BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all! I am brand new to the forum and wanted to say hello! Happy to be here as I am a huge car enthusiast! I also have a question that I am hoping you guys can help me with. First off, I am currently driving a 2013 Infiniti G37 convertible, which I absolutely love, but my lease is ending in the next 5 months and I need/want to get a 4 door car and I want a semi sporty luxury sedan. I have always loved BMW's, but have never owned one before, although have driven an older 2008 550i and a 2008 M6 coupe which I was very impressed with. Right now, I am only debating between two cars. The two being a 2014-2015 Lexus IS350 F-sport or a 2013-2014 BMW 335I. I had my heart set on getting the BMW with the M-sport package, but I have been reading and hearing so much everywhere about the infamous "limp mode." From what I have gathered, it seems like everyone is saying this only affects the 335i's with the M-sport package, which is a huge bummer! So that's where my question comes in. Does anyone know of this limp mode issue affecting non M-sport models? As much as I had my heart set on getting the package if I went with the BMW, this issue seems to be very serious and pretty dangerous and I don't think I am willing to chance it. I just wanted to get some input to make sure the base model 335i does not have the limp mode issue. Any input is much appreciated!

·
Registered
278 Posts
I track my car, 16 days this year so far, in outrageous heat. Never had a limp mode and I beat the crap out of my car. The M-sport is just cosmetic on top of the sport suspension, so M-sports with a limp mode problem would be not true.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Non-issue. Buy the car! I've had my 335i go into limp mode twice. One time was my fault and I fixed it in 5 seconds the other was from a fault with the radiator fan that was 100% covered under warranty.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I think the "limp mode" from spirited driving only really affected 2007-2010 335i's (E9x bodystyle) with the N54 engine. The issue with non-MSport models was that they didn't fit them with accessory oil coolers, but BMW eventually gave all models the accessory oil coolers, which eliminated the limp mode issues. Never really hear about limp mode anymore, so don't think it's a concern.

·
Apay Kapoy
962 Posts
I have the 2013 335i for over 4 years (bought in 2012) now with 49K miles; I have Not had any limp mode or drivetrain malfunction.
If you want a nice ride, get the Lexus; if you want a thrill to drive, get the M Sport 335i.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks for your response! I appreciate the feedback. Just curious, how was the car going into limp mode your fault at one point? Also, isn't it dangerous if it happens all of the sudden when you are driving at high speeds? For example, merging onto the freeway and then suddenly losing a lot of power.

·
Registered
555 Posts
It was.my feeling that limp mode/drivetrain malfunction occurred as a result of a. Computer glitch in my instance. I was on the QEW in Brampton, Ontarioand had driven for about 8 hrs going around 80-85. I was about to rocket well past 100 mph when it happened. Drove the next hour at 50 mph. This was when I had a 2013 328xi. Was going to take the car to the shop the next day when the error.code just disappeared when I started up. It never returned. Returned the car last December and moved on to the 340 where I never experienced any Issue.

·
Not Here Anymore
5,203 Posts
Thanks for your response! I appreciate the feedback. Just curious, how was the car going into limp mode your fault at one point? Also, isn't it dangerous if it happens all of the sudden when you are driving at high speeds? For example, merging onto the freeway and then suddenly losing a lot of power.
Can you provide more specifics on the limp mode issue you're referring to? The only real issue I can think of with 335's going into limp mode was the HPFP issue on the E9X series. Outside of that I haven't heard of any widespread limp mode issue with the F3X series.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I have a 2013 335, not had any "limp mode" show up. I don't race the car but I have pushed it a few times on some quiet back roads. The engine is a blast.

·
Registered
334 Posts
The car may or may not have a JB4 running on E85. The was a situation where it was on the highway accelerating in WOT from 60mph in 6th gear, I have a manual transmission, and the car got upset with me going WOT in 6th from a lower rpm and triggered a CEL and limp mode. I'll I had to do was pull over and shut off the car and I was good to go again. First and only time I've had this issue.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts