based on perceived demand. In the last year of a model run, demand should be low. So they would reduce the allocations. Otherwise, there would be a lot of stock sitting on lots which could only be moved with discounting. They are managing supply to match demand.
I didn't expect there to be a plethora of allocations, but I also didn't expect to potentially have issues with ordering a car a few months into the production cycle.

From a dealer perspective, what is the probability of my dealer finding me an allocation? I know that other area dealers have allocations (spoke with an out of state dealer that provided some information), but I wonder if any of these dealers would be willing to swap out an M3 allocation. I am in NJ and we are heading into winter... so, I would think the M3 market might be a little slower this time of year (or I could be mistaken). I am hoping a dealer would swap the M3 allocation for an AWD sedan (might higher demand).

Thoughts?

·
Registered
8,181 Posts
I am hoping a dealer would swap the M3 allocation for an AWD sedan (might higher demand).
You may be better served trying some more dealers, though your loyalty is admirable. Even if a dealer could give up an allocation, why would they? Allocations for the NEXT M3 would likely be based on the current year. A dealership can make a nice bit of money on the new model - such that they may even be prepared to give away cars to ensure future allocation.

How about European Delivery? The solution to all problems.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How about European Delivery? The solution to all problems.
This will be my alternative option. Not my ideal choice... I was able to go on a nice test drive with an 08 a few days ago and now I have the bug. I am distracted by how badly I want to have this car sitting in my garage. But, if I cannot grab one for a US delivery, I will do the ED. I have a trip to Germany scheduled for work in late January, so I would just try and take delivery around that trip. Save on travel. :thumbup:

·
Rocket Scientist
1,455 Posts
Were they not able to flex a regular E92 (328i or 330i) into an M3?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Were they not able to flex a regular E92 (328i or 330i) into an M3?
I haven't had a chance to work with them in more detail. I plan on speaking with my CA today to see if they can either 1) get an M3 allocation or 2) convert an existing allocation. I really don't want to change dealerships, but, if I have to, then I will :(.

If you have been following any of my other posts, I have been having a hard time finding an honest, straight-forward dealer in NJ. I finally found one I really like, and AFAIK they don't have an allocation at this time. :yikes: I will ask my CA to shoot me straight. If they cannot get one, them I will have to look elsewhere. As soon as I know I can get an allocation, I am dropping a deposit and ordering the car. I am not taking any chances. :D

·
Ich bin schneller
2,101 Posts
So you have a bug to get the car now, but are considering ordering the car or possibly ED. Are there no M3s on the lots? How about PCD? It would still require an allocation, but you could buy the car from any CA and have the car delivered to SC where you can do the PCD thing and then drive your car up to Jersey afterwards.

·
///Multiple
4,525 Posts
But, if I cannot grab one for a US delivery, I will do the ED. I have a trip to Germany scheduled for work in late January, so I would just try and take delivery around that trip. Save on travel. :thumbup:
If you want to do an ED in late January the time to order is now! While some have done very short lead time EDs BMW suggests 3 months.

And of course we're talking about an 2012 M3 Coupe or Convertible, as the M3 Sedan is no longer being made. I mention this only because the car in your sig pic is a sedan.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you want to do an ED in late January the time to order is now! While some have done very short lead time EDs BMW suggests 3 months.

And of course we're talking about an 2012 M3 Coupe or Convertible, as the M3 Sedan is no longer being made. I mention this only because the car in your sig pic is a sedan.
I was actually able to get an allocation in NJ. I am going for the coupe.

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer

·
E92 M3 ED on 2/20/12!
254 Posts
Okay, stupid question, but I don't know the answer and haven't found it on the forum yet. What is an allocation? Doesn't BMW want to sell every car that it can? Why would they artificially create a supply problem?

·
Bimmerfest Founder
15,590 Posts
Okay, stupid question, but I don't know the answer and haven't found it on the forum yet. What is an allocation? Doesn't BMW want to sell every car that it can? Why would they artificially create a supply problem?
An allocation, in its broader sense, is a batch of production slots for the various BMW models that are allotted to BMW Centers monthly for specification
(both for stock and sold orders).

When thinking about a particular vehicle, it is a single "production number".

Allocations are based of Retail Forecasts which in turn are based on SPG (Sales Planning Guide), and sales history.

Dealers like to sell into the order bank (custom factory orders) because doing so boosts their "travel rate" (cars spend less time on lot, reducing day's supply).
So, for BMW Santa Barbara, the better I do at filling our order bank with Bimmerfest orders, the greater our monthly allocation will grow, and ultimately our
forecast and SPG will get back to where they were when I left Cutter Motors.

·
Greg Poland Pacific BMW
3,135 Posts
Mr. Shafer........... now that was well written.... that was a great breakdown on allocation. I hope more forum members read that so it can clear up the allocation questions that always seem to float around.

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Allocations are based of Retail Forecasts which in turn are based on SPG (Sales Planning Guide), and sales history.
Thanks for the explanation Jon. Maybe you can answer a question I have always had related to this.

How does a smaller dealer get around the chicken/egg situation with a low volume/high price car like say an M5? You don't sell many because you rarely have any on the floor, and you can't get any more on the lot because you don't sell many... vicious circle it seems?

Is there some way, without a sales trend like you described, to get BMW to allot you more of a particular model?

·
Bimmerfest Founder
15,590 Posts
Thanks for the explanation Jon. Maybe you can answer a question I have always had related to this.

How does a smaller dealer get around the chicken/egg situation with a low volume/high price car like say an M5? You don't sell many because you rarely have any on the floor, and you can't get any more on the lot because you don't sell many... vicious circle it seems?

Is there some way, without a sales trend like you described, to get BMW to allot you more of a particular model?
Yes, and it is called EUROPEAN DELIVERY... :)

That's how I got this one.

What's even crazier is that you get to depreciate from US MSRP in your lease, not ED MSRP. Makes for some disproportionately bitchen lease payments!!

:thumbup:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.