BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
I am ready to order a 2015 X5 diesel. The Sales Agent says it will be August production. Since the engine improvements do not impact the diesel and the transmission improvements are at the start of production, initially I did not see these changes relevant to my order. After more thought I now am conflicted as to whether I should wait another month to get the upholstery upgrades. Any suggestions and/or photos of the upgraded upholstery? I will be getting the multi contour seats.
I do not believe that salespeople can place an order for a 2015 X5 in their system yet. Your salesperson may be putting in an order for a 2014 and, based upon the current demand, assuming that the X5 will not be built until August as a 2015.

Please let me know if I am mistaken and your salesperson shows you your production slot for a 2015 X5. One of the ways you could tell your order is a 2015 is by looking at the "Model" line on the order sheet. It should start with the number "15" as in "15XI X5 xDrive 35d".

Have not seen the new upholstery nor any pictures of it.

Good luck and please keep us informed.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Don't place that order until it's a 2015 slot

Thanks - you are right. I looked at the build and it was a 2014 build. When I questioned it I got some double talk from the salesman that what they are showing me is different that what they can order and once I put my deposit down it will be ordered as a 2015.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Don't order until you know you can get a 2015 and they have a slot showing a 2015. Otherwise you are likely to get a 2014 filled without the transmission changes noted above.

Historically the next model year go into the order bank sometime between mid-June and mid-July. My guess is sometime in early/mid-July. Just ask your salesperson to check the order bank once a week for you and you should be one of the earliest orders.

The press release also mentions "efficiency gains" as well as the 0-60 time improvements so will be interesting to see if MPG changes. Maybe +1-2mpg improvement? Having a 5,000 lb SUV that gets 23 city and 31 highway is already impressive. If they can add 1-2 to those totals then BMW engineers (and their transmission suppliers) are really doing some impressive work.

Finally, you should know that the first few cars of every new model year are typically held at SC plant for government mileage/emission testing, even if there aren't significant changes. With the new transmission, the government hold may be a bit longer than normal.

Good luck.

·
Registered
190 Posts
If you get a 2015 you should be good on the transmission

Right now my CA said that they only have pricing for the 2015's and cannot even order a 2015 as there are no allocations yet for them. My question is, I want to make sure I get the tech update in the tranny, the seat stitching would be a bonus, but I'm more concerned about the tranny update. So if mine happens to be built in August, is it safe to say I won't have the tranny update even thought its a 2015? Does anyone have a definitive answer on this? BMW did this to me last year when I ordered my 535 and I wanted to make sure mine had the passive M suspension. Up until Sept production the cars didn't have it. Mine was built in the last week in august and had it though.
There are production numbers being assigned for 2015s now as there is a guy in a separate thread that has one and I know of two others who also have been assigned 2015 production numbers. I believe the order bank started to be slotted on July 3, 2015.

My understanding is that if you get a 2015 then you will get the updated transmission, regardless of if it is built on August 1st or September 1st. However, it sounds like you will need a production slot after September 1st to receive the updated stitching.

You should probably just tell your salesperson that you want to wait for the stitching and then get a production slot after September 1st. That way you should get both the transmission update and the leather stitching update.

Good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.