Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I need some help. I have a BMW x3 2014 with only 32,000 miles on it.. The dealer and another mechanic are saying the rear brakes need to be changed asap.. Is this normal? I feel I do t have that many miles on my car to have the brakes replaced already..

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hey

I have a 2017 2.0d XDrive and my rear brakes did 30,000km which is about 18k miles.

After a bit of digging and research i found that it has to do with the way that I drive and the speed that i take corners and etc.

What also does not help the brakes is that i tow a 1.6 tonne boat. Down a big hill i do need to hit the brakes as the car keeps the speed and this is done by engine braking as well as rear pads..hence the significant wear on them..

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hey

I have a 2017 2.0d XDrive and my rear brakes did 30,000km which is about 18k miles.

After a bit of digging and research i found that it has to do with the way that I drive and the speed that i take corners and etc.

What also does not help the brakes is that i tow a 1.6 tonne boat. Down a big hill i do need to hit the brakes as the car keeps the speed and this is done by engine braking as well as rear pads..hence the significant wear on them..

So, how do you drive that inflicts such wear to your brakes??

·
Registered
332 Posts
How many miles you have or how you drive are factors that can contribute to increased brake wear but not reasons to replace your brakes.

The reasons you replace brakes is there is damage to the pads or rotors or either the pads or rotors or both have worn down past their useful life. Most commonly the brake pads will be too worn down in which case they should be able to tell you what the current size is.

Something like "your rear brake pads are at 3mm" or something like that. And it doesn't hurt to check for yourself. I've had mechanics tell me my brakes were at 2mm and then when I changed them myself I measured them and they were at 8mm.

You can usually measure the outer pads yourself. I take metric hex keys and slip them in between the rotor and backing plate of the brake pad to see how much brake pad material is left.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts