BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a long time reader of the forums but this is my first time posting. I have a 2016 F36 w/xDrive and both M performance packages on it. I love driving the car (so responsive compared to my 328i) but about 6 months into owning it, I noticed a low-pitched whine that starts at 65 mph and carries through to 75 mph...then disappears. It is louder when the throttle is slack, and it doesn't seem to matter what gear I am in while going through that speed range (or RPM level). I recently took it into the BMW dealership and had the shop foreman come for a ride and he definitely heard it loud and clear, noting the difference in sound when letting the throttle off in that range. It's not tires, as they checked everything...and they even took another used F36 out they had on the lot and it did it too. Their conclusion: this is just normal for the car. After talking to the service manager and him confirming that multiple other customers have complained of the same thing, I'm asking to escalate. But wanted to see if anyone else is experiencing this?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update: Blaming tire wear

After having to go to two dealerships (on the advice of BMW Canada) to get someone to look at the car properly, they replaced the transfer case on my car. However, the noise is still there and they have told me it's because my back tires are more worn than my front tires, so I need to get new tires ($1200 for two back tires) just to make the noise go away! The crazy part is the noise started after only 5 months of driving on the tires last year...~7000 km/4400 miles. So that means if I replace the tires then I will get another 7000 km of wear before I have to replace again to get rid of the annoying noise. I'm so disappointed...anyone have any suggestions? I'm not ready to spend thousands of dollars a year on tires that I'm not even wearing out...they are just wearing unevenly based on the design of the car. Nuts.

:mad:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Low pitch whine

Maybe tires are more expensive in Canada but $1200.00 for 2 RFT's is highway robbery. Is this from your dealer? Get a second opinion from a tire dealer.
Yeah, I will definitely do that...but it's crazy that in order to not have a goofy noise in the car I have to buy new tires after on 7000km...that's an expensive yearly thing for no good reason. :-( I would also consider non-run flats but still...bugs me about the noise/wear.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Explanation from shop foreman...2mm tire difference causing vibration

Shop foreman told me that the size difference from wear is the cause of the vibration in the transfer case. Put newer tires (close to the same wear as my fronts) and the noise goes away. There is a 2mm difference in wear between my fronts/backs and he has never seen that set up the noise in the transfer case like it is. He also can't guarantee me that putting new tires on the back will not do the same thing as, once again, the size will be different than the fronts. They are going back to BMW to see what they say before looking at new tires.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.