BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I am a big-time BMW fan, started my journey with 2007 328i, drove it a good 70k miles.

Bought a 2013 Cayenne Base, owned it for an year, currently has 23k miles, fully loaded with options & now selling it & trying to decide b/w buying a 750I with M Package & 550i M Package.

Questions i have:

1. I have learnt recently through my search that 2013 750i has lesser known issues than 2012 750i? Is that true?

2. With 2016 7-series models coming up (anyone knows the date)?, i am hoping for 2013 750i prices to go down.:eeps:

3. Since both 750 & 550i are V8 monsters, is 750i better at producing 20+mpg on highways? Cayenne Base (300hp:V6) has given me solid 25mpg on 400 mile trips.

4. Is the base sound system of 750i 600Watts? My friend recently bought a 42k 2012 750i with 28k miles from BMW dealership in SF with CPO + 9.5% CA taxes. I am not sure if i will get something like this on a 2013 model.

5. Do you guys think trade-in at times work better or is it always good to sell and buy privately? I have always bought cars private-party.:confused:

6. [I read somewhere here that 750i MAINTENANCE is NOT transferrable when its purchased via private party? I never had any issues getting free maintenance & warranty fixes on 328i when i bought it from a private party. Please advice?

7. Since there must be some folks who have had both 550I and 750I, an actual real world analysis will help me in making my decision.:rolleyes:

8. Are there any premium features that 750i owners regret? Or what are the MUST HAVES?:thumbup:

9. Is 20inch wheels a problem with every 750I ? My cayenne has 19' wheels and i never had any pot hole issues, so i am trying to analyze how can an additional inch make such a huge difference?

10. How much worth is purchasing a BMW extended maintenance package plan for 750I? My friend paid 3000$ to buy his extended maintenance plan beyond 4 years for 535i.

In my personal experience of BMW, with my 2007 328i, i had the steering wheel issue come up in 2012 & i ended up paying 2500$ to get it fixed, but it was a known issue as well.

Thanks a lot for your patience to go through all my questions guys :)

·
Registered
5,797 Posts
The maintenance should transfer with the car (it belongs to the car not the owner), 750 all the way, correct on 2013 being better, they also have the 8 speed transmission (much smoother), the 750 prices are falling (brand new 2015 should be had for 75 and down), freeway you should average 20 (it depends on the weight of your lead foot), 20's are good, obviously with RFT's slamming into a pothole with a 20" v. 19" could result in a bubble or blown RFT, but I enjoyed the ride of the 20 (and the 303m wheels), must haves, ACC, Msport package, good to have, driver assist package, I don't think extended maintenance is "worth" it.

I have driven (test drove) the 550 v. the 750, the 550 is obviously smaller, especially in the driver cockpit area, bennies to the 750 are a larger car, great acceleration, and you get the name recognition of the 750.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Popoemt for clarifications : considering I travel around a lot and need a larger trunk space : 750i seems to be the answer so far

·
Registered
169 Posts
The 2013 550 has the N63 where the 2013 750 has the N63 TU which is what you would want. Minimal issues.

·
Crazy Wheels
674 Posts
Make sure the 2013 7 is post LCI, has N63TU, 8 speed grany, etc.

·
Registered
5,797 Posts
Make sure the 2013 7 is post LCI, has N63TU, 8 speed grany, etc.
Ah yes, the ol' 8 speed granny... May not sound like much, but 8speed Grammy grams will ROCK your world!!!

;)

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey guys : what is LCI ? And how do I find out that it is post LCI & N63TU ? Since I will be buying from private party : I have to make sure that using the vIn# I should be able to get this info & I am looking at the right place

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Does anyone seem to know about how is the base sound system in 2013 750i ? My friend has 2012 750i & he said : 16 speakers : 600 watts.

My preference will be to get bang & Olufsen but i am not sure if it's going to eat up a lot of trunk space.

·
Registered
5,797 Posts
Does anyone seem to know about how is the base sound system in 2013 750i ? My friend has 2012 750i & he said : 16 speakers : 600 watts.

My preference will be to get bang & Olufsen but i am not sure if it's going to eat up a lot of trunk space.
Base sound should be Harmon/Kardon (which is plenty good, I didn't find the B&O to be worth the price in comparing that and the base sound system). The B&O doesn't take up extra trunk space.

The LCI is the mid cycle refresh, for the 750 that means LED's standard, the upgraded engine, and some other package inclusions. What's the vin number for the car your looking at? You can always run it on BMW VIN finder.

http://www.bmwarchive.org/vin/bmw-vin-decoder.html

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
Other than the engine issue, which is not my forte, it all depends on how big of a car you want/need. I've actually thought about downgrading to the 5 series to get the 535 for better gas mileage. The trim and fitment of the 5 is the same as the 7 as far as I can tell, just on a smaller scale. But I also love a BIG car for some reason. You might also want to look at the 650 GC, seems like a similar size to the 5, could be a bit larger but looks a lot better in my opinion. I don't know if the 6 series is a 4 seater or 5 seater.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Do you guys know If Getting an M package really makes a big difference for 2013 ? I finally found one for 41k with 31k miles w/o M package but it's a 2012 :(

All the 2013 in entire USA at this time are more than 50k :-(

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
M package is just that, a package. blacked out trim, more aggressive front and rear bumpers, M trim on steering wheel, dead pedal and door sills. I personally wouldn't get a car without it now.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Other than the engine issue, which is not my forte, it all depends on how big of a car you want/need. I've actually thought about downgrading to the 5 series to get the 535 for better gas mileage. The trim and fitment of the 5 is the same as the 7 as far as I can tell, just on a smaller scale. But I also love a BIG car for some reason. You might also want to look at the 650 GC, seems like a similar size to the 5, could be a bit larger but looks a lot better in my opinion. I don't know if the 6 series is a 4 seater or 5 seater.
Thanks man for recommending 650i Gc - I love it's looks but unfortunately none of them are available in 40-45k range with <30k miles for 2013 models. Same issue with 2013 750i

·
Freude am Fahren
4,292 Posts
The maintenance should transfer with the car (it belongs to the car not the owner), 750 all the way, correct on 2013 being better, they also have the 8 speed transmission (much smoother), the 750 prices are falling (brand new 2015 should be had for 75 and down), freeway you should average 20 (it depends on the weight of your lead foot), 20's are good, obviously with RFT's slamming into a pothole with a 20" v. 19" could result in a bubble or blown RFT, but I enjoyed the ride of the 20 (and the 303m wheels), must haves, ACC, Msport package, good to have, driver assist package, I don't think extended maintenance is "worth" it.

I have driven (test drove) the 550 v. the 750, the 550 is obviously smaller, especially in the driver cockpit area, bennies to the 750 are a larger car, great acceleration, and you get the name recognition of the 750.
Don't forget that the 7 has a RWS whereas the 5 does not.

·
Crazy Wheels
674 Posts
Ah yes, the ol' 8 speed granny... May not sound like much, but 8speed Grammy grams will ROCK your world!!!

;)
Misspelled on purpose to get a few laughs. Swear to God.

·
Registered
5,797 Posts
Do you guys know If Getting an M package really makes a big difference for 2013 ? I finally found one for 41k with 31k miles w/o M package but it's a 2012 :(

You should check out the 740, see what you can find, solid engine in there as well!

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Exactly dlF750: they are very few in number : so I don't think I will be able to afford one at the moment - 750i 2013 is what I want : but at this time there are only plenty of deals available <47k on 2012 ones - I am in LA & still no luck with 2013 ...

740 isn't an option - because v6 is what I have owned so far in all my cars & I want to feel the v8 with its 445HP

·
Registered
5,797 Posts

I would suggest hitting up a sponsor and seeing if they can work a deal for you. The 2012 and 2013 are such a big difference you would probably rue the day you got the 2012...

1 - 20 of 37 Posts