BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

For those looking for a more potent M2 option, another special edition will be hitting the US soon. This special M2 isn't the CS/GTS that's been spied testing either, it's an M Performance Edition.

Going by the code ZL9 in ordering systems of US BMW dealerships, the M Performance Edition M2 is a limited one at only 150 units. It is US only though. There aren't any performance numbers given, but it obviously comes decked out in M Performance bits inside and out. Some notable performance bits include an M Performance exhaust with titanium tips and M Performance coiler suspension. This M2 is also equipped with the M Driver's package, kicking the top speed up to 168 mph. Manual and DCT trans options are also both available. One negative, if you don't like white, to what sounds like a pretty good time on four wheels, it only comes in Alpine White.

Pricing on the M Performance M2 will be $61,695. That may be a negative too, since the standard M2 is around $10k less, but they are throwing a bunch of stuff at it and those parts always seem to add up quick.

Who's in?

Read more about the BMW M2 CS here!

Check out some spy pics of the M2 CS here!

Source BMWBLOG

Attachments

·
pay it forward
1,395 Posts
can i ask what the hp and tqe gains would be on this? Or maybe just a better throttle response? I am looking forward to making the M2 my next vehicle.

·
Registered
61 Posts
There is zero difference in engine, mapping, or throttle response. This is almost entirely a stock M2 with MPerformance parts, all of which are available for everybody to put on a stock M2--except lighter, manual seats, as I understand it.

·
Registered
141 Posts
@the kidd i checked one out last week or i was told it had the Mperfomance package, it sounded pretty throaty, i the exhaust was good for another few pones im guessing 10-12.

·
Registered
14,483 Posts
@the kidd i checked one out last week or i was told it had the Mperfomance package, it sounded pretty throaty, i the exhaust was good for another few pones im guessing 10-12.
Nope.

Those engines are governed to produce a specific maximum torque. Power equals torque times rotational velocity (in radians/time). So, if there's no increase in torque there's no increase in power. You might get a slight increase in fuel economy... maybe.

M2's do have an over-boost function that allows an additional 25 foot-pounds of torque for about seven seconds. But, this function is limited to a specific RPM range (about 1500 to 4700 RPM), and the maximum over-boost RPM is low enough that the maximum horsepower is not increased.

Here are graphs of the 228i's, M235i's, and M2's horsepower and torque vs. RPM from Road & Track Magazine. They got the M2's horsepower curve wrong, not accounting for the over-boost. So, I penciled the approximate correct horsepower curve in the second attachment. Notice that the increase horsepower from the over-boost does not exceed the maximum horsepower which occurs between about 5700 and 6500 RPM. Notice also that the maximum torque decreases above 5600 RPM, also limiting the maximum power.

Them's some expensive decals.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,181 Posts
But if people are buying them aren't they meeting a need? Would you rather they not make them?

I liken it to the Omega Speedmaster watch - there are so many versions. One that suits everyone.

·
Registered
14,483 Posts
wow. i am not even sure why bmw would produce these? Rhetorical. Money. I know. Hoping to get into one in the next year
"These" being the M2, or the decaled, carbon fibered version of the M2?

I'm a big fan of understatement. I'm also a big fan of keeping a car at least ten years. Don't expect those decals to look in any way attractive in ten years. But, ten years of sun baking will make them a royal PIA to get off. Worst case is that the adhesive could work itself into the paint in those ten years.

M2's have a big clear, protective clear plastic sheet in front of the rear wheels. This protects the rear quarter panels from rocks kicked up by the front wheels, and is common on cars with bulging rear quarter panels (e.g. M4's, 911's, old 944's). Even those will be a problem in time.

But, I want an M2, too. I'd rather have a 911, but fun/dollar is pretty powerful metric. The fun/dollar ratio is about a factor of two in favor of the M2 over a 911.

Actually, I think money is the reason they've limited the volume of M2 production. I suspect they figured out too late that these cars are taking a big bite out of the more profitable M4's sales.

·
pay it forward
1,395 Posts
"These" being the M2, or the decaled, carbon fibered version of the M2?

I'm a big fan of understatement. I'm also a big fan of keeping a car at least ten years. Don't expect those decals to look in any way attractive in ten years. But, ten years of sun baking will make them a royal PIA to get off. Worst case is that the adhesive could work itself into the paint in those ten years.

M2's have a big clear, protective clear plastic sheet in front of the rear wheels. This protects the rear quarter panels from rocks kicked up by the front wheels, and is common on cars with bulging rear quarter panels (e.g. M4's, 911's, old 944's). Even those will be a problem in time.

But, I want an M2, too. I'd rather have a 911, but fun/dollar is pretty powerful metric. The fun/dollar ratio is about a factor of two in favor of the M2 over a 911.

Actually, I think money is the reason they've limited the volume of M2 production. I suspect they figured out too late that these cars are taking a big bite out of the more profitable M4's sales.
Maybe they will lower the price of the M4:) It seems they hit the right chord with the M2 as far as understatements go IMO. Very goldilocks-ish. Not too big, not too small. Just right. In terms of size, length, engine specs, etc.

·
Registered
141 Posts
@david I'm sorry but every single dealer was at sticker. Not a cent over.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Well i have not purchased yet. I'm still deciding between m2-m4 I'm leaning towards m4 ED for 2018 so far. I saw your car on another thread, enjoy !!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Bob Smith BMW...I'm not sure what kind of a deal they would give you. I have bought 2 other BMW there in the past. But you can try. Ask for Mark Medrano. Say David Referred u on this forum. Good luck!
Thanks guys, No dealer is selling at MSRP. The cheapest so far is 5k over, i am still calling around. Many of these guys don't even know what i am talking about when I can their dealership. I am only interested in the M2 Performance Edition, 150 total made. I did get a knowledgable sales person and he told me straight that no dealer will sell at MSRP. Some are charging 20k over MSRP, I am most likely going to bite the bullet at 5k over. Still waiting on some return calls before i put my deposit down. i will keep you guys posted.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.