BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The (vinyl?) cover of the lid started to peel couple of years ago and now it looks pretty bad -

Automotive lighting Hood Automotive design Automotive tire Grey

Took the car to the dealer and they said the entire lid (part # 51-16-6-839-001) would have to be replaced, which was pretty expensive for what it is ($350 part + $155 labor). Is replacing the only option? Or other fixes (gluing?) could be tried?

The part outside is ~$100 less but wonder if I could do the work myself.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I have taken mine apart three times now and used a spray adhesive. If you find something that works better let me know cause I’m a day away from just ordering a new box. The adhesive doesn’t hold long. It’s not hard to remove either.

·
Registered
534 Posts
This has been posted before (do a search for the original article). Our cover came partially off too (2012 X3). Going to fix it next week. Seems the vinyl cover is only press fit to the plastic door. The other posts go into detail, but essentially you remove the door, verify the vinyl cover still fits in the channel, then take the cover all the way off, clean out the channel, apply contact cement, reinstall the vinyl cover to the door, the clamp the two pieces all the way around. If for some reason you want to buy a new glove box door, Chris, the parts manager at Sterling BMW, Newport Beach, CA will sell you one for mid $200’s (I don’t remember his exact quote), plus reasonable shipping. Tell him you’re a Bimmerfest member.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This has been posted before (do a search for the original article). Our cover came partially off too (2012 X3). Going to fix it next week. Seems the vinyl cover is only press fit to the plastic door. The other posts go into detail, but essentially you remove the door, verify the vinyl cover still fits in the channel, then take the cover all the way off, clean out the channel, apply contact cement, reinstall the vinyl cover to the door, the clamp the two pieces all the way around. If for some reason you want to buy a new glove box door, Chris, the parts manager at Sterling BMW, Newport Beach, CA will sell you one for mid $200’s (I don’t remember his exact quote), plus reasonable shipping. Tell him you’re a Bimmerfest member.

Thanks! Will try the adhesive first. That thread had quite a few adhesives tried - do we know what worked best in the end? Flex / Loctite / original Gorilla glue? I have to check on how to take the door apart. What clamps do you plan to use?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have taken mine apart three times now and used a spray adhesive. If you find something that works better let me know cause I’m a day away from just ordering a new box. The adhesive doesn’t hold long. It’s not hard to remove either.
Which adhesive did you try? I'll avoid that :)

·
Registered
534 Posts
The one thread (out of many) I read said they used contact cement from Home Depot (which is what I bought but haven’t used yet). But others have said various stuff; e.g., Gorilla Glue.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The one thread (out of many) I read said they used contact cement from Home Depot (which is what I bought but haven’t used yet). But others have said various stuff; e.g., Gorilla Glue.
Someone had a picture of this epoxy - I am getting it as well as these clamps. This video is very helpful - I'll try without separating the door from the glove box though. Removing the glove box should give me enough space to work on it.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I used Gorilla Glue on mine, and about 6 clamps, mix of spring and bar clamps. I removed the door from the car, peeled back the loose part, applied glue. I let mine set up overnight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I used Gorilla Glue on mine, and about 6 clamps, mix of spring and bar clamps. I removed the door from the car, peeled back the loose part, applied glue. I let mine set up overnight.
How long ago was it? Still holding well?

Did you have to remove the box from the car first? Or there is a way to remove just the door? In the video I didn't see a way to get to the door without first removing the box.

·
Registered
401 Posts

Did you have to remove the box from the car first? Or there is a way to remove just the door? In the video I didn't see a way to get to the door without first removing the box.
About 2 years, maybe 6-8 torx head screws, wasn’t hard. You might be able to push out the hinge pins and pull the door off that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
534 Posts

There’s probably a way to get the door off by itself, but it’s probably easier to take the whole box out. While you have the box out, change your internal cabin filters (there’s two). You don’t have to, but it’s much easier. FYI, they’re not the same as the two cabin filter under the hood in front of the passenger under the cowl.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts