BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

2013 F10 cornering lights now xenon?

20491 Views 46 Replies 17 Participants Last post by  R. Wendell Sweg
Hi all,

I recently purchased a 2012 535i M-Sport. I was at the dealership again today and noticed that the 2013 F10's had what looked like xenon cornering lights (the inner pair of headlights right next to the grille). My 2012 ones are halogen.

The F30's I saw seem to have xenons too.
1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Interesting upgrade if true.

Obviously, the main xenons "corner," but I suspect you're talking about the additional lamp that turns on when cutting the wheels in one direction or another.
Maybe its LED cornering lights, xenon takes too long to warm up, it would not be practical for cornering lights which needs instead illumination.
why would you upgrade from a 2012 to a 2013 535... lemon?
Why would the cornering lights be xenon? Seems dumb because you can't really see the Xenons in the daytime and they require some time to ignite. Constant turning would destroy (or overheat) the ballast and other electrics.
Here's the 2012 with halogen:

Here's the 2013:
Sorry if I was confusing. I was not replacing my 2012 with a 2013. I was at the dealership for another reason and just happened to see it.
why would you upgrade from a 2012 to a 2013 535... lemon?
They look the same to me:
Edit:
OOPS, that was a 2012, sorry

Here is a 2013:
Projector beam does not mean Xenon.
That's a 2012.
They look the same to me:
Correct. You can still have the projector style with the standard halogen lights.

Projector beam does not mean Xenon.
That's a 2012.
I updated my post, 2013 is the same thing.
Interesting. There seems to be some variation then. I can't locate a picture of a 2013 F10 with it, but here's a 2012 F30 with what I'm talking about.

Correct. You can still have the projector style with the standard halogen lights.

I updated my post, 2013 is the same thing.
Cornering lights on the F30 are the fogs
??
I had my turning xenons on auto for 160k in my E61, no problem whatsoever.
With xenon, the turning lights do not give anything very usefull, the turning is visable but hardly adding anything.
Why would the cornering lights be xenon? Seems dumb because you can't really see the Xenons in the daytime and they require some time to ignite. Constant turning would destroy (or overheat) the ballast and other electrics.
Then what is the inner pair of lights, closest to the grille?
Cornering lights on the F30 are the fogs
I think he's talking about the cornering lights (the fogs that come on when you turn at low speeds), not the adaptive Bi-Xenons that work at higher speeds on curves, ramps, etc. Those are based off the main headlights.
??
I had my turning xenons on auto for 160k in my E61, no problem whatsoever.
With xenon, the turning lights do not give anything very usefull, the turning is visable but hardly adding anything.
Probably nothing. They do nothing on my E70. They're just sort of there for uniformity for the LED Coronas because the Bi-Xenon main beams take care of both high and low beam. In the old days, when we had halogens, the hi-beam bulb would be the inner pair of lights. On the F30, this is only on the LED Corona/Bi-Xenon models. For those without the Coronas, you have regular reflector beam lights. Outer is the low beam and inner is the high beam.
Then what is the inner pair of lights, closest to the grille?
Sure, I do not think the fogs will be xenons at any time though.
Will Audi beat BMW by adding LED fogs first???
I think he's talking about the cornering lights (the fogs that come on when you turn at low speeds), not the adaptive Bi-Xenons that work at higher speeds on curves, ramps, etc. Those are based off the main headlights.
The facelifted Toyota Prius has LED fogs/DRLs right now. I think some Lexus products do to. Not sure :dunno:

I mean Audi has had full LED lights much before BMW. Wouldn't surprise me if they did.
Will Audi beat BMW by adding LED fogs first???
Lets keep it serious do not bring up the Priusthing please...
The facelifted Toyota Prius has LED fogs/DRLs right now. I think some Lexus products do to. Not sure :dunno:

I mean Audi has had full LED lights much before BMW. Wouldn't surprise me if they did.
1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.