BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you may remember that I had a problematic new 2016 X5 that was leased in January of this year. Problematic enough that I was able to get BMW NA to approve a vehicle exchange on my lease.

This is the wifes car which I dont drive often (but do drive sometimes to run errands that I want an SUV for).

There were no X5s available on the lots available to my dealer (or through exchange with another dealer) that we wanted, so the dealer ordered a car for my wife. This is our first ordered car. We decided to order an X5D. Its pretty loaded up with the exception of suspension options (options on the car are in my sig if your interested).

We just picked up the car this friday. Wife had test drove another X5D before we made our choice, and really liked the accelleration. I didnt drive it for the test drive because Its her car, and I wanted it to be her opinion on what to get.

Anyway, I drove it for the first time around town this weekend and I am really impressed!

Between the 35i Gasser and the 35D, the D feels more responsive, expecially off the line. The torque difference is noticeable and makes the 35D feel less heavy than the 35I even though I am sure they are similar in this regard.

Neither car has an updated suspension (both have / had base suspension), but the low end response on the 35D feels more like driving my 435 from an accelleration perspective than I expected. In sport mode this is really noticeable. I did not take the car faster than about 90 on the freeway, and I have heard that the 35d power peters out as you take the speed up. My wife will probably never go faster than 90.

Really pleasantly surprised at the difference!

The other thing is, both of the cars were m Sport models, but the outgoing car had the seats that come with the M sport model (sport seats I guess they are called). After all of the hype here on bimmerfest on the multi contour seats, we decided to order them.

I would like to add to the chorus of "you need to get these seats" that echoes around here. I love the fact that it has adjustable bolsters on the side, so I can make the seats feel more like my 435 sport seats. They are extremely comfortable, more so than any other seats in a car than I have sat in. I think they are more comfortable than my couch actually without being too soft, etc.

The "diesel" sound is almost non existent from the outside.. no ticking or anything. Does not sound quite like the 35i but doesnt sound bad at all. From INSIDE the cabin I would argue that it actually sounds better than the base exhaust. It has a nice throatiness that is not there on the 35i with the base exhaust, under acceleration. I would say I actually prefer the sound from in the cabin that the 35d makes (we drive with windows up, your mileage may vary).

Based on advice here, we did NOT get the ventilated version of the seats. I dont think we will miss that function, but I highly suggest upgrading to these seats. We went with dakota leather instead of nappa, for durability.

I came back from driving her car with a smile on my face, prompting my wife to tell me that " you cant have it" (lol). I am a little worried about the diesel emissions stuff people have gone through, but we will see how this goes. The car was substituted into my current lease, and I negotiated a great deal on my original X5 (which had an MSRP of 70.5k and has a monthly payment of 699). I am still paying $699 for the new one even though the MSRP on it is 75.4k due to BMW substituting the vehicle on my current lease.

Im pretty pleased with BMW and with this car in general. Will see how the next 2 years goes, but this might be a car we purchase off lease.

·
Happily Driving
2018 X5
7,084 Posts
If you purchased it I would have said make sure you get diesel fuel with the lowest bio-blend possible, or straight up D2.

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you purchased it I would have said make sure you get diesel fuel with the lowest bio-blend possible, or straight up D2.
Im still trying to figure out how to do that, since I might want to keep this vehicle. There is a ton of diesel around me, but I am having a hard time determining Biodiesel content.

For example, my local costco (which is now designated as "top tier" fuel which I know is just a certification) has diesel. Being a costco, the gas is definitely "fresh" as anyone who gets gas at a costco knows, they are busy every second they are open. NO chance of gas "sitting in the tank".

I am trying to find out the bio diesel content in the costco diesel. There is also a chevron, 76, and a shell around me within 5-6 miles or so with diesel. None of those will be as busy as the costco though.

·
Registered
412 Posts
If the pump is says nothing about biodiesel then there is none. If the pump says B20 then there is 20% biodiesel. B20 is the only blend that I have seen in San Diego. B20 haste much biodiesel to use in a BMW. The max allowed is 7% I believe.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts