BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just 7 months after warranty expired, my X3 with 52,000 miles overheated first to yellow, then red. Pulled over & let cool down. Called dealers but they are both 60 & 120 miles away so I dropped off at local AAA station. My son, a vo-tech teacher said it could be a thermostat or electric fan. Anyone else have this problem? How did you do? What did they find? I hope I didn't damage the head gasket or worse engine damage. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
The 35i is prone to both thermostat module and water pump failure. With the underbody aerodynamic panels, you're unlikely to find any moisture under the car to give you a warning. Whichever it is, have both replaced, and expect a bill that is north of $1000.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It looks like that's what it is. I think I've had it with BMW, this is my third and I've always had major problems. No more bummers for me, any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Not really. Take it to a good indy, or take it to the dealer.

You know what they say about owning a BMW outside of the warranty period. Overall, I've taken a few hits, but I'm mostly doing OK.

A 3rd but less likely possibility for the overheating is the transmission cooler.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not really. Take it to a good indy, or take it to the dealer.

You know what they say about owning a BMW outside of the warranty period. Overall, I've taken a few hits, but I'm mostly doing OK.

A 3rd but less likely possibility for the overheating is the transmission cooler.
Had it towed to the BMW dealer in AC, their conclusion was the same: replace the water pump and the thermostat module =$1,400! Ouch! PLUS they said I needed new brakes and four new tires and an alignment. Called my original dealer about buying extended warranty & service, said yes, but need to inspect vehicle before they can issue. Decided to replace the pump, get it home & maybe trade it in on one with some warranty left. Just to get out until I can buy a Honda, Toyota or Maybe Subaru. Not sure which is similar to the X3 x35i?

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I used to joke about trading my just-out-of-warranty 35i even-up for a new Kia. Now I'm wondering if I can hang on until the X3 G01 is released.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Also, I've taken some of the sting out of my out-of-warranty repairs by being a BMW CCA member. My dealer gives a 15% parts and labor discount to members. Some other dealers do something similar, and some don't.

·
Enjoying our X3 and i3.
279 Posts
Just to get out until I can buy a Honda, Toyota or Maybe Subaru. Not sure which is similar to the X3 x35i?
We drove Toyotas for years and never had a major repair. Our old Previa needed front wheel bearings and a thermostat replacement. We drove these cars for 5 to 10 years and put a lot of miles on them. Our last was a Lexus RX350 we had for 2 years and traded in to get more safety features, technology seems to be where Toyota/Lexus lags behind. You might look at the Lexus NX. I had a Kia Sportage for a few years as a second car and had no trouble.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I loved my 99 Lexus Rx300, had 100k and I have it to my sister who promptly demolished it. I also had a Toyota Tacoma truck which I bought on Cars.com or something, while getting a repair I found it was in a major collision that was not reported in the car fax. I think the Toyota or Honda might make sense.

·
Registered
679 Posts
It looks like that's what it is. I think I've had it with BMW, this is my third and I've always had major problems. No more bummers for me, any suggestions?
Macan S or Audi SQ5.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Awful early for water pump issues
We had a water pump go on our '09 328i at around 75K miles. That was a couple of months before the AC went - which is why we now have a new 340xi. Just couldn't pour any more $$$ into the 328.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts