BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
gey guys quick question, I am new to the BMW family as of a couple weeks ago. I just noticed that my MPG meter on the dash seems like it has been low lately. Sometimes when I am coast at 10mph it's not even half full, and I don't have my foot on the gas. Even sometimes when I am completely stopped it will be a little bit under full on that meter. I am just wandering if this is normal, because I didn't really pay attention to it at first, it it seems like it should be full especially when I am just coasting in a parking lot. Thanks!

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
Hi,

Sorry I dont understand what you mean by MPG meter in the dash is low". Are you talking about that red meter that estimates how your driving style affects your miles per gallon? If so, I know that is there but dont pay any attention whatsoever to what it is reading, because I took that as a "look you are stepping on the gas so your MPG is going down" type of warning with no actual meaning to it.

I have my iDrive set to reset my MPH after every trip (I believe it denotes a "trip" as 4 hours of not driving after driving but would have to check that to make sure), and just occasionally look at that MPG number, knowing that it also is not 100 percent accurate.

If you are not talking about the red line I described, I dont know what else you are talking about so you would need to explain again.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,

Sorry I dont understand what you mean by MPG meter in the dash is low". Are you talking about that red meter that estimates how your driving style affects your miles per gallon? If so, I know that is there but dont pay any attention whatsoever to what it is reading, because I took that as a "look you are stepping on the gas so your MPG is going down" type of warning with no actual meaning to it.

I have my iDrive set to reset my MPH after every trip (I believe it denotes a "trip" as 4 hours of not driving after driving but would have to check that to make sure), and just occasionally look at that MPG number, knowing that it also is not 100 percent accurate.

If you are not talking about the red line I described, I dont know what else you are talking about so you would need to explain again.
I am referring to the red meter, sorry for the confusion. But I am wandering why it drops down low when I am just coasting to a stop or coasting through a parking lot with my foot on the brake? Is this normal?

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
I am referring to the red meter, sorry for the confusion. But I am wandering why it drops down low when I am just coasting to a stop or coasting through a parking lot with my foot on the brake? Is this normal?
Sorry I dont pay much attention to it because its meaningless information in my opinion so I dont know. I certainly would not take my car to the dealer for it /shrug.

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
To be clear you are asking about the analog mpg gauge and not a digital readout - correct?

If so it should show a very high mpg reading - 40 or more when decelerating with your foot of the gas. RPM's are usually around 1500 when the car begins downshifting. indicated As the car downshifts to lower gears and rpm's get closer to an idle the mpg will drop.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.