Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my engine has 112k wondering what oil i should use? ...alot of people are saying 5w30 others 0w40... is it ok to use mobil one 5w30? any suggestions? -thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
10,424 Posts
There's a million threads on this.

BMW's increased the requirements on on from when your car was built. Later versions of our cars require BMW Long Life 01 (LL-01) oil. LL-01 is better than what was used in 2013. BMW LL-01 5W-30 is available on-line for about $9/liter. Your car takes 6.5 liters.

Mobil 1 5W-30 doesn't meet the BMW spec's from 2013, much less BMW LL-01.

·
Eastwind
21 Posts
If you are DIYer, I recommend oil change every 5000mi. You can buy oil kit at FCP and you can return oil for refund. but they don't have Penzoil Euro Platinum 5W40 I recommend. It is not easy to find offline store but some online store have it. There are lots of discussions for motor oil and I think it is personal choice. I prefer thick oil. (but for my 2011 Camry, I always use 0w20 and no oil consumption at 160k miles)

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,424 Posts
If you are DIYer, I recommend oil change every 5000mi. You can buy oil kit at FCP and you can return oil for refund. but they don't have Penzoil Euro Platinum 5W40 I recommend. It is not easy to find offline store but some online store have it. There are lots of discussions for motor oil and I think it is personal choice. I prefer thick oil. (but for my 2011 Camry, I always use 0w20 and no oil consumption at 160k miles)

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Frau Putzer's 2006 V6 Honda Accord didn't need top-offs before 8k mile oil changes with 5W-20 synthetic. We sold it at 147k miles. That's why I'm not worried using the BMW recommended 0W-20 in her 2018 X3 30i.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Depending what time of year and where you live the oil weight/ viscosity effectiveness will vary. I live 1/2 north of Philadelphia and I roll with Castrol 0-40. I have 75k mine and I get great performance and 23.5 around town....you have started an issue that will give you personal faves for days.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Don't forget. The VANOS needs a certain oil viscosity to work correctly. VVT systems are sensitive that way. I would stick with what your manual says. And like Mr. Putzer says, stick with BMW LL-01.

·
BeeemerBro
5,4,6 BMW X3 All...196K +
3,453 Posts
Now that you mention it...on occasions that I've used oil not recommended, the engine threw the "sticky vanos" code. I would clean off the vanos with break cleaner and after a few miles back to normal. Over the years I've experimented with several types of oil. Most of them the car liked but better than others. I've concluded that you can use most any oil (on the older bmw). What really matters is the length of time the oil is used in the engine and how the engine is used.
My conditions: I drive hard, climate mostly hot average 85+, but trips are generally 30 miles a day with occasional long driving stints of stop and go to the long drive of 160 mile round trip on the weekend.
The manual says BMW LL-01
(I always look for this even though the spec is getting scarce)...

Oil cap says use Castrol.

I run Castrol 0w40 change the oil every 7k to 7.5k (was shooting for once a year doesn't seem to be working)
All 3 m54 Engines currently purring with satisfaction. No leaks (what did I say that for)
No ticks...the common BMW "tick" has disappeared now for about 1year.
However, lately I do here the slight rattle on the 04 m54 who has just hit 200k on the clock a couple of months ago.
Keep in mind I change driving the cars week to week that in it self saves on oil usage and extends the oci...I thought.
Having down time compliments from covid19 I embarked on the projects of replacing all 3 VCG and CCV. Changed a couple of egr valves and oil cap seals.
For the most part I understand why the m54 is considered "Bulletproof".

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
For the record.....I have absolutely zero faith in BMW when it comes to oil designations and what's appropriate for our cars. I am convinced that they intentionally move the bar and change the rules to try to force their customers into using their overpriced service departments for oil changes. I've used Mobil 1 and Castrol Edge 0W-40 for years and never had any issues. They used to meet the requirements and now, suddenly, they don't. Hmmmmmmmm.

·
BeeemerBro
5,4,6 BMW X3 All...196K +
3,453 Posts
I agree totally! Couldn't have said it better myself. That's the BMW climate we're in. We eather get out of the game. Play the game as they dictate. Play the game to the best of knowledge to our advantage, or submit our wallets to the command of

"stick'em up!"

No, they don't say that anymore do they?...you know what I mean.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,029 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Depending what time of year and where you live the oil weight/ viscosity effectiveness will vary. I live 1/2 north of Philadelphia and I roll with Castrol 0-40. I have 75k mi on mine and I get great performance and 23.5 around town....you have started an issue that will give you personal faves for days.

I wanted to add, now on my 2nd 535xi now a 2013...the 2011 was previously totaled 1 yr ago... got T-Boned right in my driver's door...I'm lucky to be alive...not a scratch...although right after it happened I was wondering around in the I/S picking up debris in shock...the whole driver side ripped open like a can opener...there is a steel beam on the diagoniale in the driver's door that didn't bend...I believe that beam kept the SUV from entering the cabin....it happens so fast! ...always used LL-01, of course, it's recommended and my changes are at 7,500-8,000 miles intervels...Castrol 0-40... Good all around weight...BMW will sell their soul to the devil...it's all about marketing...who will pay BMW more dinero to have their name as the oils of choice... just like with anything, one day your a hero-- the next day ur a zero...the boss likes the job ur doing today-- the next day he doesn't like the way your **** smells. So, what is BMW touting now? Shell, hell could be Penzoil tomorrow... or Liqui Molly...that would be Molly's Game. I would do her ,

1 - 11 of 11 Posts