BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

2013 XDrive 35i timing chain question

422 Views 5 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  C4911
Hello everyone. I am glad to be here. Well, my wife and I have decided that a used 2013 Xdrive 35i might very well be the next car for us. I like what I read about the N55 engine and it seems reliable. We dont need alot of extra space and the AWD is a must. I have steered clear of the 28i because of the timing chain guide problems and the potential for catastrophic engine failure.
I am a bit confused about the timing chain in the X1 xdrive 35i however. Is it recommended that the timing chain be replaced at certain intervals? I have always been under the impression that timing chains were, with proper oil changes, designed to last the life of the car. I would appreciate someone clarifying this for me.
Also, I have come to understand that the water pump is due to fail around 80k to 100k. Can anyone give me a ballpark figure on what I should expect to pay for that?
Lastly, I will get a pre-purchase inspection done by a third party...is there anything, engine-wise, I should ask them to take particular note of? Any and all advice is greatly appreciated. I have owned Volkswagons but this X1 xdrive 35i would be my first BMW.
Thanks in advance.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
You won't regret looking at the X1 with the N55. No issues with the timing chain. Keep up regular maintenance (oil changes) and you'll be fine.
Water pumps have been known to go like you said. I'm not sure on cost, but a local indy shop will save you hundreds.
No other major issues haven't been reported on the 35i, at least not in this forum that I can recall.
Check the battery to see if it's the OE one.
Thanks for the prompt reply. I appreciate hearing that our instincts about this vehicle are supported by those more knowledgeable than me. Checking the battery... am I to assume the OE is superior to an aftermarket one?
Not necessarily, just that you will have a close to 10 year old battery. :D
I'm still on my OE battery which will be 10 years old this Spring, but I use a tender on it, and it's been working great.
Thanks for the prompt reply. I appreciate hearing that our instincts about this vehicle are supported by those more knowledgeable than me. Checking the battery... am I to assume the OE is superior to an aftermarket one?
got it. Thanks
As a fairly new owner of a 2013 X1 35i M-Sport (purchased March of this year) I can't help answer your questions but I can tell you I absolutely love the car and all it can do. Originally I was searching for a Cayenne as my other car is a 911 4S but I stumbled upon the Bimmer and haven't looked back. It's powerful, smooth, comfortable, versatile and thousand$ less than a similar Cayenne. The N55 is an awesome engine for sure and I'd say you are making a great choice. Not too many examples available so good luck in your search!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts