BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've seen many posts about the P20EE code but I haven't seen many posts about my particular issue with it. I have a 2012 X5 35d with ~65k miles on it that is showing the P20EE code along with 4D16, which I understand is the NOx sensor, catalyst, bank 1- efficiency below threshold code.

It has been to the dealer and they tell me that it is not the NOx sensors (which would be free under warranty) and they recommend the water pump and thermostat be changed (~$1000 by them). They also told me the both Urea tanks, and both NOx sensors have already been replaced under warranty. I have been watching coolant temp and it fluctuates anywhere from 183F to 190F, which is in the normal range, if just a little low sometimes.

The code remained off for a ~3500 mile roundtrip to yellowstone earlier this year, but has just now come back on while driving through town.

I can replace the thermostat and water pump myself (which I would do not only because it's cheaper, but also because I want a metal impeller) but it looks like a pain in the ass and I really don't think that its causing this code. I don't want to take it back to the dealer because they're just going to charge me $150 to tell me the same thing they said last time. Any suggestions on what you think could be the issue? Could the urea nozzle be clogged, even though I just took it on a long, interstate-mostly trip? Could it actually be the water pump/thermostat? Any advice is appreciated!

Thank you!

·
Resident Curmudgeon
26,385 Posts
Write a letter to BMWNA demanding they cover the bad nox sensor under the stated warranty, and that the delers refusal to do so is a violation of federal law. Gussie it up with a citation. Copy the dealership, copy your states environmental control/airquality board.

See what happens.

Anyone mess with the urea injector nozzle?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.