Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been getting a slight oil leak on top of my 2013 650ix engine and I'm wondering if anyone can tell me what's going on. The pictures show the results of the leak after around 1,000 miles of operation. I can't see where it is actually coming from. The car has 30,000 miles. Thanks for any help you can provide.

·
Michael
2,211 Posts
Definitely looks like engine oil, the pipe to the left seems to have a reasonable amount also, so could be split ot the joint is weeping as it is above the pool of oil. Give HerbP a quick pm he is pretty good at diagnosing???

·
Super Moderator
8,137 Posts
If the car only has 30k miles on it, take it to the dealer. This should be a warranty repair.

My best guess would be that the oil leak is probably coming from one of the turbos oil feed lines. I have not yet had the luxury of having to remove my turbos on my 750, but that is my best guess. I also suspect the oil is running down from the left to right where you see the oil puddling, so digging in a little towards the center of the engine might help reveal the actual problem.

·
Registered
12,089 Posts
:thumbup: ...thanks for the follow up. It looks like another note I've gotta stuff into my mental Rolodex under "just in case/FYI". :tsk:

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In my research I also found a number of items that have had their warranty extended to 10 years and 120,000 miles on the N63T engine:

Fuel Injectors
Pressure Switch - Leak Diagnosis Module (NVLD)
High Pressure Fuel Pump
Crankcase Vent Line (My issue)

·
Michael
2,211 Posts
Your very lucky in the US, not only do you pay less for your cars, but because of the size and reputation of BMW they give an extended warranty on failures in design for 10 years or 100k. Here in the UK, once the 3 years warranty is over then your on your own, and getting a goodwill gesture out of BMW is like getting blood out of a stone!!
The cars are the same and so are the failures but as I said in the UK we are on our own!!:cry:

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's sad that BMW doesn't treat all customers the same especially with items that fail because they were "under designed" by BMW engineers.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So prior to taking the car to a local dealership I detailing to them what the problem was with the vent line and directed them to the warranty extension of 10 years and 120K miles for the part and made an appointment.

First thing the Service Advisor says is that BMW says the part has a 7 year warranty and that my car 2013 650 is out of that warranty. This is why I hate dealership service departments. If I were John Q. Public, first I wouldn't have even known about the warranty extension and if I didn't know the details I would have "probably" been charged for the repair.

I told the SA that he was flat out wrong and to look up the actual document. So he did and came back with "Oh yea, the warranty is for 10 years, so it's covered.

Anyway the two lines were replaced and problem solved. See arrows:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts