Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Short story - replaced pcv hoses in an attempt to stop oil burning off at idle.. no luck...took it to bmw - borescope revealed leaky oil seal bank 2 turbo. Fedexed a turbo from Bmw South Atlanta after stupid quote from local dealer (UAE). Installed turbo - no more oil smoke - fixed y-coolant pipe joiner which disintegrated when I touched it....followed by a coolant leak from the overflow tank...amazon rein replacement tank installed - fixed coolant leak; followed next day by a misfire on cyl 3 replaced all8 plugs (made another tool) and transposed cyl 3 coil to cyl 2 - fault followed - faulty coil - waiting on delivery from amazon

Made an oxy sensor removal tool from angle iron and a nut

The dreaded coolant ***8216;y***8217; connection

New snail installed

New coolant reservoir and cap (old leaked from seam between top and bottom halves)

Making spark plug tool

Hack for keeping plugs in a regular 12 point 14mm deep socket is to use a piece of rag that you can hang on to (helps position plug for install as well as holding it in to the socket for alignment). I dropped one and had to re-gap it to 0.7mm as per spec

Plugs looked ok

Faulty coil

N63 E70 X5 2012

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)

·
Registered
7,503 Posts
Wow. Congrats on completing a very technical repair and getting crafty with special tools. Respect.
How many miles on the car?

Sent from my iPad using Bimmerfest

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow. Congrats on completing a very technical repair and getting crafty with special tools. Respect.
How many miles on the car?

Sent from my iPad using Bimmerfest
Thanks man!
Car has done about 97000kms - about 60,000 miles - 2012 model here in the Desert of the UAE - it pains me to pay 3-5 times the equivalent USA BMW dealership price for parts and also labour to have something done when you know you are capable of doing it better!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update - replaced faulty coil and she’s back running again - no codes and no smoke (yet!) - think I’ll replace all 8 coils to be on the safe side (wife’s car so peace of mind!)

N63 E70 X5 2012

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
You sir are a very clever wise old owl! Many thanks for sharing several of your savvy work-arounds with us. Every hand here should be up in support! :thumbup:

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You sir are a very clever wise old owl! Many thanks for sharing several of your savvy work-arounds with us. Every hand here should be up in support! :thumbup:

Thanks for the support! Yeah not an expensive tool to buy (14mm spark plug socket) - more that I couldn’t find one at the local tool shops so would need to order one in...the 22mm oxygen sensor tool was a different story - wife had taken my toyota for the day so I had to improvise or face another day down a car....

As far as learning to weld - I bought a tig from Australia and had it sitting in my tool room waiting for this particular type of job to come up - not perfect but not bad for an amateur lol

N63 E70 X5 2012

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I sure hope your location is the USA! We need more of you innovators here to help jump-start our country and get it working again!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I sure hope your location is the USA! We need more of you innovators here to help jump-start our country and get it working again!

Unfortunately not - I’m working for a company in the middle east; but yes you are right - today’s thinking is more of a ‘throw it away and buy a new one’ attitude than a ‘can I fix it’ or ‘can I adapt something else to make it work better’ type attitude.
I was born on a south pacific island where we didn’t have access to parts off the shelf so we improvised and invented to get the job done! Too many of my peers are more in tune with their electronic devices more than knowing how to change a tyre these days...

N63 E70 X5 2012

1 - 11 of 11 Posts