BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I updated my maps to the 2018-1 version via USB but was getting strange highway identifications and errors in locations by up to 2 miles. Took to dealer and since I had update maps they could only correct if I purchased maps from them.

Sprung for maps. While they were updating maps the Head Unit died. They replaced at no cost. Then when the tried to update to 2018 maps they could not get maps updated via USB. They then updated to 2017 from disks and now claim that I will not be able to update makes beyound 2017 because later maps are not available on disk.

BMW USA just responds that enigineers say it can't be done on my vehicle.

Anyone else experience this? Seems to me they probably incorrectly programed new CIC (head unit). Possibly used a rebuilt unit not new. Any suggestions on next stpes to get this corrected.

· Resident Curmudgeon
27,487 Posts

· Resident Curmudgeon
27,487 Posts
I updated my maps to the 2018-1 version via USB but was getting strange highway identifications and errors in locations by up to 2 miles. Took to dealer and since I had update maps they could only correct if I purchased maps from them.

Sprung for maps. While they were updating maps the Head Unit died. They replaced at no cost. Then when the tried to update to 2018 maps they could not get maps updated via USB. They then updated to 2017 from disks and now claim that I will not be able to update makes beyound 2017 because later maps are not available on disk.

BMW USA just responds that enigineers say it can't be done on my vehicle.

Anyone else experience this? Seems to me they probably incorrectly programed new CIC (head unit). Possibly used a rebuilt unit not new. Any suggestions on next stpes to get this corrected.
lol.

I just love how dealers make up their own 'reasons' out of a smattering of facts...

you go to them with an issue and tell them "i upgraded mas myself"...so they seize on that as THE issue.

Then something goes wrong, they downgrade to CD loaded maps and declare 'your car must be a CD only model'.

Get a new 2018 USB and load it. or

Tell them their 'resolution' is unacceptable and they need to make good on the oriignal signed workorder for 2018 maps

· Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 125+K miles NOKIAN WR G4
24,595 Posts
... they need to make good on the oriignal signed workorder for 2018 maps
+1.

Or the parts and labor warranty is meaningless and useless. They make a comittment and the customer pays and they don't perform out of lazy ignorance.

An early lesson in my career was to not commit to what one cannot perform.

· Registered
475 Posts
use Waze free smartphone app for maps. Let the stock map be, save headache and $ on keeping the vehicle in running without CEL.

· Nuclear engineer
24,595 Posts
use Waze free smartphone app f
If it is free then YOU are the product and NOT the customer. We have seen cops spoof WAZE on I-95 near Federal Law Enforcement Training Center FLETC 'Flea Tech'. Trust and verify.

· Registered
680 Posts
How do you verify, unless you have already passed the speed trap?

In other words, even if it's a false alarm on waze, better safe than sorry.

I like Waze because we have ridiculous speed cams at areas where speed limits change. Our mayor lowered the speed limit and only a few roads exceed this limit. So they like to set up the cams right where the increased limit ends.

Waze is ok with traffic, sometimes Google maps is better. However, Google maps is a bit stupid when navigating across Manhattan to get into NJ. It will always prefer a higher toll route, even if it takes longer. Something about their algorithm prefers that route because the toll tunnel is directly connected to the highway.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update

Head unit replacement failed. Two more head units then again they can't load 2018 or 2019 maps. With 2017 maps fav is now showing directions with state highway numbers for interstate hwy rather than interstate designation.

This now back to where I started from with original problem again.

Has anyone loaded maps later than 2017 on 2012 e70 x5 35d?

· Registered
680 Posts
2011 with 2019 maps I downloaded... 2 years ago I dumped the files and calculated my fsc lifetime maps code.
Same system, CIC

· Resident Curmudgeon
27,487 Posts
you think this is a 'map load' issue?!?!?

· Resident Curmudgeon
27,487 Posts
Head unit replacement failed. Two more head units then again they can't load 2018 or 2019 maps. With 2017 maps fav is now showing directions with state highway numbers for interstate hwy rather than interstate designation.

This now back to where I started from with original problem again.

Has anyone loaded maps later than 2017 on 2012 e70 x5 35d?
Tell the dealer you want them to submit a "PUMA Case" to BMWNA to assist in getting this fixed.

· Expert Crate Digger
20 Posts
Call me lazy but I paid $20 on eBay for my 2011 X5's FSC code and the 2019-1 Road Map Europe West Premium.

Attachments

· Registered
357 Posts
Call me lazy but I paid $20 on eBay for my 2011 X5's FSC code and the 2019-1 Road Map Europe West Premium.
Off topic to the OP, but when upgrading to newest maps does the actual interface change at all? Is it the same aged interface with new maps or is there an improvement/upgrade to the usability of the maps application?

I own a 2012 X5 50i with premium.

TIA

Jim

· Nuclear engineer
24,595 Posts
Only the database is updated, the ***8216;OS***8217; remains the same NAV originally written by NavTec now owned by HERE.com

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.