BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
good morning

3 weeks ago I rec'd the "Drivetrain Malfunction" error in yellow after starting my car one morning. Put my car in reverse and the light went away. Took my car to the dealer the next day with no errors showing and they said I needed a $350 drivetrain software up. Ok - fine, I have 107,500 miles on my car and had it done. No issues until this morning, same thing, Drivetrain malfunction, but stayed on this time. Went 1/2 mile, and noticed significanly less power available, and turned around and came home. Put car into reversed and it started running rough as I parked it, and then the check-engine light came, while still having rough idle. :dunno::thumbdwn:

Probably 85% of all my miles on my car are highway, and car has had all service done the dealer. I've read many threads on the drivetrain issues, so many that I thought I'd start a fresh one.

Any ideas in advance would be appreciated. Thanks guys, and girls..

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
10/26 Update

After 3 days at the dealer, my SA called me to tell me they believe it's the timing chain. He told me to call BMW NA first this morning to "file a claim."

·
Banned
10,015 Posts
10/26 Update

After 3 days at the dealer, my SA called me to tell me they believe it's the timing chain. He told me to call BMW NA first this morning to "file a claim."
The warning your car gave you covers many, many, many malfunctions. At best: You know something's wrong.

Ya'll need an OBDII code reader for specifics and even then some interpretation prob is needed.

So. Should you trust your dealer? Just look what they've done for you so far....and couldn't error logs be much more specific?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts