Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an oil leak that is creating great grief. I have a 2014 535i N55 65k miles. I have an oil leak that appears to be coming from the head gasket just below the first cylinder. At first the oil filter housing gasket was suspect so I replaced gasket this did not fix so next I replaced entire housing with the included BMW gaskets. This did not fix so upon closer examination it was realized that the leak was coming from a 1/4" area of the head gasket just below the first intake runner. is this a blown head gasket or an oil leak migrating and escaping there? :mad:

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
I have an oil leak that is creating great grief. I have a 2014 535i N55 65k miles. I have an oil leak that appears to be coming from the head gasket just below the first cylinder. At first the oil filter housing gasket was suspect so I replaced gasket this did not fix so next I replaced entire housing with the included BMW gaskets. This did not fix so upon closer examination it was realized that the leak was coming from a 1/4" area of the head gasket just below the first intake runner. is this a blown head gasket or an oil leak migrating and escaping there? :mad:
Sounds like a valve cover gasket. Head gaskets don't leak oil.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yes that is exactly what I was thinking. Valve cover is not leaking from above the cylinder banks or from anywhere I can see. Do you have any other ideas How else can oil get to this spot? I do realize that there must be oil pressure as the oil travels from the filter housing to the head interface then how does the oil get to the block? I guess I would need to see an oiling diagram to see oil flow. Does anybody have something like this?

View attachment Doc1.pdf

·
Premium Member
Current: 2009 E63 650i Coupe, 2009 E92 M3 Past: 2012 F10 535i, 2009 E93 335i vert, 2007 Roush 427r
72 Posts
There are two oil filter housing gaskets and you refer to "gasket" singular. Did you miss one. The area of your leak is where the oil filter housing leaks, I'd double check again. My housing leaked again after 20,000 miles because I didn't use a torque wrench, I thought I could do it by feel. edit. I read your post again and see you replaced the whole housing with "gaskets". I'd still take a close look around the housing again.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Leaky N55 Head Gasket

Cleaned it all up again today. it is definitely looks like it is coming from the head gasket. I am now wondering how practical it is for me to do this myself. I have done several head gasket and major engine repairs myself, but have not had a N55 head off.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts