Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 535GT with 50k miles. A couple weeks ago i pulled out of my garage and noticed a very rough ride. The driver side rear suspension was low but as I drove the air spring inflated and the car drove fine. I had it happen one other time but again the air spring inflated and there were no issues.

I took it to a local repair shop and they said there was an air spring leak and quoted me $1500 to replace both air springs and updated torsional vibration dampers, whatever that means.

Yesterday I noticed the air level decrease as soon as I pulled into the garage the pressure dropped almost instantly. I restarted the car and the spring restored to its normal level.

Today I took it into Pep Boys for an alignment and had them look at it. They sprayed a soapy water solution on the air spring and there was no apparent leak.

Any ideas what it could be? I'm getting conflicting information and want to make sure I am fixing the right issue before I spend money on the repair. The fact that it deflated immediately after I stopped the car the other day makes me think it's something other than a leaking spring but I am not sure. I have not had it deflate immediately again. Today the car has acted normally with no pressure loss.

·
Registered
539 Posts
It's a free repair by BMW. There is a technical service bulletin on the left rear air bag. It's like a recall but voluntary.

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=864753

I had mine done for free after it exploded. Get it done immediately before that happens. My right side was done under the extended warranty because it was leaking.

As for the "updated torsional vibration dampers", sounds like BS to me.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts