BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum, though I've had my i3 for about 18 months. About two months ago the ACC stopped working- it simply wouldn't activate at all. I would press the button to activate and it was completely unresponsive. Took it to the dealership, they attributed it to a "charging fault", fixed it, and I got my car back. About three weeks later I used the ACC for the first time since getting it fixed (I don't use it much since I'm mostly in stop and go traffic). Got to work, turned off the car, came back out and tried to use it on the way home and guess what- stopped working again.

Now they've had my car since last Thursday and still cannot figure out what is wrong with it. No faults of any kind are popping up and they've contacted BMW higher ups to figure it out.

Anyone else here have this issue?

-bi3mmer

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Take a close look from outside at the camera below the mirror and see if the glass is clear, or there's some obstruction. The ACC won't work if the camera can't see anything.

Does the system come on at all? Can you use it as a 'normal' CC? It should default back to that mode if there's an issue with the camera. A warning that the ACC wont' work does not mean that the rest of the system can't perform in normal CC mode, but if that's not working either, it's a more fundamental system problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response! There is nothing that comes up when I push the cruise control button. The icon doesn't come up at all- it's as if I don't even have cruise control on my car at all

Take a close look from outside at the camera below the mirror and see if the glass is clear, or there's some obstruction. The ACC won't work if the camera can't see anything.

Does the system come on at all? Can you use it as a 'normal' CC? It should default back to that mode if there's an issue with the camera. A warning that the ACC wont' work does not mean that the rest of the system can't perform in normal CC mode, but if that's not working either, it's a more fundamental system problem.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
It could be as simple as a loose connection somewhere. SOunds like it could be the steering wheel's buttons not sending the appropriate message to the computer, otherwise, the computer would see that, and if it couldn't comply because something else in the system was bad, it would then alert you. But, no input to request the function, no reaction. Or, the computer is trash. There may be other possibilities.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You seem to be right for now! The dealership called to let me know they've ordered a new switch, as they believe it to be faulty. Getting the car back on Friday, so hopefully it's fixed and really was a minor repair rather than some weird electronic fault or something.

In the meantime I'm enjoying the 328i Xdrive they've given me as a loaner, though it feels foreign to operate a gas pump at the moment... :rofl:

It could be as simple as a loose connection somewhere. SOunds like it could be the steering wheel's buttons not sending the appropriate message to the computer, otherwise, the computer would see that, and if it couldn't comply because something else in the system was bad, it would then alert you. But, no input to request the function, no reaction. Or, the computer is trash. There may be other possibilities.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts