Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My A/C used to cool colder than ice very quickly after startup. Recently it started to require driving for it to cool, and even then it’s not as cold as it used to be. Thoughts on causes?

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 98K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
16,399 Posts
BMW IHKA HVAC incorporates a cold start-up prevention. It may be more noticeable during one season than another. It requires some engine heat for temperature control before full cooling capabilities are enabled. The BMW IHKA HVAC is not intended or designed to provide a frigid blast but to gently maintain set cabin temperatures.

I have posted the technical description of IHKA many times. www.newtis.info includes IHKA HVAC troubleshooting information. The capacity test is the same across all platforms that I have studied.

·
Registered
12,069 Posts
Just in case you don***8217;t know or forgot...where is your stratified air dial set on the dash***8217;s center vent?
When was the last time the interior recirculation filters replaced?

·
Registered
2013 750i and 2015 740i
1,935 Posts

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 98K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
16,399 Posts
If the AC is no longer blowing cold, the most likely cause is low refrigerant. Even though the system is sealed, some refrigerant will be lost through the compressor when it is running. Given the age of the car, it may be normal loss and the system just needs to be evacuated and refilled to the specified amount.

Below is the article about refrigerant:

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f06-650i-cou/repair-manuals/64-heating-air-conditioning/64-50-air-conditioning-check/1VnYI6BJG5
Did YOU read your linked article with understanding? Particularly the part about permissible leak rate, 30 grams 1 ounce per year up to 150 grams 5 ounces before it is permissible to recharge.

BMW HVAC is ECE type accepted and very robust and ECE allows interference only by licensed TECHNICIANS - not shadetree mechanics.

·
Registered
2013 750i and 2015 740i
1,935 Posts
Did YOU read your linked article with understanding? Particularly the part about permissible leak rate, 30 grams 1 ounce per year up to 150 grams 5 ounces before it is permissible to recharge.
Not sure what is the point that you're trying to make. Without evacuating the system, how can you tell whether the leak rate is permissible?

BMW HVAC is ECE type accepted and very robust and ECE allows interference only by licensed TECHNICIANS - not shadetree mechanics.
I never suggested this was something you can DIY. It's always better to be equipped with some knowledge beforehand when going to the dealer.

·
Registered
12,069 Posts
My A/C used to cool colder than ice very quickly after startup. Recently it started to require driving for it to cool, and even then it’s not as cold as it used to be. Thoughts on causes?
Just to verify...are you driving in Eco Pro mode? If you are, it affects the AC.

·
Registered
109 Posts
One of my vehicles was having a similar problem. I ended up changing the cabin filter, recharging air con system, and replacing shutters. Seems to work better.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

1 - 8 of 8 Posts