Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2014 328i 74k miles started misfiring last night while doing about 60mph. Drove about ten miles and progressively got worse. Pulled over and had a strong burning smell around gas tank/back right tire. No check engine light or indicators.

Got it home, no external signs of debris/damage under the hood or at the tire. Started this AM and in idle it is clearly misfiring with a strong odor. RPMs are not revving while in idle and stayed low and steady while driving.

Any thoughts before taking to dealer?

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
2014 328i 74k miles started misfiring last night while doing about 60mph. Drove about ten miles and progressively got worse. Pulled over and had a strong burning smell around gas tank/back right tire. No check engine light or indicators.

Got it home, no external signs of debris/damage under the hood or at the tire. Started this AM and in idle it is clearly misfiring with a strong odor. RPMs are not revving while in idle and stayed low and steady while driving.

Any thoughts before taking to dealer?
Scan for codes with an appropriate BMW scan tool before you take it anywhere. Then post codes for better help.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This happened to me this past Thursday. Mine was a bad injector. Stuck open. Ruined front O2 sensor and they are checking the Catalytic converter today.

·
Registered
243 Posts
This happened to me this past Thursday. Mine was a bad injector. Stuck open. Ruined front O2 sensor and they are checking the Catalytic converter today.
Sorry to hear that. What was involved in the repair and at what cost?

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
PO 304
Cylinder 4 misfire
I was able to scan and evaluate the data stream for fuel trims on each cylinder which helped me isolate the problem when I had a misfire. It turned out to be out of spec, original spark plugs that were bad. Fuel trims tell a lot about the individual cylinders and how well your engine is functioning. Saved me a bunch of money.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I was able to scan and evaluate the data stream for fuel trims on each cylinder which helped me isolate the problem when I had a misfire. It turned out to be out of spec, original spark plugs that were bad. Fuel trims tell a lot about the individual cylinders and how well your engine is functioning. Saved me a bunch of money.
Can you please explain what is a "fuel trim"? I've never heard that term. Thanks!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts