BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

2016 G12 repair service manual

3611 Views 25 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  Elia8
Hi friends,
Im new to this forum but for as little as I've seen so far I've already learned a lot.
Last August 2021 I got a 2016 750I xDrive
I love the car! Unfortunately over these 8 months oil level went down twice enough to add 2 quarts at a time, needless to say that I continued driving. In the last month a tapping/knocking noise started to be heard driver side lower engine side. Also a powertrain malfunction warning came on intermittently with a "continue driving possible".
So after further evaluation I came to the conclusion that one or two rod bearings are bad. So in view of a possible engine rebuild I want to as you guys where can I find a complete shop service/repair manual for G12 with a N63B44TU2?
thank you in advance.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
BMW TIS or NewTIS - both subscription.
Reactions: Saraceno78
ISTA has all the info you need. -

Hi friends,
Im new to this forum but for as little as I've seen so far I've already learned a lot.
Last August 2021 I got a 2016 750I xDrive
I love the car! Unfortunately over these 8 months oil level went down twice enough to add 2 quarts at a time, needless to say that I continued driving. In the last month a tapping/knocking noise started to be heard driver side lower engine side. Also a powertrain malfunction warning came on intermittently with a "continue driving possible".
So after further evaluation I came to the conclusion that one or two rod bearings are bad. So in view of a possible engine rebuild I want to as you guys where can I find a complete shop service/repair manual for G12 with a N63B44TU2?
thank you in advance.
  • Love
That's awesome thank you so much, I will give it a row hopefully will be up and running.

Also I would love to hear your opinion on BG protool.. is it worth it or there is better?
I haven't tried it myself. But ISTA can do all the diagnostic stuff, and give you step-by-step replacement instructions with pictures. All you need is an Enet cable (and a computer with an Ethernet port) so ISTA can talk to the car (they are around $30). It works without talking to the car also (just put your VIN number into it). Here is the Enet cable I use - BMW MINI ROLLS OBD2 ENET Cable BOOTMOD3 F-Series G-Series Coding ESYS BIMMERCODE | eBay

I have never tried coding, but if you are into that BG Protool may be the way to go.
Also I would love to hear your opinion on BG protool.. is it worth it or there is better?
Very clear thank you a bunch. 🙏🏼
I haven't tried it myself. But ISTA can do all the diagnostic stuff, and give you step-by-step replacement instructions with pictures. All you need is an Enet cable (and a computer with an Ethernet port) so ISTA can talk to the car (they are around $30). It works without talking to the car also (just put your VIN number into it). Here is the Enet cable I use - BMW MINI ROLLS OBD2 ENET Cable BOOTMOD3 F-Series G-Series Coding ESYS BIMMERCODE | eBay

I have never tried coding, but if you are into that BG Protool may be the way to go.
Hi, I installed it. Now how do I get product key or password?
The link sends me to a UK based forum which doesn't accept members.
Can I purchase it with the latest software updates?
How much would it be?

You shouldn't need a password or have to pay for anything. I think the newest version does require a license, but the version I use ( 4.32.15) does not. The version I use is plenty new for your car (its BMW update from 2021-10-29).

Sorry. I should have made that clear in my posts above.

Robin750 on this forum says- " The most recent working version is 4.32.1x since 4.32.2x requires a license. "
Hi, I installed it. Now how do I get product key or password?
The link sends me to a UK based forum which doesn't accept members.
Can I purchase it with the latest software updates?
How much would it be?
Awesome 👌. I think I went on installing V4.34
But I'm going to try out your suggestion. .
Also I bought the ethernet cable to obd
Do I need ICOM for software update to any of the modules.
You shouldn't need a password or have to pay for anything. I think the newest version does require a license, but the version I use ( 4.32.15) does not. The version I use is plenty new for your car (its BMW update from 2021-10-29).

Robin750 on this forum says- " The most recent working version is 4.32.1x since 4.32.2x requires a license. "
For programming modules in the car you would need ICOM. You (generally) would only need to program a module if it is replaced, as there is usually no benefit to updating it's programming (although there are occasional program issues that BMW has fixed over the years). For diagnostics you only need the ENET cable.

Using ISTA to diagnose (or program with ICOM) might require the vehicle be put into "PAD" mode shown here - https://www.obdclearinghouse.com/Files/viewFile?fileID=2029 Although for me ISTA always seems to work without putting it in PAD mode (ISTA puts it into that mode by itself).

Some of the simple service functions (like registering a new 12V battery) do not require ICOM.

But you must be very careful with programming. You can turn your car into an un-drivable brick if something goes wrong. I do not know enough about programming using ICOM to comment more, but I do know an external power supply is needed. You should be able to find the info on Bimmerfest or other similar forums somewhere.

Also, here is the user manual for ISTA so you can learn more about it. - https://www.carmod.ru/files/icom/istad_en.pdf
Awesome 👌. I think I went on installing V4.34
But I'm going to try out your suggestion. .
Also I bought the ethernet cable to obd
Do I need ICOM for software update to any of the modules.
Super thanks that's very clear. Yeah I agree about programming only when needed. First I'm going to solve my knocking noise than would like to update the idrive with a newer version to fix bugs and hopefully get Android auto also I would like to add a display key.
Thank you a bunch for sharing your knowledge.
For programming modules in the car you would need ICOM. You (generally) would only need to program a module if it is replaced, as there is usually no benefit to updating it's programming (although there are occasional program issues that BMW has fixed over the years). For diagnostics you only need the ENET cable.

Using ISTA to diagnose (or program with ICOM) might require the vehicle be put into "PAD" mode shown here - https://www.obdclearinghouse.com/Files/viewFile?fileID=2029 Although for me ISTA always seems to work without putting it in PAD mode (ISTA puts it into that mode by itself).

Some of the simple service functions (like registering a new 12V battery) do not require ICOM.

But you must be very careful with programming. You can turn your car into an un-drivable brick if something goes wrong. I do not know enough about programming using ICOM to comment more, but I do know an external power supply is needed. You should be able to find the info on Bimmerfest or other similar forums somewhere.

Also, here is the user manual for ISTA so you can learn more about it. - https://www.carmod.ru/files/icom/istad_en.pdf
Hello everyone!
I installed version 4.32 with success no license.
Unfortunately, it doesn't work right I'm running windows 11 pro
screen size format was off and repair manual wasn't complete of diagrams and procedures. it was very basic.
any suggestions on what version is best for my machine?
I don't have any Windows 11 machines, but here is what I would try first- It is possible to tell Windows to run the program as if it were an older version of windows- Sometimes you can right click on the .EXE file (the application file) and then select "Properties", then click on the "Compatibility" tab and click on the "compatibility mode" box and select windows 10 in the menu under "run this program in compatibility mode for:" And apply that. You should restart the computer after that.

If you still find there is a problem, it may be a bad download with some data missing.
Hello everyone!
I installed version 4.32 with success no license.
Unfortunately, it doesn't work right I'm running windows 11 pro
screen size format was off and repair manual wasn't complete of diagrams and procedures. it was very basic.
Will do thanks 🙌🏼
I don't have any Windows 11 machines, but here is what I would try first- It is possible to tell Windows to run the program as if it were an older version of windows- Sometimes you can right click on the .EXE file (the application file) and then select "Properties", then click on the "Compatibility" tab and click on the "compatibility mode" box and select windows 10 in the menu under "run this program in compatibility mode for:" And apply that. You should restart the computer after that.

If you still find there is a problem, it may be a bad download with some data missing.
Can you post a screenshot? DPI scaling settings can sometimes cause problems, but if you are also missing data, you may have incomplete SQLiteDBs.

I don't know if Windows 11 comes with all of the necessary prerequisites, but check if you have Visual C++ 2015/2017/2019/2022 (both 32-bit and 64-bit, these are combined redistributables now) installed.
Product Azure Rectangle Font Screenshot

I reinstalled ver. 4.31.40 and still have same problem it's not complete no part list/diagrams and size is off.
I checked compatibility and it says win 10 and up as I said I'm running 11 pro so I'm ok there.
I also played with display resolutions from the highest to the lowest still same format.
Any of you have a good link where to get a good working package? with no license.
This is where I found current link:

i need it for my 2016 750i xdrive Thank you a bunch.
Can you post a screenshot? DPI scaling settings can sometimes cause problems, but if you are also missing data, you may have incomplete SQLiteDBs.

I don't know if Windows 11 comes with all of the necessary prerequisites, but check if you have Visual C++ 2015/2017/2019/2022 (both 32-bit and 64-bit, these are combined redistributables now) installed.
That's where I found mine. I use version 4.32.1x (4.32.15), but on a Windows 10 machine. What are you using for the Torrent download? I used the free version of BitTorent, and you must have 7-zip installed on the computer prior to clicking on the ISTA installer.

Are there any display settings in ISTA, like in the gear symbol? It is weird the rest of the program looks normal.
View attachment 1063601

I reinstalled ver. 4.31.40 and still have same problem it's not complete no part list/diagrams and size is off.
I checked compatibility and it says win 10 and up as I said I'm running 11 pro so I'm ok there.
I also played with display resolutions from the highest to the lowest still same format.
Any of you have a good link where to get a good working package? with no license.
This is where I found current link:

i need it for my 2016 750i xdrive Thank you a bunch.
Yeah I know it looks super weird, also missing info I feel isn't complete it feels like a mock-up version.
I know what you mean in ISTA settings, I looked no settings for window display at least I couldn't find it.
That's where I found mine. I use version 4.32.1x (4.32.15), but on a Windows 10 machine. What are you using for the Torrent download? I used the free version of BitTorent, and you must have 7-zip installed on the computer prior to clicking on the ISTA installer.

Are there any display settings in ISTA, like in the gear symbol? It is weird the rest of the program looks normal.
The text size and tiny scrollbar makes me think you have DPI scaling set higher than 100%. Change it, reboot, and see if it makes any difference.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts