Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

This is my first BMW, 2016 BMW 435i grand coupe, bought it new.
Has been babied since then.
I only use it to drive to work which is 6 miles one way, all local drive, no highway.
I rarely use it on the weekend, as we mostly use the SUV with kids.
So, it probably seen highway less than 20-30 times.
Thus the low 13K miles so far.

Went in for service today and they suggested to replace all four tires, the thread are very low that they showed me.
My question is about the tires, are they really that bad?
Consider I drive normally, and it only lasted for 13k miles?

They are telling me they will sell me at cost $255 a tire, $25 for installation, $10 for tire sensor, sound pretty good deal, comes to about $1,100 (before tax).
But if it last for only another 13k, may be I should be getting Michelin from Costco?

Thanks
CTP

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,449 Posts
Whatever tires you decide, learn about your BMW's alignment allowances and requirements. BMW spec alignment is for the convenience of the mechanic, and may please any user, from drifty kid to racer wannabe to frugal grandpa like me. What do YOU want your alignment to do, and what alignment numbers will accomplish that? Then tell the mechanic to what numbers to align your BMW.

I'll see if I can link to your alignment allowances.... check to see that this is yur platform
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/...ignment/32-00-steering-measurement/1Vnbhftp0d

If not, yours is nearby.

·
Registered
10,668 Posts
A. I. R.

Alignment, Inflation, Rotation

Also, just because somebody who works on a commission "suggests" you buy $1200 worth of tires from him doesn't mean you need to do it.

The first thing to do would be to measure the tread depths in each of the circumferential channels. A tread depth gauge costs about $3 and is available in any auto parts store. New tires have 9/32nnds to 10/32nds inch of tread. Anything below 2/32nds inch is illegal in most states. 3/32nds or 4/32nds inch is considered worn out. If you have all-season tires and are going to be driving in snow, 5/32nds inch or more of tread is necessary. From the tread wear patterns, you can tell if there's a problem and what the problem is. Some shops will report tread depth in millimeters (larger than a 32nd inch) to make the wear seem greater than it really is. If they say "4" and don't say also "32nds inch" or "millimeters," be wary.

The second thing to do is measure your tire pressures, A dial gauge is more accurate than the TPMS system. You should measure the pressures when the car is completely cooled down (12 hours for a modern BMW, since the engine compartment is so hot and sealed up so tight), and measured in the early morning (coldest part of the day and before sunlight hits some of the tires and heats them up). The TPMS doesn't warn you of low pressure until the pressure has decreased 20% from the baseline. That's seven PSI with a tire that's supposed to be at 35 PSI. All tires lose air, some more than others. It depends on the quality of the seal between the wheel and the tire. Some lose a half-PSI in two weeks, some lose one PSI in two weeks. It's a good idea to check and top tires off every two or three weeks, and before and after a day of driving on a road trip.

The third thing is rotation... maybe. The driven tires will usually wear faster than the undriven ones. On AWD BMW's, one axle still gets more power than the other and the tires on that axle will usually wear faster. BMW puts a lot of negative camber (tires tilted in at the top) on the rear tires. That makes the rear tires wear more on the inside. It's also what makes a BMW handle like a BMW. Some BMW's come with a square set-up (all tires and wheels the same size). Some have a staggered set-up (back tires and wheels are wider than the front ones). If you have a square set-up, you should have your tires rotate every 5k to 8k miles. That spreads the uneven and excessive wear out over all four tires. If you have a staggered set-up, you're doomed to replacing two tires at a time, or replacing all four with two of them still being in relatively good shape.

Practicing "A. I. R.", you should get at least 40k miles out of a set of all-season tires. My record is 79k miles. My second best is 74k miles. However, you likely have run-flat tires and they tend to wear faster and unevenly (as if they were underinflated). High performance tires will wear faster, because the rubber is goo-ie-er to stick to the pavement better, sort of like a really good pencil eraser wears out faster. I get 35k to 40k miles out of high-performance tires on my BMW's, and that's with occasionally flicking the car around. I do better on my non-BMW beater, because it's a lighter car.

With A. I. R. accomplished, you'll have to worry about your tires lasting so long that the sidewalls will craze (crack) due to sunlight exposure. Meguiar's Endurance will prevent that.

Attachments

·
Novice driver
3,898 Posts

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
I***8217;ve seen others say they***8217;ve gotten around 10-15k miles on the original tires. I think I got around 30k on mine (Contis).

·
Registered
10,668 Posts
I whacked a pothole a few months ago. The morons who run the utilities department of my town dig up pipes under the street, and then just fill the hole in with clay at first. A few weeks or months later, they'll put down new asphalt in the hole. One of the city's holes got me. The car still tracked straight. I measure and record my tread depths before each rotation, and then calculate the wear rate on each position of each tire. This showed me that I needed an alignment. But, it did so long before the tire was significantly damaged. Three tires had excessive outer wear, and the fourth had slightly elevated inner wear.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
We get 40,000 miles on OEM runflats, replacement goflats ....... 9 BMWS from 3 to 5 to 7 series ...... drive 80 plus on the freeway ..... no drifting.

My guess is your alignment was off to cause this wear ....... find a good independent tires shop ..... I would never buy tires from the dealer.

·
Registered
10,668 Posts
We get 40,000 miles on OEM runflats, replacement goflats ....... 9 BMWS from 3 to 5 to 7 series ...... drive 80 plus on the freeway ..... no drifting.

My guess is your alignment was off to cause this wear ....... find a good independent tires shop ..... I would never buy tires from the dealer.
Actually, $1100 plus tax is very reasonable for four OEM quality tires (Michelin, Continental, Pirelli, Bridgestone, Goodyear), especially in high-cost-of-living SF. Not all BMW dealers are thieves. If the car's leased, they have to have one of those brands of tires on the car when it's turned in. Also, BMW dealers know how to align BMW's, usually better than the typical tire shop. A BMW dealership is more likely to have a lever-less tire machine that doesn't scratch up the rims. Finally, BMW dealers have a special alignment wheel jig that doesn't scratch the wheels. It locks into those five little holes in the wheels in between the lug bolt holes, instead of clamping on onto the lip of the rims (and scratching them).

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,449 Posts
BMW KDS (Beissbarth) Kinematics Diagnosis System

Finally, BMW dealers have a special alignment wheel jig that doesn't scratch the wheels. It locks into those five little holes in the wheels in between the lug bolt holes, instead of clamping on onto the lip of the rims (and scratching them).
It is more than a little jig. It is a large system.

BMW KDS (Beissbarth) Kinematics Diagnosis System and environment

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/...2/repair-manuals/36-wheels-with-tyres/1sEsgk1

Many pages of capabilities and requirements.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, the quote they give for $255 seems to be a good deal, consider they will take care it correctly.

But I just came back for fixing the door lock rob vibration, they put scratches in the silver trim on three of the four doors!

Avoid BMW Pleasanton, CA dealer
Yelp has many bad comments, I go there since I worked right next to it, so for convenience to work, I went there.
The next available dealer is like 30 miles away, with bay area traffic, it's like over an hour drive away :(

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Yeah, the quote they give for $255 seems to be a good deal, consider they will take care it correctly.

But I just came back from fixing the door lock rob vibration, they put scratches in the silver trim on three of the four doors!

Avoid BMW Pleasanton, CA dealer
Yelp has many bad comments, I go there since I worked right next to it, so for convenience to work, I went there.
The next available dealer is like 30 miles away, with bay area traffic, it's like over an hour drive away :(

·
Registered
10,668 Posts
I drive an extra 50 miles to go to a BMW dealership with a competent service department. I was in the one closer when I was car shopping. I saw a confrontation between a customer and the service writer about the customer's car being all scratched up. That was the end of my considering buying a car there. I've bought four BMW's since then.

I always make sure my car is spotless when I bring it in for service. I have "PLEASE DO NOT WASH THIS CAR" signs on the car. I also put blue painter's tape on the (front) fenders down to the top of the wheel arch, give them a scratch-free socket for taking off the lug bolts, etc. I want them to know ahead of time that I'm a pain in the ass. That makes the service writer assign my car's work to a tech who is careful not to scratch it up.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts