BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So my 2012 X5 35i seems it's just falling to pieces in the past couple months.

Purchased Dec 17, 2011, Factory Warranty ran out Dec 2015.

July 2016 @45,900 miles - Radiator Fluid Reservoir Tank cracks (replaced)
Aug 2016 @46,800 miles - Water Pump Failure (Goodwill)
Aug 2016 @46,800 miles - Oil Housing Seal leaking (Goodwill)
Sept 2016 @47,600 miles - Belt Tensioner failing (in shop now)
Sept 2016 @47,700 miles - Valve Cover Failure (in shop now) - opening the oil cap makes the noise disappear.
Sept 2016 @47,700 miles - Engine throwing Lean codes (in shop now)

Experience the noise and tensioner jumping here:
(WARNING, the noise is VERY loud!!!! Turn your sound down!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjboKzoNZHE

I guess BMW hit my "he didn't renew his warranty with us, make his car go to sh*t" button.

·
Registered
6,512 Posts
Too many issues at short period of time:
1. Did they mess up with tensioner during water pump replacement?
2. Dd they do VANOS recall?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Too many issues at short period of time:
1. Did they mess up with tensioner during water pump replacement?
2. Dd they do VANOS recall?
1. Asked them about that with the water pump replacement. They said they don't touch the belt for the replacement. They only replaced the electric pump and not the thermostat. I don't know if this is true or not.

2. I don't believe the VANOS applies to my car. I don't recall it ever being done, but I'd have to see the history report. If it was, it was done a long time ago when the car was newer, and wasn't done at the place I currently have it at. I'll ask my adviser to check Monday.

It is too many things in such a short period of time. Even though I was able to avoid too much out of pocket expense by way of Goodwill Repairs (Thanks Bimmerfest community! And Ard!), I'm not feeling confident about keeping this car for the long run. I'm not sure if I'll get an extended warranty (have to put on 3k miles before it kicks in) or just get a new (most likely Japanese) car. This is my first BMW, and it's sure teaching me a lesson.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Are you taking your car to dealer to diagnose your car for problems or did you actually see all these problems occurring before you took it to the dealer to confirm it.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 100K miles NOKIAN WR G3 20K miles
19,390 Posts
Yep. "Too many issues in a short period of time."

Nothing protects US owners from consequential damages caused by incompetent mechanics and manager/supervisors' failure to follow BMW's extensive work procedures that govern diagnostics, differential diagnosis Test Plans, work access, warranty access, retest. We need access to BMW technical work procedures.

·
Registered
12,022 Posts
Ive owned many bmws one after the other and usually 2-3 at a time. There engineered to break. It used to be engineered that all of that would start failing at 55k miles. I have an 11 x5 w 42k miles and have pretty much experienced all of that as well. It seems the newer generation is now starting to fall apart at 40k. Bmw no longer gives 2 ****s about long term reliability there new thing is to lease the cars for 3 years and the next owner better hav a good warty in place. Pretty sure a 40k mile acura mdx will go till 100k with almost nothing being replaced.
I picked up my x5 w 39k miles and now at 43 it has an extended bmw warty and maint still in place. I swapped out the belt tensioner at 40k miles bc it was starting to make noise, at that time I also replaced all the other pulleys and new belt at my indy. The car just got back from the dealer with some of this being covered and some not.
water pump, power steering pump,driveshaft(recall),spark plugs,filters,oil. They told me my oil filetr housing is leaking but i dont see it. Its very sad that at 40k miles this truck would need this type of parts list.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are you taking your car to dealer to diagnose your car for problems or did you actually see all these problems occurring before you took it to the dealer to confirm it.
Yes, vehicle has only been to the dealership so far for service.

Tensioner you can see jumping around in the video, so I kinda diagnosed that one myself. And the gawd awful noise coming from the engine, a tech at Shelly BMW came out and showed me exactly what was happening. The CCV (PCV?) in the Valve cover failed, so it's causing too much compression inside the engine and thus the noise. He opened the Oil Cap and the noise went away. Put the Oil cap back on and the noise started again. I asked him about the prior services if they could have had anything to do with this, but he said both the Oil Leak issue and Water Pump replacement don't touch the valve cover. I've been looking around for information regarding the 2012 CCV, parts and replacement and I haven't found anything. Is it built into the Valve Cover?

I have the Radiator Expansion Tank that was replaced, crack on the side that sits against the body of the car... car was leaking radiator fluid all over my garage floor. Was towed to dealer and replaced at Long Beach BMW.

Water Pump - overheat warning, engine shut down. Had it towed to dealer. Replaced at Long Beach BMW. They only replaced the water pump under Goodwill, even though they said the water pump and thermostat required replacement after their diagnosis.

Oil Leak was pointed out by a dealer (Long Beach BMW) when I took it in for the Radiator Tank, but I didn't want to address it at the time. They didn't want to do two Goodwills at the same time when I had it in to take care of the water pump, so I did not get the oil leak taken care of. Of course right after I got the car back, oil started leaking badly down the front of the engine. Took it another dealer (Shelly BMW) about 2 days later to have Oil Filter and Brakes taken care of under Goodwill. (Long Beach made such a stink about how I needed to IMMEDIATELY replace my front rotors and pads when they though it was out of my pocket. Once they realized I had the extended maintenance program, they said my rotors and pads over spec (5mm) not replaceable yet under maintenance. Two days later Shelly BMW took the car in, inspected and said they were at 3mm and replaced both pads and rotors... so yeah, hmm...)

·
Registered
6,512 Posts
CCV is actually your driving style fault.
You have 5yrs old car and 47K. I will guess it is mostly driven in the city? What are your oil change intervals? You change oil in BMW or somewhere else?
Once you change CCV, do not be so gentle to the car and get it out on longer trips. BMW's (as 99% of Euro cars) like open road and speed.
You are out of warranty! Find really good BMW indy mechanic!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah it only goes out on long(er) trips on weekends, like 20-30 miles each way. Only 8 miles is my commute to the office.

·
Registered
6,512 Posts
Yeah it only goes out on long(er) trips on weekends, like 20-30 miles each way. Only 8 miles is my commute to the office.
8 miles in LA area? Those conditions will choke that engine to death if you do not "exercise" it often.
That is DI engine, and although N55 is not that bad when it comes to fuel dilution, probably that is the problem too, and depending on oil in car, oil vapors will clog CCV and create those issues.
In that kind of driving style, you need to shorten OCI to 5K, and use low NOACK oil like Castrol 0W30 or 0W40, however OEM BMW 5W30 should do as well too.
Good exercise for that engine would be road trip to Vegas from LA. I-15 in that section, where police is very scattered would be great for that car.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good exercise for that engine would be road trip to Vegas from LA. I-15 in that section, where police is very scattered would be great for that car.
LOL! "Get out there and 'let it breathe' (speed!)"

It's so funny car isn't driven hard enough long enough so it's breaking down. Longest trip it's been on is LA to SAN FRAN two years ago, had a few good sections in the triple digits. Otherwise, yeah it doesn't get driven very long distances. I have a Sienna for the longer family trips.

Reg maintainance has always been done according to schedule and comp gauge. Usually gets done way before I reach the mileage mark, so it's a timing thing. I'll probably add an extra interval change in the future if it makes a difference. I'm a mobil 1 synthetic fan for all my other cars. This one is dealer done so haven't worried about it - first car I didn't do all the changes myself. Go figure it's the one with the most problems. Haha.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
24,115 Posts
Buy an electric car... a 4x4 suv for 8 mile commute, and a sienna for long trips?

who knows why THIS car is breaking down.... the whole 'italian tune up' thing has always annoyed me, however having a car, any car, that never gets warm, that is always in open loop, that is getting fuel shear in the oil, is not good. (This latter point- when an engine is cold it runs rich, and fuel gets into the oil. This usually isnt an issue since the oil heats up and the fuel evaporates off...but if you never get it to temp, you may have dangerously high fuel in the oil aka 'fuel shear' aka low viscosity.) Just following what the bMW computer says for oil changes is not good. IMO

·
Registered
12,022 Posts
its engineered to go at 40k doesnt matter where u drive it.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 100K miles NOKIAN WR G3 20K miles
19,390 Posts
its engineered to go at 40k doesnt matter where u drive it.
When I drove F-Vee I was taught that the properly engineered race car disintegrated as it crossed the finish line. Anything more was "overengineering" (scare-quotes).

Since, my SAAB 99 went 240K miles and my VW TDI went 180K miles and is reportedly still serving well.

·
Registered
12,022 Posts
doug long gone are the cars that will do 200k plus. or you can also say sure the bmw will go 200k plus but you will have paid for the car 3x over in parts and maint. Just so you guys know I love how bmws drive, I owned many for the last 15yrs... Ive had quite a few 7 series in a row, I could not stomach the newer f series 7 series and there many many issues. I went Benz and got an s550 the car has had no retarded oil consumption issues or premature failing of engine components and the trans shifts as it should. Im handy with a wrench and can do any basic maint myself...but why should I have to? on fairly newer cars with low miles?

·
Registered
6,512 Posts
LOL! "Get out there and 'let it breathe' (speed!)"

It's so funny car isn't driven hard enough long enough so it's breaking down. Longest trip it's been on is LA to SAN FRAN two years ago, had a few good sections in the triple digits. Otherwise, yeah it doesn't get driven very long distances. I have a Sienna for the longer family trips.

Reg maintainance has always been done according to schedule and comp gauge. Usually gets done way before I reach the mileage mark, so it's a timing thing. I'll probably add an extra interval change in the future if it makes a difference. I'm a mobil 1 synthetic fan for all my other cars. This one is dealer done so haven't worried about it - first car I didn't do all the changes myself. Go figure it's the one with the most problems. Haha.
Man, I have seen BMW's with 300 and 400K with less problems yours had in 50K.
You maybe bought lemon, or there is something about driving regime.
Sienna? Seriously? There is a reason why Toyota in the U.S. is using engine that was technologically outdated 15yrs ago, and that is reliability. In Europe, where they have to play European manufacturers game, their engines (especially diesels) are among least reliable.
Understand any way you want, but all BMW engines are primarily developed for German auto bahns and not I-5 or I-15.

·
Registered
6,512 Posts
Buy an electric car... a 4x4 suv for 8 mile commute, and a sienna for long trips?

who knows why THIS car is breaking down.... the whole 'italian tune up' thing has always annoyed me, however having a car, any car, that never gets warm, that is always in open loop, that is getting fuel shear in the oil, is not good. (This latter point- when an engine is cold it runs rich, and fuel gets into the oil. This usually isnt an issue since the oil heats up and the fuel evaporates off...but if you never get it to temp, you may have dangerously high fuel in the oil aka 'fuel shear' aka low viscosity.) Just following what the bMW computer says for oil changes is not good. IMO
I always tell this story when my mother in law saw I bought BMW and said: oooo our friends had one and always had problems, and they just drove it to church.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So I got some "good" news today. Well, not good for me. Apparently Long Beach BMW has already used one of my 3 Goodwills back around January 3rd 2016 for the rear passenger door latch that wouldn't open (I have soft close doors - and I noticed the 7 series had a recall on those...). They said they were just going to take care of it since it was so close and my warranty ran out. Didn't know this was a "Goodwill" repair. Yes less than 2 weeks after my factory warranty ran out, so I cannot use it for the Valve Cover replacement. Quoted $1,300 for the repair.

I'll call up an Indy and find out how much it is to replace, otherwise, I'm just going to take care of it myself. Valve cover replacement *shouldn't* be that hard right?

·
Registered
351 Posts
I have almost 197,000 on my x5 currently, Although I have put some money into it recently, I think the major reason it has been so trouble free is my drive to work is 35 miles one way, all at 80 miles/hr...the same situation for my 328i...here in Phoenix, everything is at least 20 miles one way it seems...

·
Registered
40 Posts
"Pretty sure a 40k mile acura mdx will go till 100k with almost nothing being replaced."

I can attest to this. I bought a 2007 MDX Tech at 40k in 2011. I have 115k on it and it runs like new. I've replaced a relay, and had the nav system rebuilt by Alpine and that was it. I have full confidence that it will hit 200k. No doubt it is a level below our Xdrive50i in terms of dynamics and feeling substantial but it is no slouch either. It has torque vectoring AWD and is relatively sporty. 300HP with no need for direct injection, turbos, electric water pump or electric power steering. Just the old school hydraulic set-up. Also 100k spark plugs and timing belt. That said, my wife gets what she wants and I'll keep driving this thing until it dies.

MDX

Xdrive50i

Ive owned many bmws one after the other and usually 2-3 at a time. There engineered to break. It used to be engineered that all of that would start failing at 55k miles. I have an 11 x5 w 42k miles and have pretty much experienced all of that as well. It seems the newer generation is now starting to fall apart at 40k. Bmw no longer gives 2 ****s about long term reliability there new thing is to lease the cars for 3 years and the next owner better hav a good warty in place. Pretty sure a 40k mile acura mdx will go till 100k with almost nothing being replaced.
I picked up my x5 w 39k miles and now at 43 it has an extended bmw warty and maint still in place. I swapped out the belt tensioner at 40k miles bc it was starting to make noise, at that time I also replaced all the other pulleys and new belt at my indy. The car just got back from the dealer with some of this being covered and some not.
water pump, power steering pump,driveshaft(recall),spark plugs,filters,oil. They told me my oil filetr housing is leaking but i dont see it. Its very sad that at 40k miles this truck would need this type of parts list.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts