Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First time actually making a post here after lurking for awhile.

I feel as if I kind of messed up buying this car when there were better options if I was patient and waited longer, but I do love this car. It has 124,000 miles, bought it at 122,000. After buying it went to get a full inspection and told them to fix everything (know people at the stealership). Only problems found were Oil seals and axle leaks. I***8217;ve felt the timing chain and it feels very tight and looks in good shape so I think i***8217;m good there. I looked up car fax and found that previous owners changed the oil every 10,000-15,000 miles (which I know isn't very good). I plan to change it every 5,000 miles.

My questions are is this car just a ticking time bomb? I don***8217;t mind spending $2000-3000 repairs per year, as I've read that's what I can expect. Will it even make it past 200,000 miles? Does anyone else here have an N20 and how long have you made it?

·
Registered
10,422 Posts
There's been a few posts here of the early N20/N26's self-destructing right before or right after the 7/70k extended warranty expires. So, yeah, you're driving a time bomb. If it does let go, the only tool you'll need will be a screwdriver... to remove the tags as you abandon the car on the side of the road. You need to get smart about what's going on in the N20/N26 class-action lawsuit against BMW.

I was looking at a use 328i with ultra-low mileage, but a soon-to-be-out-of-warranty engine. Upgrading an N26 was going to cost about $4k, with an N20 being a little cheaper. I suspect they factored the strict California-mandated emission warranties in on the cost of N26 parts, and that's where the extra $500 came from.)

Cars are like an ax. An ax will last forever, as long as you change the handle every ten years and the head every 20 years. Cars will last as long as you have money and as long as parts are still available.

Since you have an xDrive, you have a few more parts to worry about, specifically front driveshafts and that $4k xDrive transfer case.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There's been a few posts here of the early N20/N26's self-destructing right before or right after the 7/70k extended warranty expires. So, yeah, you're driving a time bomb. If it does let go, the only tool you'll need will be a screwdriver... to remove the tags as you abandon the car on the side of the road. You need to get smart about what's going on in the N20/N26 class-action lawsuit against BMW.

I was looking at a use 328i with ultra-low mileage, but a soon-to-be-out-of-warranty engine. Upgrading an N26 was going to cost about $4k, with an N20 being a little cheaper. I suspect they factored the strict California-mandated emission warranties in on the cost of N26 parts, and that's where the extra $500 came from.)

Cars are like an ax. An ax will last forever, as long as you change the handle every ten years and the head every 20 years. Cars will last as long as you have money and as long as parts are still available.

Since you have an xDrive, you have a few more parts to worry about, specifically front driveshafts and that $4k xDrive transfer case.
Thank you for the reply. Yeah, I definitely could have purchased a better car if I researched more. I am still very happy with the purchase, but I do find myself worrying about my car a lot more than I did with my jeep. I***8217;m just hoping I can make it to 200k without any fatal problems then sell.

·
Registered
12,368 Posts
Thank you for the reply. Yeah, I definitely could have purchased a better car if I researched more. I am still very happy with the purchase, but I do find myself worrying about my car a lot more than I did with my jeep. I'm just hoping I can make it to 200k without any fatal problems then sell.
Congrats on new purchase. 122k on N20 with no TC issue is a good sign, just learn about the symptoms to look out for, e.g. high pitch whine, excessive play of TC with warm engine, etc, etc.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Congrats on new purchase. 122k on N20 with no TC issue is a good sign, just learn about the symptoms to look out for, e.g. high pitch whine, excessive play of TC with warm engine, etc, etc.
Thanks for the reply. Yeah I have read and researched a lot about my car. I have checked it for the high pitch whine, and luckily it does not have it. I also went and felt the timing chain and it was very tight with almost no play.

I am not very mechanically skilled. If you are familiar with the F30 N20’s, is there anything else I should be looking out for with the car besides timing chain issues? I’ve been researching a lot online about my car and haven’t found anything about them making it to 200k+. Am thinking maybe that’s because online you really only hear about the bad, not the good. Or maybe it really just rarely makes it to 200k.

·
Registered
12,368 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Yeah I have read and researched a lot about my car. I have checked it for the high pitch whine, and luckily it does not have it. I also went and felt the timing chain and it was very tight with almost no play.

I am not very mechanically skilled. If you are familiar with the F30 N20’s, is there anything else I should be looking out for with the car besides timing chain issues? I’ve been researching a lot online about my car and haven’t found anything about them making it to 200k+. Am thinking maybe that’s because online you really only hear about the bad, not the good. Or maybe it really just rarely makes it to 200k.
Dealer SAs and trusted indies said there are rarely any issues with N20/N26 cars, maybe OFHG leak, but no cooling system issues, no ZF 8AT issues, these cars just need oil change, brake fluid, brakes, tires, spark [email protected], and other simple maintenance items.

My car has no out-of-pocket repair yet, and wipers/air filter/cabin filter are DIYs with BMW logo parts, so other than the TC concern, this car is quiet reliable, and boring in terms of heroic DIYs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dealer SAs and trusted indies said there are rarely any issues with N20/N26 cars, maybe OFHG leak, but no cooling system issues, no ZF 8AT issues, these cars just need oil change, brake fluid, brakes, tires, spark [email protected], and other simple maintenance items.

My car has no out-of-pocket repair yet, and wipers/air filter/cabin filter are DIYs with BMW logo parts, so other than the TC concern, this car is quiet reliable, and boring in terms of heroic DIYs.
Thank you for some peace of mind. What car do you drive?

·
Registered
12,368 Posts
Thank you for some peace of mind. What car do you drive?
Mine is 2013 328i RWD with N26, with 75k+ miles.

Snce my locale is a PZEV state, the car comes with 15 years/150000 miles factory emission warranty! :)

So most sensors, cat, mechatronics, torque converter, turbo, VCG, vanos, ignition coils, intercooler, fuel system(including fuel tank and HPFP), etc, etc, are covered for 15 years/150000 miles.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts