Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELP!!!

I have 2016 BMW X5 Xdrive 20" rims and I'd like to know if any of you have replaced run flat tires with regular tires looking to solve the noise problem that produce the tires.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Most people, including myself, ran away from run flats at replacement time. I opted for Continental Extreme Contact Sport and am very happy with them. SO much quieter, less tracking and of course, a lot less money than run flats.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Constantly Learning
2,020 Posts
Same here but went with Conti DWS

·
Registered
12,145 Posts
I just swapped a set of staggered 20" Nitto Motivos (non run flats) that were just purchased in Nov/2018 but first mounted in April 2019 for my 06 e53 X5. Since the Nittos (with low mileage) have been sitting in the garage since Nov/2019 when I mounted the e53's winter tires...the front 20" Pirelli run flat tires on the f15 X5 were getting really low and I was looking to get a set of dedicated winters for it...I swapped the Nittos over and got rid of the Pirellis. BOY what a difference in noise, ride, and handling. Driving over rail road tracks, road imperfections, pot holes, man hole covers, etc is totally different experience (nicer)...and so is the lower noise level. It's actually quieter inside the cabin. (y)

If you can live with not having runflats...do it. But of course there are those that really do require the safety aspect of runflats...but I'm really falling on the side that I'd prefer a non runflat with a spare...screw the CAFE regulations that are pushing car manufacturers to only offer runflats.

Reactions: Edgy36-39

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 98K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
16,975 Posts
Some RFT are no where near as noisy as others. I changed from middle aged Bridgestone Duelers to NOKIAN WR G3 SUV RFT and they are much quieter nicer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts