BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Is the rear comfort seat option the same thing one gets with 3rd Row

Have a 2012 E70 w/3rd row and the middle seats recline and move backwards and forwards.

Is this the equivalent of having the comfort rear seat option when not ordering the 3rd row?

The other question is if having the comfort seats gives rear passengers MORE legroom? Or is the standard (non-comfort seat option) rear seating position the equivalent of the maximum legroom seating position of the comfort seat option? Hope that question makes sense.

I like the ability to recline the middle row seats and slide them back and forth but have also had issues with mine not "locking" into place and throwing errors due to pinched wires.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have a popping rattle in the cargo area and have isolated it to the rear hatch. I can recreate it by standing outside the rear hatch and pressing on the bottom of it. Seems to be mostly on the right side.

·
Registered
1 Posts
x5 2014 rattles

I joint the group of X5 2014 x35. Many rattles, creaks, and R rear thumping on larger
pavement breaks. Is there a chassis integrity problem? Have they reduced body
rigidity; is it missing welds or something.:tsk:

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a popping rattle in the cargo area and have isolated it to the rear hatch. I can recreate it by standing outside the rear hatch and pressing on the bottom of it. Seems to be mostly on the right side.
I have the same issue too. Anybody has a permanent fix for that?

·
Registered
133 Posts
I had a HUGE rattling noise in the back seat, when I look back I forgot I was giving my mother in law in the back seat a ride to the market and her mouth was just RATTLING away. Kicked her out and problem solved. :p

·
Registered
848 Posts
All of this is interesting. Our X5 50i has been rattle free. Probably the tightest vehicle we have ever owned. I think the MIL issue is a common problem with all of us, but you are a brave, brave man for making that comment in public! :<)

·
Registered
133 Posts
All of this is interesting. Our X5 50i has been rattle free. Probably the tightest vehicle we have ever owned. I think the MIL issue is a common problem with all of us, but you are a brave, brave man for making that comment in public! :<)
I do it cuz wifey doesn't visit this forum ;)

·
Registered
848 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Speaking of rattles. Had a new 2015 X4 loaner last week. That car sounded like had
a tool box in back. Every little bump. Very few miles and they said just put
it out on loaner fleet. Nice car but did not feel as solid as the 3 series have certainly not
like the X5 dropped off. Sure liked the new electric steering. Not one here that cares
for feedback from driving.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I posted early in this thread about a rattle I had from day one. I would describe it as a tapping/clicking sound which was coming from under the vehicle in the area of the right rear passenger seat. It would come and go and really had no consistency to it. I took my vehicle in last week for its scheduled oill change and for a few other minor things and mentioned the rattle again. This time it finally made the noise and the mechanic traced it to the "Transfer Pump on top of the Passive Tank". From what I understand it deals with the diesel oil. They replaced the pump and for the first time since owning this vehicle its quite! Hopefully this helps someone locate it quicker than I did.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I heard a rattling noise at idle and driving. Dealer determined it was the diesel pump. Got that fixed. No more noise.

09 328xi
Black on Chestnut Brown
10 335d
Crimson Red on Oyster/Black
'14 X5 Diesel M sport
Carbon Black on Mocha Nappa
Hi Vik0424, I am having similar problem with my 35D. I have ratting noise on the passenger side at idle or when the car is moving without the gas is not being pressed. Is this consistent with what you have?

·
2013 Range Rover Sport
1 Posts
Dear Members,

I drove out a new X5 50i out the dealer yesterday and was so annoyed by ticking/rattling noise coming from passenger side. It was a constant ticking rattle which was obviously abnormal. So, I took it to the dealer today and they said they fixed something but driving home, again rattle started.

Anyone experienced similar issue?

Please share your thoughts on this.

Thanks!!
Dear Rattle X5,

I have a 2015 X5 50I and have the same problem. The pillar cover on the passenger side ticks constantly. The drivers window ticks for a while when opened and closed. The console squeaks when I drive (slowly) over speed bumps. I have taken the car back to the dealer who informed me that the car must settle in for some time and the ticks and squeaks will disappear. This is very annoying-have you found a solution?

