BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
I've been searching and trying to get answers to one question....is the cigarette lighter socket underneath the passenger foot well has constant power and remains on after the car is shut off and locked.
I find several different answers as - yes it is always on no matter what or yes it is on for 5 min, yes it on for 8 min, 15 min or 20 min. Or no it does not stay on at all. Of course i can go and test myself but not really have time to.. i think it is easier if the forum gurus may know better for my model year.
I am trying to get a dash cam and wanted to figure out best way to wire it...i can always hard wire...already did for my radar detector, but there are options now that dash cams have parking mode, which needs power source when car is off. I can either purchase add on power bank or hardwire kit again, but need to know if cigarette lighter under foot well question, so I can make my decision.

Thanks in advance. Oh and if someone has done a dash cam install please let me know how u did it and wire it.

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
I am 99% sure it powers off along with all the other outlets in the car ~ approx 5 minutes

I have a dash cam, but haven't had the time to wire it. It's going to my center console at the moment.

·
Registered
667 Posts
That's right Sam-- that is where my dash cam is plugged in- so I'm not using the "parked" feature (nor adding a constant drain on the electrical system). It also powers up when a door is unlocked and/or opened; this results in an additional video file on the memory card . . . Based on review of the video files, the time this outlet stays "on" varies considerably: I have seen the time as low as about 90 seconds to nearly 5 minutes. This might be related to the actual charge state of the battery-- I don't really know, but it for sure is not consistent interval.

I was going to hard wire my cam, but this is totally out of sight and an incredibly easy place to plug in. The power cable is completely hidden . . . unless you are on the floor looking up at the power outlet.

·
Registered
152 Posts
5 Series might be the easiest car to install dash cam. You can forget about using cigarette lighter
Here's a video of a reseller that has a 5 series

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0A7Itwk254

If money isn't a problem and you haven't purchased a dash cam yet, just go all the way with blackvue cams. For over 1 and half years with my experience with dash cams, blackvue might still be the only dash cam with cloud connectivity.
Also if you require monitoring your car while parked, get yourself an external battery the dash cam connects to, so you eliminate the chance of you draining the car battery.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts