BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Bimmerfest Founder
15,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2017 BMW 5 Series Pricing

UPDATE: BMW released the pricing early - Read more here

The official photos and details have been released and we know the world debut will be at the Detroit Auto Show, now we want to know the price! Unfortunately US buyers will have to wait a little longer as pricing isn't coming until January.

The dealer demo G30 5 Series that have been seen at port are spec'ed by BMW NA and dealerships are forced to take them so no pricing has been released. Without pricing there is no way to order a car before, so it must be that most of February's production is not bound for the US. No reason has been given for the delay in releasing pricing.

·
Registered
599 Posts
My dealer has Canadian pricing. They have 2 cars on the way although I'm not sure whether they configured them or BMW did. There is definitely information on packages, pricing and residuals and interest rates in Canada. Information as of December 2, 2016. I'd be surprised if the US dealers didn't have the same information for internal use already.

·
Bimmerfest Founder
15,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I updated the first post to clarify. Basically without pricing there is no way customers are ordering cars in February. My guess is that while production for the G30 starts in February we will see few if any of them state side.

EOP is June so a 3 month run?
So it seems. BMW did the same thing with the 2012 F30 3 Series.

My dealer has Canadian pricing. They have 2 cars on the way although I'm not sure whether they configured them or BMW did. There is definitely information on packages, pricing and residuals and interest rates in Canada. Information as of December 2, 2016. I'd be surprised if the US dealers didn't have the same information for internal use already.
They don't, I've checked.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I updated the first post to clarify. Basically without pricing there is no way customers are ordering cars in February. My guess is that while production for the G30 starts in February we will see few if any of them state side.

So it seems. BMW did the same thing with the 2012 F30 3 Series.

They don't, I've checked.
Strange. SOP for the G30 was 11/16. My dealer will have the first 2 cars in late January. I have the full paper order guides along with the package breakdown and costs. Strange Canada would get this information before USA.

·
Bimmerfest Founder
15,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree but none of my sources seem to have it and there are plenty of members who have been asking their dealers for info. It doesn't seem to exist for the US yet.

Tim

·
Registered
619 Posts
Talked to my dealer yesterday and he has placed orders for his customers without pricing. Guess there are some that want to be first on the street with a new model. Most likely some arrangement was made where the dealer would take the unit back as inventory if pricing was too far out of line than estimated.

·
Bimmerfest Founder
15,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That is interesting. Thanks for posting that, I guess that explains what BMW is doing with the first bunch of allocations.

Tim

·
Registered
599 Posts
Talked to my dealer yesterday and he has placed orders for his customers without pricing. Guess there are some that want to be first on the street with a new model. Most likely some arrangement was made where the dealer would take the unit back as inventory if pricing was too far out of line than estimated.
It's not always about wanting to be the first. In my case my car is coming off lease in February, so I need a replacement as soon as possible. I'm sure many others are in the same boat.

·
Can has cheezburger
2,081 Posts
It's not always about wanting to be the first. In my case my car is coming off lease in February, so I need a replacement as soon as possible. I'm sure many others are in the same boat.
I feel your pain (Waiting on the M550 here...), but if your lease is a BMW through a BMWFS you can extend the lease until your new car arrives by up to 6 months IIRC. I'd talk to your CA about options there.

·
Registered
240 Posts
It is my understanding that if you have an order placed for another BMW, that BMWFS has a grace period until the new vehicle arrives. I believe the grace period can be up to 2-months on a leased vehicle.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
It is my understanding that if you have an order placed for another BMW, that BMWFS has a grace period until the new vehicle arrives. I believe the grace period can be up to 2-months on a leased vehicle.
I recently extended my lease. In a nutshell:

1. You can extend lease by 2-months without even placing an order.
2. After two months, you can extend further by placing an order.
3. Max extension is up to 6 months from the original date of lease return.
3. During extension period, you can cancel/terminate lease at anytime. BMWFS will pro-rate based off the number of days car was used and return remaining payment for that month.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I'm sure many people who had an early f10 unit on the forum would attest to the problems they had. A lot of people try to avoid the first batch for sure. aka guinea pigs

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
It is 6 months.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I'm sure many people who had an early f10 unit on the forum would attest to the problems they had. A lot of people try to avoid the first batch for sure. aka guinea pigs
Times have changed. It's a shrunken 7 series. Almost all of the tech is from the 7 series and the drivetrain is already being used in other models. So that leaves the active steering (which can be avoided if you are worried about its implementation in the new 5) and the suspension setup, which you will be able to assess for yourself on a test drive. I'd say this new generation car isn't such a big risk in its introduction year.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I'm in the same situation with my 535 also coming off lease in February. Unless I can get a few months from BMW to extend my lease, I'm almost forced to go to plan B meaning a car other than BMW. On top of that, the slow rate of introduction will undoubtedly lead to lousy deals.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I ordered my F10 the first year, but waited for a few months because the msport was not available day one, had no issues related to first production year, did not like it because I was coming from E60 and was hoping for improved model, and we all know F10 was not as good as E60, so after that I moved to 640gc and am very happy .
My lease us up on Feb, so I will order a new 540 as soon as is possible, I do not worry about first year production bugs, I will only delay order if some features are not available until July production, in either case I can extend the lease on the 640, even if I have to wait for a July production.
There are good deals on 7 series now, but I believe the 540 will be better

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
My F10 was one of the first manufactured for the US Market in 2010. I had zero issues with it. It was a great car.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts