BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I have been reading posts for the past few weeks as I am in search of a new vehicle. I have come across a cherry 2014 535i xDrive and want to better understand the value of what I am looking at. I have attached a PDF with the details of the car.

I would appreciate any thoughts on fair market price from dealer to me with remaining warranty/CPO. In addition, any questions or things I should look out for with this model.

The 535i has 28,000 miles on it and not a mark inside or out. I drove it, which was my first mistake..... I now have the bug! :bow:

Thanks for your help!

Ted

Attachments

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They have it listed at $44k right now. Awaiting their "best" price. My target was $40k, but wanted to make sure I had supporting info.

·
Registered
237 Posts
CPO and mint, from BMW dealer Your good at 38-40k.
"Price is only an issue in the absence of value". If you get what you want, its worth it.

That from me who paid $38 for a MSRP of 65k but got a manual transmission MSport 4 months ago with 28k miles. Do you know what I don't think about?
What I paid. I got a great car, not a great price. But not a bad price.
Do you know what I do think about? Got this great car for 58 cents on the dollar from MSRP. I got 38 mos Warranty to boot!!!! Im happy.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds like solid advice Nalod!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just got the formal $$. They are coming in at $43k firm. Remaining factory warranty is through August 2017. CPO picks up then and ends 8-31-2019 or 100,000 miles.

Higher than I wanted.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I love my 2014!!!! Go get it!!! It has lots of nice upgrades. This is not a base model. The Heads up Display is one of my favorite options.

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
CPO and mint, from BMW dealer Your good at 38-40k.
"Price is only an issue in the absence of value". If you get what you want, its worth it.

That from me who paid $38 for a MSRP of 65k but got a manual transmission MSport 4 months ago with 28k miles. Do you know what I don't think about?
What I paid. I got a great car, not a great price. But not a bad price.
Do you know what I do think about? Got this great car for 58 cents on the dollar from MSRP. I got 38 mos Warranty to boot!!!! Im happy.
This is excellent advice :thumbup:

Just saw that they are at 43K "firm"... is that "firm" as in over email? You might be able to get them down to that 40K mark if you told them thats your number and you are ready to come down and buy it for that number.

I have not checked edmunds or nadaguides etc for the value of that particular car... but Nalod's advice is stellar in that, if its the car you want, you are still paying 50-60 percent of new, for a car that is VERY nice.

·
Premium Member
2020 G12; 2019 G01' 2020 MB E450 wagon
1,481 Posts
Similar to my '14. I'd agree to go and sit down with them and tell them you are willing to buy it right there for 40. They've come down just $1,000. But will you walk if the deal is $41,500? If you do, I predict you will regret it.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
After discussion with the sales team, they are firm on $43k. I guess I just need to decide if that is acceptable to me. Bottom line, it is at KBB certified for my area, mileage and features and is cherry.

·
Registered
237 Posts
"Fear of Regret"...........
It motivates lots of people.

I had shopped for months and really was hesitant to buy a car sight unseen and have it shipped. at the same time, didn't want to get on a plane and drive two days home either.
So for me, it was a very particular car with very particular equipment and only an hour away at a reputable BMW dealership. I had very little leverage. Car was on the lot a week and low mileage Msports with MT don't last long!
If your broader based on what you want, then walk and keep looking.
I will say that if the car has a good history, you'll pay a premium for that and it thru BMW. Go outside the dealership the prices drop, but can the quality of the car. Do they keep the best of the lease returns??? Is that worth it??
can you find a similar 2013 off lease for a few grand less?

No right or wrong here.
Its a depreciating asset. Never shop after you make a purchase unless you like to punish yourself!
Some people need a "deal" over "this is what I want". Again, no right or wrong.
If you don't need a car right away, and have range of colors and equipment then walk. If the car is fresh on the lot they won't come down much. If you have a budget, then stick to it.
If its "I don't want to feel like a chump", well that's to be factored in. Just make sure you try to stack deck and get a clean car cuz if these cars become a problem (it can happen no matter how "clean" it is!!) your going to pay far more in the long run.
Come up if you care to and make your final offer.

Sorry we can't help more. We all been in the same boat you are.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Unfortunately I believe the proverbial hook has been set in this large mouth bass....... the car just came in and has not even been through CPO process, so there is no timing leverage. And because I already seem to have a Gollum obsession with this "Precious".... I am probably going to execute the deal.

I appreciate all the insight!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It is kinda hard to say no.......

Attachments

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
:thumbup: Sent PM

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
:thumbup: Sent PM
This may or may not help you... It might help you NOT purchase it because you worry more about how much profit the dealer is making, rather than being worried about wether you want the car or not.

Nalod said it really well (again).

Information is great, but just understand that, even if you are given the dealers purchase number and its accurate to the penny, that wont help you if they wont move off the price they have (except to make you feel like you are getting ripped off).

If they wont move, its because they think they can get whatever they are asking for it. sometimes, you just have to bite the bullet to get what you want, if you really want it. No one wants to feel ripped off, but if that particular car is calling your name, and it is the exact color and has the exact features you want, that is worth something... only you know what though.

Good luck, tell us what you decide.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
The fish has been landed (me)! I took ownership last night of my 2014 535i xDrive.

The seed was planted early by my Father in the early 70's (little brother not happy)

What a blast to drive. A dream car at any age, but 51 feels good. Paid more than my target price, but wow is it nice! I hope she treats me good with some longevity.

I am compiling a list of questions as my delivery was not as informative as I would have liked.

Thanks for all the input!

Ted

1 - 20 of 27 Posts