Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I have almost 117k miles on the clock, I change oil every 3-4K miles and every 3-4 months, I know the N20/26 engine is known for this issue with the plastic. It seems however due to long oil change intervals and I notice them on lower mileage ones, idk what month mine was produced, but you guys think I should be okay? Car has been bulletproof reliable so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm new, bought a used F34 320ix a few months ago. I have been investigating this issue also, I checked and found that mine has the affected chain guides, but the engine sounds fine.
I am not going to be histerical about it, keep an eye on the bits I can see and hear and since I intend on a flash tune very soon I will be changing the oil and filter much more often.

·
Registered
12,326 Posts
To OP, BMWNA and BMWAG have not disclosed what caused those N20/N26 TC failures, but common wisdom on bimmer forums appears to be oil related.

As the other poster said, just pay attention to any high pitch whining, and/or excessive rub marks on TC links.

Do note this failure usually is not abrupt, the high pitch whine is quite noticeable.

One option is to just bring in to service bay and (nicely) ask foreman to listen to the engine.

https://bmwtechnician.com/2016/08/07/n20-timing-chain-issue/

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Car was excellently maintained, I change oil every 3-4K and 3-4 months so I trust the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

1 - 4 of 4 Posts