BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I know perhaps it is not a fair comparison because of the New vs the OLD.... Looking at both of these cars with similar equipment (pretty loaded with the contour seats)

Back in April, I had purchased a 2015 CPO 335i with 20K miles. I absolutely love how it drives. However, the seats are incredibly uncomfortable especially when driving for more than 30 minutes to the point that I am ready to get rid of it. Car is in mint condition, but I bought it for the right price and the dealer is willing to give me a "fair" deal

the difference in price between one car and the other is $15K which is a good amount of money, However one is a 2018 with almost 3 years left of warranty plus another year of CPO vs the two years for the 15 (1 year of manufacturers warranty plus the 1 year of CPO) In essence, it seems that the 18 would probably be the better "value", but again the difference is 15K which is a good amount.... the 15 would probably allow me to think "OK I made a mistake in purchasing the smaller 335K, and I can now change it for the larger 535K without incurring too much of a financial hit"

I did not go to the dealership thinking about a 2018 540I, but I did drive them back to back... Indeed there is a difference but for sure not night and day. Hard not to like the newer version.... I am sure this example applies to many situations of old vs new when it comes to price, looks, warranty, etc......

Crazy how both of these cars advertised at about $64K when new.... A three year old is now $30K and 1 year old is already selling for $45K... Why would anybody buy them new? Thee years from now, would I be able to get $15K/18K for the 15 model? Would I be able to get $27K/30K for the 18 model?

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
I know I know perhaps it is not a fair comparison because of the New vs the OLD.... Looking at both of these cars with similar equipment (pretty loaded with the contour seats)

Back in April, I had purchased a 2015 CPO 335i with 20K miles. I absolutely love how it drives. However, the seats are incredibly uncomfortable especially when driving for more than 30 minutes to the point that I am ready to get rid of it. Car is in mint condition, but I bought it for the right price and the dealer is willing to give me a "fair" deal

the difference in price between one car and the other is $15K which is a good amount of money, However one is a 2018 with almost 3 years left of warranty plus another year of CPO vs the two years for the 15 (1 year of manufacturers warranty plus the 1 year of CPO) In essence, it seems that the 18 would probably be the better "value", but again the difference is 15K which is a good amount.... the 15 would probably allow me to think "OK I made a mistake in purchasing the smaller 335K, and I can now change it for the larger 535K without incurring too much of a financial hit"

I did not go to the dealership thinking about a 2018 540I, but I did drive them back to back... Indeed there is a difference but for sure not night and day. Hard not to like the newer version.... I am sure this example applies to many situations of old vs new when it comes to price, looks, warranty, etc......

Crazy how both of these cars advertised at about $64K when new.... A three year old is now $30K and 1 year old is already selling for $45K... Why would anybody buy them new? Thee years from now, would I be able to get $15K/18K for the 15 model? Would I be able to get $27K/30K for the 18 model?
To answer the last question, no. Depreciation is not linear. The 1st couple/three years take the heaviest hit. After that depreciation flattens-out. We paid about 57% of the original sticker for a 2012 535i in 2015. From what I see, that's about average for my area.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts