Bimmerfest BMW banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
very nice. i like the black gills on the gray-works well. was enjoying my new ride too, until i had to go to Korea for a bit for work. Next week***8230; :)

·
Registered
191 Posts
Very nice ride XZLR8. I have the same color on the X5 M and did the side grills as well as the black kidney grills and am loving it! Although I've always swapped out the kidney grills, this time the dealer scratched the bumper and also (for whatever reason) decided to sandpaper the side of the car while installing the side grills (was told it was part of the install process)! I think I'll be fine with buffing out the scratches and they waived the install cost as well as the cost of the parts (close to $1K all in)... Enjoy the car!

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Very nice ride XZLR8. I have the same color on the X5 M and did the side grills as well as the black kidney grills and am loving it! Although I've always swapped out the kidney grills, this time the dealer scratched the bumper and also (for whatever reason) decided to sandpaper the side of the car while installing the side grills (was told it was part of the install process)! I think I'll be fine with buffing out the scratches and they waived the install cost as well as the cost of the parts (close to $1K all in)... Enjoy the car!
Do you have any pics of Donington w/ the black kidneys? I'm curious...

Sucks about the dealer damaging your car, though!

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #26

·
Registered
191 Posts
Nice. Make sure you ask the dealer to be extra careful... I'm dealing with a body shop for the front bumper scratch.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Nice. Make sure you ask the dealer to be extra careful... I'm dealing with a body shop for the front bumper scratch.
When they changed out the side gills, I noticed that they heavily taped all around the area first. I'm assuming the same process will be followed for the kidneys, but yes, extra caution will be needed.

My car had a paint "imperfection" on the passenger side front door that will need to be addresses at some point, probably during my first service, but it sucks to have paintwork done on a brand new vehicle.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Funny... My car (same color) also has an imperfection on the passenger side front door (above the door handle). What does yours look like? Mine looks like a spec of dust that was forgotten there when they painted.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Funny... My car (same color) also has an imperfection on the passenger side front door (above the door handle). What does yours look like? Mine looks like a spec of dust that was forgotten there when they painted.
Yep, same exact thing... right near where the hinge is. The detailer/prep guy called to tell me about it before I even saw the car. They offered to fix it pre-delivery, but I didn't want to wait, so they agreed to fix it at the first service if I decided to go ahead with it.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Well, she's here! I have a few light mods to accomplish -- front window tint, CF mirror caps, black side grilles -- before taking delivery, hoping within the week. Can't wait!
I love the engine and performance but the exterior is something to behold :cry: :tsk:

·
Registered
109 Posts
When they changed out the side gills, I noticed that they heavily taped all around the area first. I'm assuming the same process will be followed for the kidneys, but yes, extra caution will be needed.

My kidney grills and side gills came in. Do you know how long it took for the gill install? Dealer said kidneys were quick but the gills are bolted on and it will take a while. Just curious. Thanks

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
My kidney grills and side gills came in. Do you know how long it took for the gill install? Dealer said kidneys were quick but the gills are bolted on and it will take a while. Just curious. Thanks
I don't know for sure because it was all done before I took delivery. A couple hours, tops? Totally worth it, though.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I don't know for sure because it was all done before I took delivery. A couple hours, tops? Totally worth it, though.

Just make sure the technician knows how to install the side gills. I was told a couple of hours and ended up taking over 4 hours. They also scratched the area where they installed the gills on both sides and it was not installed properly. Good luck.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Just make sure the technician knows how to install the side gills. I was told a couple of hours and ended up taking over 4 hours. They also scratched the area where they installed the gills on both sides and it was not installed properly. Good luck.
Thanks for the heads up!

My wheels came in this morning. Getting tires mounted later. Perfect timing. What a nail bitter watching the weather and waiting. :D

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Thanks for the heads up!

My wheels came in this morning. Getting tires mounted later. Perfect timing. What a nail bitter watching the weather and waiting. :D
I think you still owe us some pics, by the way! Ha.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts