Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, my first post about my first BMW. when I was at the dealership buying the car, no one mentioned anything about an "option code" required to order a car that goes above 130mph. Is there anyway I can do to have the dealership take care of it? If not, is there anything DIY I can do? Or does anyone know if it can be programmed and not void the warranty? TIA

P.S I'm in Georgia USA

Sent from my SM-N950U using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you buy it off the lot or configure it there?
Configure it, but they didn't have all the options I wanted (mostly tech conveniences) but the speed option was never mentioned anyways and I ended up getting one that was the closest configuration to what I wanted that was already preconfigured and set to ship?

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I have gone through this. You must order the car with the rev limiter delete (actually it just adjusts it up to about 155 mph). If you did not order the car with this, and you can convince the dealer to change it, it will require new modules from BMW and a reprogramming to change the speed limiter. My understanding is that for a very very brief period of time of operation it may be able to be changed by a simple re-flash of the ECU - I am unsure this is still possible. But in my case when I discovered my M550 did not have the speed option, I took the issue right to BMW. I suggested to them that it did not occur to me that the M550 would not be at the higher limit. It was changed, but they ordered parts from Germany and then it took the better part of a couple days and various part changes. You also must have appropriate speed rated tires. Good luck.

It does seem weird that a BMW of this caliber would have the top speed of a Honda Accord, but it is, what it is. Of course, top speed is meant to be tested in a safe environment like a dedicated race track. Candidly, you won't need the top speed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have gone through this. You must order the car with the rev limiter delete (actually it just adjusts it up to about 155 mph). If you did not order the car with this, and you can convince the dealer to change it, it will require new modules from BMW and a reprogramming to change the speed limiter. My understanding is that for a very very brief period of time of operation it may be able to be changed by a simple re-flash of the ECU - I am unsure this is still possible. But in my case when I discovered my M550 did not have the speed option, I took the issue right to BMW. I suggested to them that it did not occur to me that the M550 would not be at the higher limit. It was changed, but they ordered parts from Germany and then it took the better part of a couple days and various part changes. You also must have appropriate speed rated tires. Good luck.

It does seem weird that a BMW of this caliber would have the top speed of a Honda Accord, but it is, what it is. Of course, top speed is meant to be tested in a safe environment like a dedicated race track.
Thanks for the reply, when you said you took it straight to BMW, who did you specifically contact? I hope you remember, because my dealership is full of assholes!

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I emailed the head of sales/marketing for BMW Canada. I would start wth the dealer. Mine was helpful too and they did work together to remedy the situation. Depends on how loyal a customer you are too I would assume. In my family we have had about 9 BMWs.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Being in the US you will have to find the right person, but like I said I would inform the dealer. They are the ones who have to install it, so keep it civil.
I have been civil till they started giving me the runaround!!! Now I'm mad because they fed me one lie after another and I simply got fed up and didn't bring it up again! But if the head of marketing in the US answers me back.....it's gonna be on like donkey Kong

·
Registered
77 Posts
My understanding was that all the G30's were limited to 130mph, except if you had the M Sport package, then that package came with 155mph (or the M5).
It's a simple as that.

You can easily find YouTube videos of folks driving on the Autobahn in Germany, and the car starts topping out at 250 KPH (maybe a few kph more...)

Good luck though. Will be interesting to see if you get it changed. Never heard of it being coded (although that would be super cool if you could...)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My understanding was that all the G30's were limited to 130mph, except if you had the M Sport package, then that package came with 155mph (or the M5).
It's a simple as that.

You can easily find YouTube videos of folks driving on the Autobahn in Germany, and the car starts topping out at 250 KPH (maybe a few kph more...)

Good luck though. Will be interesting to see if you get it changed. Never heard of it being coded (although that would be super cool if you could...)
You see, that's the problem, I DO have an M Sport!!!! Its driving me ****ing nuts that a Kia can outrun me!!!! **** that, a souped up Honda si from 19xx can do that easy!!!!

·
Registered
77 Posts
So, if you have M-Sport, then it should do 155 no problem? What makes you think it won't?

I know I've seen that many places. Simple Googling:
Here's an article on it:https://www.automobilemag.com/news/2017-bmw-540i-first-drive-review/
"With the M Sport package and its mixed-performance run-flat tires, the 540i can do the sprint in just 4.9 seconds (4.7 seconds with xDrive) on to a top speed of 155 mph (without the M Sport package, Vmax is limited to 130 mph)."

·
Super Moderator
7,064 Posts
Hello everyone, my first post about my first BMW. when I was at the dealership buying the car, no one mentioned anything about an "option code" required to order a car that goes above 130mph. Is there anyway I can do to have the dealership take care of it? If not, is there anything DIY I can do? Or does anyone know if it can be programmed and not void the warranty? TIA

P.S I'm in Georgia USA

840 or 9XA will raise speed. It comes with certain package & tire options. Post purchase, only way to raise is coding and programming within 10 operating hours or certain tune companies.

·
Registered
2013 535xi
4,176 Posts

P.S I'm in Georgia USA

That sounds like an inventory search, configuring is setting all the options before it is built.
It also sounds like the option code was changed, in my F10 it was high speed synchronization.

·
Registered
8,890 Posts
So, if you have M-Sport, then it should do 155 no problem? What makes you think it won't?

I know I've seen that many places. Simple Googling:
Here's an article on it:https://www.automobilemag.com/news/2017-bmw-540i-first-drive-review/
"With the M Sport package and its mixed-performance run-flat tires, the 540i can do the sprint in just 4.9 seconds (4.7 seconds with xDrive) on to a top speed of 155 mph (without the M Sport package, Vmax is limited to 130 mph)."

Its not "m sport" that gives option 840 (increased high speed limiter), its the tires. If you order M sport with summer tires, you get the increased top speed limiter. If you order (or the car has) all season tires, top speed is 130.

Op is likely out of luck, unless he can get BMW to swap parts etc. In my state (california, one of the most consumer friendly ones in the country), there is no "cooling off period" for car deals, so the dealer does not HAVE to do anything... as they have a signed contract.

Now, BMW may want to help the OP, but going in "guns blazing" is going to be the fastest way to get them to "shut down" and tell OP to go pound sand (politely).

If the OP has driven the car more than 10 hours, hes likely looking at a buyback to get what he wants, or an after market tune (which could end up with warranty issues down the road if something happens).

·
Super Moderator
7,064 Posts
1 - 20 of 44 Posts