BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that there are not many 6-speed manual 535's out there, but I hope that someone on this site can help with diagnosis. I have a 2014 535 6-speed with 67,000 miles on it. A perfect car up to this point, but I have a question for everyone.

In the last month or so, I have noticed that I am having difficulty getting the clutch to release consistently and I just started feeling a slight "shudder" while the clutch is releasing in 1st gear. It is not slipping at all in any gear, but it seems that it releases at a slightly different position each time and it not as smooth as it used to be.

Is this early signs of a clutch or flywheel that is starting to wear? Can anyone come up with any other suggestions? Also, if it is the clutch, does anyone have experience with the costs to replace it? And, would you trust the clutch and flywheel on this car to an INDY? I hate to go back to the dealer. Does anyone have experience with an INDY who has done a clutch on this car in the Lehigh Valley / Allentown, Jersey or Philly area?

Thanks in advance for everyone's help.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Does it do it in the first gear only? When starting from rest? Can you make the car to start moving in the 2nd gear? Any difference? Could there be that your 1st gear is not properly engaging - bits of metal shavings got stuck somewhere? Ever changed manual transmission fluid?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have never changed the fluid. First gear engages ok, but when releasing the pedal, it is inconsistent and shudders a bit. I have never been able to start out in 2nd gear since I have owned the car. The revs do not seem to match up enough to engage the engine. The engine will shake and sputter if I try in 2nd gear.

I have always thought that BMW had a very strange feeling manual transmission in the 5-series compared to my other cars (which are all manual).

Does anyone have a link to the process for changing it?

·
Registered
623 Posts
I have no problem at all launching my 14' 535 in the 2nd gear. I think the ability to do so is the design requirement: something one is supposed to do in deep snow on the incline, etc. So, by this parameter, at least, something is not right, and I tend to agree with you that it is likely the clutch and not the gear box.

Changing MT transmission and differential fluids is not difficult, though tedious to get every last drop out of the differential, that has no drain plug. I had them done at the dealer's for some $300 or so. Still, this isn't gonna help you with the clutch problem. I never had the clutch failed on me in any of my BMWs in nearly 0.6 mln miles, so I don't know the cost associated, but expect it to be rather modest on the scale of things. Under $1k perhaps...

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have no problem at all launching my 14' 535 in the 2nd gear. I think the ability to do so is the design requirement: something one is supposed to do in deep snow on the incline, etc. So, by this parameter, at least, something is not right, and I tend to agree with you that it is likely the clutch and not the gear box.

Changing MT transmission and differential fluids is not difficult, though tedious to get every last drop out of the differential, that has no drain plug. I had them done at the dealer's for some $300 or so. Still, this isn't gonna help you with the clutch problem. I never had the clutch failed on me in any of my BMWs in nearly 0.6 mln miles, so I don't know the cost associated, but expect it to be rather modest on the scale of things. Under $1k perhaps...

I am not sure I understand your statement? Are you suggesting that the costs of the fluid change ($400) would be a worth while preventative investment regardless? I have an appointment for Thursday, and they quoted me $400 total. I have also never had a clutch fail in any of the BMW's, but this does not feel like failure, it just doesn't "feel right". I have driven over 1 million miles over the past 30 years, all in manual transmission cars and have never replaced a clutch (BMW or not). I have had to replace them on my racecar, so I know what a failing clutch feels like.

I just want to make sure I understand your statement.

Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Are you suggesting that the costs of the fluid change ($400) would be a worth while preventative investment regardless?
Only you can answer if throwing this amount of money on these particular PMs is of value to you. It entirely depends on what your plans for this car are. It is just bizarre on BMW part to claim any fluid to be lifetime. On M cars at least they were acknowledging that until very recently and were replacing them at the end of break in period at 1200 miles as a part of CBS. There is a broad consensus among internet people to replace these two fluids at 60k mark. Mike Miller over at Roundel thinks so too.
From my personal experience, I noticed no difference after the replacement. But my intention is to keep the car in perpetuity and I am able to afford to burn through a couple of Benjamins now and then without too much of the afterthought.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Only you can answer if throwing this amount of money on these particular PMs is of value to you. It entirely depends on what your plans for this car are. It is just bizarre on BMW part to claim any fluid to be lifetime. On M cars at least they were acknowledging that until very recently and were replacing them at the end of break in period at 1200 miles as a part of CBS. There is a broad consensus among internet people to replace these two fluids at 60k mark. Mike Miller over at Roundel thinks so too.
From my personal experience, I noticed no difference after the replacement. But my intention is to keep the car in perpetuity and I am able to afford to burn through a couple of Benjamins now and then without too much of the afterthought.
Thank you for the clarification. That is what I thought you had meant. I also want to keep this car as long as possible (the 6-speed, RWD, M-Sport just cannot be replaced any longer). Thank you for taking the time to reply. I do not mind spending money to keep it performing at its best.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I did the same, I had my indy change the fluid in the gearbox and differential. I think it is money well spent on preventative maintenance given that I want to keep the car running in top shape for a long time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts