BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, Everyone!

The following post is in reference to a 2013 328i Luxury Line

Right now, I am experiencing a "sliding coin sound" when cornering mountain roads or freeway onramps. From what I can tell, it sounds like it is beneath the driver's side area (in front of the seat, and before the pedals).

Of course, the dealership I go to, "cannot replicate the problem (x2)." So, I was going to attempt to look underneath myself. The entire bottom is covered with a panel to protect it, so I thought I would check here to see if it is worth the effort taking it off, or if there is an alternative I am overlooking.

I have attached a diagram of the underside of the car with a red square designating where it sounds like the sliding is coming from. It is on the driver's side right now, but the first time I heard it, it was on the passenger side.

Is there something under that panel that would allow it to slide from one side to the other? From the sound, it seems like the space it has to slide around is limited - any ideas? I have no idea what it looks like under the middle panel section - does anyone know?

Thank you everyone!

Attachments

·
Registered
13,462 Posts
There are airducts that angle up from the floors on both driver and passenger sides, so do check if objects(e.g. coins?) have fallen in them.

Also check if passenger seat belt buckle rattles against pillar B plastic panel or not.

It helps to empty all compartments(door pockets, glove compartment, center console armrest, front cup holders, etc, etc), and leave no object on seats and floors, before tracking down the sound. F30 has strange acoustic characteristics that transmit sound in unexpected manners.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will try to look in the air ducts -- you are referring to the ducts that lead to the rear seats under the driver's seat, correct?

The sound is more of a sliding sound, but here are a few clips of the sound I was able to get. https://youtu.be/W-Cs9IM1z4E

The side panel is full of papers that were in the glove compartment, certainly no metal.

Any recommendations on how to check deep inside the air ducts?

Thank you!

·
Registered
26 Posts
One time i had something similar on an e90 and I was able to pull out loose change from under the drivers side rear facing feet duct. It was a black plastic and it had a stop ripple that had them caught there. I just stuck my hand in and pulled them out. Good luck!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.