Kind regards-Brandon

·
Registered
11 Posts
Unfortunately it will not settle - do let us know please if it settled since your post is dated now.
Even furthermore, BMW services a lot of times don't care. Hence, why a lot of people keep switching to Audis and MBs.
When BMW rolled out the new F15, the issues began because half of parts have been contracted out and produced in USA for the first time. The spec of plastics has been horrific (Not only they rattle but also feel hollow as some people mentioned here). Leather seats would leave a** marks. Vents make noises. AC makes 5-10s crackling noise like someone mentioned after cold start. BMW is all aware of these issues but doesn't provide any remedies. They did however hire a quality control company which seems to have resolved majority of the issues for subsequently produced F15, and if you have a friend who just bought a brand new F15 (or go to a dealer for that matter), go ahead and try to look at the quality of plastics on panels, hatch, vents, doors and you will notice they don't feel hollow, they don't rattle even under decent hand pressure.

For all of those who have rattles that have not been resolved by their dealers I suggest we start a thread posting VIN numbers and send a nice group letter from owners to BMW headquarters to resolve these production issues. Felt tapes and lubricants won't do it. Some of the interior plastic parts need to be ordered and replaced.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I've owned a few F15s and no rattles at all. My current one is at 14K and trouble free.

Repair quality can really vary depending on the dealer.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've owned a few F15s and no rattles at all. My current one is at 14K and trouble free.

Repair quality can really vary depending on the dealer.
As I said, it depends when the vehicle has been produced. First 12-18 months of production I see issues all around. Multiple complaints from multiple owners. Of course, clowns at the service are not even worth discussing...

·
Registered
106 Posts
...brand new F15 (or go to a dealer for that matter), go ahead and try to look at the quality of plastics on panels, hatch, vents, doors and you will notice they don't feel hollow, they don't rattle even under decent hand pressure.

For all of those who have rattles that have not been resolved by their dealers I suggest we start a thread posting VIN numbers and send a nice group letter from owners to BMW headquarters to resolve these production issues. Felt tapes and lubricants won't do it. Some of the interior plastic parts need to be ordered and replaced.
I'm having the same issue with the B pillar trim (it creaks and pops, and pressing on it creates sounds akin to styrofoam under pressure). I'm wondering if there is a way to order newer replacement trim while ensuring that it doesn't come from on-hand stock that will lead to the same issue...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Same rear cargo rattle issue with my 2014 X5 35D x-line. I have 39K miles on the vehicle and the issue is trigger by small bumps in road has gotten progressively worse. Great to hear that the fix can be as simple as a hatchback adjustment and lube. And yes, these vehicles are far too expensive to put up with rattles! Going into dealer next week.

·
Registered
609 Posts
My new 2016 has a pillar rattle in the cold. The door panel creaks and crunches when you grab the handle to push or pull the door. My 2014 and 2015 Grand Cherokee both felt more well put together. I still love the X5 more, I just wish it felt more vault like, like my 2009 335i sedan did.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
1 Posts
The rattle has been fixed myself.

Please note that this fix only pertains to Comfort Rear Seat optioned F15 with rattle occurring in the back seat area.

There is a thin plastic strip which runs on the bottom metal rail where the rear seat moves back and forth on. This plastic strip was flapping up and down hitting the plastic cap located at the end of this rail.

Corrective Action:
-Remove affected Plastic Cap located at the bottom of the rear seat (there are total of four).
-Secure plastic strip which runs along the rail (I removed the bolt that was holing the metal rail, and bolted back on with the plastic strip attached).

It was a pretty simple fix, saved a time consuming trip to the dealer (dealer may have taken days to fix), but it did take a couple of hours (1 hr identifying the rattle source, 20 min to fix).

Now, our member with the same issue can fix this within 20 min.

Please let me know if you need any additional information doing this job.
I'm trying to locate this plastic strip with no luck. My X5 is a 2018. It should have the same comfort seat correct. It sounds like plastic flapping against metal, on the middle rail of the seat. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts